Find
Notify
Tools

Honda Generator
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Just hit 100 hours, glad I got it.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Mine has over 1000 hours on it in just 2 years, it doesn't take long

Posts: 2422 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Mine doesn't get used much anymore but it has over 3000 on it with no issues, other than the recoil start rope breaking off all on its own.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Maybe this is of some help. Roof top Rv AC units need major amps to start and a fraction of that to run. Hard to start kits help tame that needed compressor start current.
Two types. Relay with a capacitor or a PTC Thermistor that typical on home units. Both are easy to install and once installed, greatly lower the kw needed from your Gen set.
I put one on my 2ton HVAC so I could use a smaller Gen set during a large hurricane power outage. I also put one on my RV 15,000 btu roof air and can start and run with a Honda EU 2000i. It came in handy when dry camping at the Grand Canyon.
Both need to be selected based on compressor size.
Rapid Start is a good brand for the relay version. I’d definitely recommend one with an electro mechanical relay, as opposed to solid state relay.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12161 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I can't remember which thread had info on generators and gcfi's. I have a B&S inverter generator that I have run my two rv ac's on all day in the past. Never a problem with it. Loaned it to a racing friend, and as soon as he would plug his trailer into it, it would pop the gcfi on the generator. As soon as he would plug the rv into it it would pop an overload code. The trailer and rv would run off the onboard generator, and he says it's fine on shore power at home.
We were using a 220 to 50 amp converter for the rv, which I use on mine. We were usng a 110 to 30 amp converter for the trailer, which is what he always uses on the trailer. I was stumped.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Rooftop AC's list a spec on their info sheet that says LOCKED ROTOR AMPS....and running amps

Typical 15,000 btu unit's are right around 15 running amps and the LOCKED ROTOR AMP DRAW is going to be around 3 times that momentarily...

Home AC' units generally have a double capacitor...

One side starts the compressor( HERM ) other side starts the fan......

Roof top AC's might benefit from adding a hot/hard start capacitor very easy to install and commonly available

GFCI's, trailers.....people getting shocks are issues I've seen and been involved with trying to rectify a number of times

Everything has to be checked and wired properly for what you have. I've seen all kinds of issues and some are dangerous....

GFCI's are for your protection.....but they can cause lots of trouble....

I had one racer friend with a LQ trailer and no matter what he or I did, his Onan 5.5 Diesel power would be rejected by his inverter, control panel in the trailer
I literally rebuilt the 5.5 with all new parts he supplied from Onan.....made no difference
A cheap made in China portable worked fine....
Something about the Onan sine wave output power was being rejected by that inverter control was the best answer I could come up with

I've seen lots of those generators in service trucks, motorhomes and on trailers. No issues with any of those like the racers !

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
I recommend getting one of these as a backup plan, for any RV.
Soft Start-Up
You can run both your AC units on a 30 Amp supply, and it softens the startup (Inrush Current) by over 50%, so you can start and run everything with a portable 4-5KW generator, if your onboard gen set fails. Will let you run a single rooftop AC with an EU2000 May be a life saver for the Onan supply chain issue. Made in USA, and no installation required, it is an inline soft-start device that you plug into your generator or power pedestal, then plug your shore cord into it.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1035 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
not going to sell many at $640.93 + shipping Shake head

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Probably not, Ed. Designed for the electrically challenged crowd.
Personally, I would go for a wire-in soft start module like this one, at $289:
Spartan Power RV AC Soft Start

Dan "Jim" Moore

Posts: 1035 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
If your AC units are in good condition and your generator is sized properly and running right there is NO need for any add on items...

You aren't going to reduce the running amperage required by any item

Motors are the only things that require higher amperage to start.....compressors in particular

The Polar Cub unit I had in my Lance camper had built in soft start and never "jolted" when turned on with even a small 3500 watt Honda

Many modern T-stats delay the compressor start for a few minutes after the fan starts.....

If you have an older AC unit the hard start caps sell for $20 and have 2 wires to connect up on the roof unit....

Years and years people sell magic bullets.....some may have some validity but many are snake oil....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Does the great "Association" police the generator stacks? Before you get your panties in a bunch I 1000% realize that the Honda's are quiet and the exhaust is dispersed into the end enclosure. I have a 3000 myself. Just curious.

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
not that I have seen

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
NHRA never said a word about portables

Only fixed mounted units

It's easily possible a neighbor might say something to you

I had one guy say something to me and his rig was at least 20 feet away and 3 times the size of mine...I had not hooked up Genturi yet on my trailer Onan...

An old f-a-r-t Stocker guy.....Not to surprising....

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
30 will run at least 1 AC and everything else. Some say it will run both ACs.

I'm buying this to get 45amps

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-5.../187-6966118-0486960

and or this

https://www.amazon.com/Conntek.../187-6966118-0486960

I'll know tomorrow.

Which adapter did you end up using?

Posts: 124 | Location: inside | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I purchased this but have not tried it yet

https://www.amazon.com/Conntek.../187-6966118-0486960

and suspect it won’t work based on the warning about using it with a GFCI receptacle per Camco. Looks like it’s intended to be used with a power pole at an RV Park

That said, I’ve used both the 3 blade 30amp to 50amp Camco dogbone adapter

https://a.co/d/8pLOaLg

and the 4 blade 30amp to 50amp Camco dogbone adapter

https://a.co/d/6ec2X9q

Not at the same time, to power the MH

and I use the 15amp to 30 amp Camco dogbone adapter to power the trailer

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-D...tomotive%2C44&sr=1-3

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
If your AC units are in good condition and your generator is sized properly and running right there is NO need for any add on items...

You aren't going to reduce the running amperage required by any item

Motors are the only things that require higher amperage to start.....compressors in particular

Years and years people sell magic bullets.....some may have some validity but many are snake oil....

I agree, Rich. Key point being properly sized generator. And that is where a true Soft Start kit can be a real magic bullet, not snake oil. If you take the huge inrush current required for starting an AC compressor out of the equation, a much smaller generator is capable of running most everything, (including 2 AC units). The Soft Start can knock the inrush current down by 70% or more, so a 5500 Watt portable generator (or even smaller) may be fine, if the AC units have soft starts installed. Without them, you may need a 7500-9000 watt gen to serve the same purpose.

(For the un-initiated, here is the nutshell version of Soft Start vs. Hard Start, Rich please correct me if I am wrong): A Hard Start kit is much less costly than a Soft Start, and it does not reduce the starting/inrush current demand of an AC unit, but it compresses the time duration of that current spike into a narrower time window, that can often allow an AC compressor to start successfully, before the breaker trips. A soft start does the opposite, spreading out the current spike over a longer time period, at a much reduced peak current value. So the true beauty of a soft start is allowing you to get by with a much smaller generator.

I will confess to having limited knowledge of Hard Start kits, but I have researched Soft Starts thoroughly, and personally installed one on my 5-Ton home AC unit about 6 weeks ago. Prior to installation, I measured the inrush current with 2 different clamp meters, over 5 startups it averaged 134 Amps, (on either leg of the 240 volt supply). After installing the soft start kit, (which takes 5-6 start cycles to optimize to the load and supply), it dropped to 45 Amps, then 38.5, eventually settling at a consistent 28.1 Amps. That is a whopping reduction of 79%. House has a 200 Amp main / breaker panel, but every light in the house would dim whenever the AC kicked on, you could even hear my desktop fan slow down for a second or 2. Those issues are now completely gone. And just about 2 hours ago, I had an electrician rewire my transfer panel, (for backup power using a generator), to add the AC to the backed-up circuits. We test fired the system, powering most of the entire house using my portable 13KW (10.5 KW running) Duromax generator. This included the AC, 240 Volt pool pump, 2 Fridges, 2 WiFi routers, 3 computers & monitors, big screen TV, Deep Freezer and dishwasher. No cooktop or clothes dryer, but virtually everything else. If you do the math, using Ohm's Law, (P=IxE, or Watts = Amps x Volts), the AC compressor alone would take over 32,000 watts to start the compressor. (134 x 240 = 32,160). I had the transfer switch installed primarily to provide backup using a generator, for heat during any winter power outages. The dimming of the lights 30 times a day was somewhat annoying, and that is what led to the research that ended up taking me to the soft start kit. Just a month or 2 back, there were but a handful of Soft Start related videos on YouTube, but folks are posting dozens more almost every day now. Guys starting 4-Ton units on 7500 watt portable generators, etc. That research is what led me to not only buy the Soft Start, but also to go ahead and add the central AC to the backed-up circuits today.

As more people go off-grid, or home backup power, and/or Solar power, (which really struggles with AC compressors), you will hear much more about soft starts. Only 2 major players in the game right now, and none are Chinese, (yet). The original is an Australian company, Hyper Engineering, (they have been making their Sure Start kits for over 10 years), which is what I went with, and also an American company, Micro Aire, which is promoting theirs pretty strongly now, but it is a clunkier, bulky design, the box is too big to fit inside most AC condenser cabinets. I paid $279, it took 20 minutes for me to install, including mounting the small box with 2 screws, and hooking up 4 wires, 3 of them were quick-connects. Had to crimp 1 QC onto an existing wire. The number of available RV type soft kits is really exploding, just a few back in April, dozens now.
Sorry for the long post, but if you have some extra cash to invest right now, I would put it into these Soft Start makers, and into Solar Power, especially since your politicians are going to be picking up the tab for people to add solar to their homes, plus give them and the solar companies a bunch of other incentives, (and make us all pay for it in the long run).

Dan "Jim" Moore

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Friendly advice for those looking for generators that are either backordered or "financially challenged". Hurricane season will be over in a couple months and there are usually some good deals on Craigs List. I bought our 7k Honda a few years ago very gently used for $2400. Just bought 2 like new 2000 Honda's with covers and parallel cables for $1600. Just search any southeast CL and there should be some popping up.

Oh, and a shameless plug.... If you want a sliding tray for your generator.... I know a guy! LOL!

Posts: 1183 | Location: Lake Worth, Fla. U.S. | Registered: August 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
BlahBlah Wrong ain’t gonna happen now post pandemic and with a crippled supply chain.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kenny Anderson:
Friendly advice for those looking for generators that are either backordered or "financially challenged". Hurricane season will be over in a couple months and there are usually some good deals on Craigs List. I bought our 7k Honda a few years ago very gently used for $2400. Just bought 2 like new 2000 Honda's with covers and parallel cables for $1600. Just search any southeast CL and there should be some popping up.

Oh, and a shameless plug.... If you want a sliding tray for your generator.... I know a guy! LOL!

Hey Kenny! I might be interested in a slide. Maybe 7000 too! Can’t get them here.
Pm me!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Again, you ain’t buying a “very gently” used EU7000is for $2400 in 2022 and beyond IF you could find one!

You can buy this beat to shyt used 7000 off of flea bay #204077962802 for $2600

that the owner says is slightly used so it “has some bumps and bruises” Laughing Hard

Good news for you and the rest of the broke dycks who are financially challenged is you can buy habor freight’s Chinese junk the predator 9000 for $2400 while supporting china’s military machine, their control of Taiwan and ultimate goal of world dominance.