Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Trans brake Wiring
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trans brake Wiring
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
My car is currently wired with a delay box and the push button for the trans brake switches ground. The trans brake solenoid itself switches positive. I'd like to setup the car so I can take the delay box out and footbrake it. It has a pro tree valve body and has to have a trans brake button to use reverse. Is there a way the same push button can be used with the delay box removed to activate the trans brake solenoid to use reverse?

Posts: 27 | Location: MI | Registered: September 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We use a separate button for backup.
It would be much less complicated for you to do it that way.
Put it where you can reach it, but out of the way so it won't be accidentally bumped at a bad time.
Also, use a push button only or a momentary toggle switch.
I put in a terminal strip for just the delay box wiring. That way things can be added or changed easily.
I have my backup button hooked from 12V terminal right to the trans brake terminal.
Its been that way for many years.
Having the backup button on the dash lets you steer the car without getting twisted up.

Posts: 192 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Yes.

You need to wire it so that the GROUND for your button is coming from the GROUND terminal on the delay box. So that terminal on the delay box will have 2 wires on it: the actual ground to chassis for the delay box, and another wire that goes back up to your button. Your button will then have 2 wires that both go to the delay box. One to the GROUND terminal and one to the BUTTON or PB1 terminal.

When you remove the box, you'll need to make a 'dummy' plug to connect when the box is removed. This plug will have 4 wires total, creating 2 loops. You will loop the BUTTON and TRANSBRAKE wires together. You will also loop the +12V to what used to be the GROUND wire that goes to your button.

I can't take credit for this; I believe it was OHIOMAFIAWIREGUY that originally posted it. Used it on my brother's car and it works great.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 2464 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
Yes.

You need to wire it so that the GROUND for your button is coming from the GROUND terminal on the delay box. So that terminal on the delay box will have 2 wires on it: the actual ground to chassis for the delay box, and another wire that goes back up to your button. Your button will then have 2 wires that both go to the delay box. One to the GROUND terminal and one to the BUTTON or PB1 terminal.

When you remove the box, you'll need to make a 'dummy' plug to connect when the box is removed. This plug will have 4 wires total, creating 2 loops. You will loop the BUTTON and TRANSBRAKE wires together. You will also loop the +12V to what used to be the GROUND wire that goes to your button.

I can't take credit for this; I believe it was OHIOMAFIAWIREGUY that originally posted it. Used it on my brother's car and it works great.

That's pretty clever. Thank you!

Posts: 27 | Location: MI | Registered: September 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I think it will also depend on what kind of delay box it is. Some work off ground some work off hot. So the push button might need 12 volts hooked to it and not ground.

Posts: 21 | Location: Mid west | Registered: April 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Here's how Ohio does it for Negative from PB to Delay Box

Posts: 742 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
X2 on the above diagram. I set one up for someone that way also. Very simple to change and works well.

B.J. Masiello

Posts: 265 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: November 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys...Ive been in the desert all week!! Yep, that's the best way I have found.

Dykes & Strippers Custom Wiring
Auto Meter Authorized Dealer
CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack
399 inches of Horse Power Sales Power
1.031, 2.978, 4.640 at 147.47

Posts: 454 | Location: Lebanon, OH | Registered: March 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
When I used to footbrake my car with a pro tree brake, they didn't allow switches on the steering wheel. So I came up with a micro switch that had a roller on it and was activated when the shifter moved the linkage to reverse. Worked really well for years.

Posts: 151 | Location: Carthage,TN | Registered: April 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty_171:
When I used to footbrake my car with a pro tree brake, they didn't allow switches on the steering wheel. So I came up with a micro switch that had a roller on it and was activated when the shifter moved the linkage to reverse. Worked really well for years.

That is exactly what I have in both of my cars. I also use it as the TB switch since I don't use a Box and from time to time do Pro 500 Tree racing where they won't honor deep.

Posts: 1578 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post