DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    champion generators in parallel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

champion generators in parallel
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Looking at champion inverter generator for trailer. The one i am looking at is 3500 watt.Figure probable not going to be big enough to run Ac, air compressor and lights if ll on at once. Figure I can buy parallel kit and add second 3500 after few jobs are finished and get the money in. Should have 7000 watt available if needed and if one dies I have a single to keep me going. Plus I have one to start season off which will starting around here in cpl weeks. Yes might be cheaper or better buying bigger one from get go,but then having cash to do so is cpl months out.

Anyone running a pair in parallel? thoughts

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wideopen231,

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I would guess that you could run an AC off of it.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Do not doubt could run AC.I am questioning Ac running and having air compressor kicking on or heating something in microwave. Plus if using motor home I would actually need more for both to run AC's and anything else, but could get by with two. The big generator in motor home no longer has voltage out put and nobody has told me what to check to see what repair would cost, plus the kabota engine is far from quite.

Good thing is AC probably not required for 2 or 3 months.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wideopen231,

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have used a pair of the 2000 watt Inverters in parallel. They worked very well, but it seemed like there was a little less power available than what the spec's showed. I attributed this to parasitic losses in the combining of keeping the generators phase locked together.

Keep in mind that their ratings of 3500 Watts is starting watts. They are rated at 3200 watts for running operation. A pair of 3500 Watt generators will net you somewhere in the 6200-6400 watts of continuous power output at full load.

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Look at the Onan/Cummins 4500w inverter generator. It would run my 15K AC and everything else except the air compressor at the same time. You can get one for $1100 delivered. There is also a Westinghouse version, same generator but just different branding.
Both are made in China but have a lot bang for the buck including electric start and 3.5 gallon fuel tank. Very quiet too, not Honda quiet but You wont piss off your neighbors.

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
There are some 120V mini split air conditioners that require about half the power to run than the roof AC units. I think it is 25 SEER. That would allow you to run a little smaller generator.

The Champion 2000 is one of the best generators you can get. It is very quiet and does not use much gas. But not big enough or designed to run AC units. With two in parallel you could probably run one of the mini split 25 SEER units and basic lights.
I also had a Champion 3500 Inverter and it was quiet but it would not run my AC unit. Would probably run the mini split but it would be close and not much extra.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4017 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
Mini splits can be awesome. A buddy of mine has a 18,000 btu in a 28 footer that will freeze you out. Smaller 9,000 units can be 110v.

Posts: 230 | Location: Kilgore Texas | Registered: July 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Ever seen anyone replace a rooftop rv unit with a minisplit in an rv? Wondering if they are more flexible than they used to be.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Re

First roof top AC is brand new maybe 1 hour use. Second buying new AC to avoid buying larger generator? Not knocking advice it maybe future option and will look into it for motor home. One or both of them is bad,plus it need good amount of work because been sitting most of its life. 1996 FL-70 and under 30k miles on it.Long story and lets say building motor home with your father is not best thing.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Yes my question was more to those who suggested the mini splits and for my information.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
The thing about some of the mini splits is some of them are very efficient and require less power. Be careful some are no more efficient than standard air conditioners.

The beauty of that is you can get away with a much smaller, lighter, quieter and more efficient generator (less Gas)

If you are going to use the roof top AC you will have to get large enough generator and keep in mind some of the generator manufacturers are rather "Optimistic" on their output ratings. On some electric motors if you run them with insufficient power it will burn them up. Their warranty does not cover it if you burn it up due to low power.

As for replacing a mini split on a RV my motorhome because of my slide outs does not have a good place to put a mini split.
Pretty easy to install in most trailers. You can mount the outside unit on the tongue of the trailer and the interior unit on one of the walls and it works well.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4017 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
The thing about some of the mini splits is some of them are very efficient and require less power. Be careful some are no more efficient than standard air conditioners.

The beauty of that is you can get away with a much smaller, lighter, quieter and more efficient generator (less Gas)

If you are going to use the roof top AC you will have to get large enough generator and keep in mind some of the generator manufacturers are rather "Optimistic" on their output ratings. On some electric motors if you run them with insufficient power it will burn them up. Their warranty does not cover it if you burn it up due to low power.

As for replacing a mini split on a RV my motorhome because of my slide outs does not have a good place to put a mini split.
Pretty easy to install in most trailers. You can mount the outside unit on the tongue of the trailer and the interior unit on one of the walls and it works well.

I see some that mount off the rear of a motorhome. Not good for rear radiator pushers.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I could mount the outside condenser on the back of my motorhome but do not have a place to mount the inside unit. The rear wall has a closet and there is a slide out on the side wall and built in chest and windows on other wall.
If your RV has a good place to mount it then they are nice.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
wonder how well they work mount under motorhome in a cargo space that has plenty of airflow. Our motorhome is FL-70 with 24' box.Have ton of ceiling height for inside piece. Since it needs new AC's anyway.I could remove old ones cover and seal holes and do away with that leak problem at same time.

Amazing how things always swap to another subject around here.Hell I started post and I am helping flip it.LOL

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I could mount the outside condenser on the back of my motorhome but do not have a place to mount the inside unit. The rear wall has a closet and there is a slide out on the side wall and built in chest and windows on other wall.
If your RV has a good place to mount it then they are nice.

Saw one that they took the over bed storage and took the doors off and mounted the inside unit there.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo