DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    High performance street clutch
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High performance street clutch
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
I am considering building a hot streetcar with a manual trans. It will be a SBC of around 550 horses and be shifted as high as 7200 - 7300 RPM. What clutch are you running for those of you driving such a car?

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1832 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Couldn't help but picture Jenkins and the boys bunny hopping with their pro stockers back in the day. I'm sure others will give you excellent hands on aftermarket experience advise. Short of that some of the LS clutches (LS7, LS9) would easily handle 550hp with a very easy/street-able pedal feel.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Todays clutchs are probably way a head of ones I had in 96 Z/28. Only 350 hp but if I got 30k out of the dual friction Hays or McLeoud I was happy.

Will be following thread since I have old school bbc in my 69 panel and thinking about swapping trans to 5 or 6 spd(cheap laying incorner).

What generation SBC?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
What transmission are you planning on running?

------------------------------------------
killer of MT82s
Converter Guy

Posts: 25 | Location: Deland | Registered: December 09, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Used a Hayes in an immaculate 70 Nova SS, I recently did a Big Block Chevrolet engine for.

Clutch works flawlessly. Used a 153 tooth billet flywheel as well.

9540 Powermaster starter

BMF car now. Horsepower.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
I am considering building a hot streetcar with a manual trans. It will be a SBC of around 550 horses and be shifted as high as 7200 - 7300 RPM. What clutch are you running for those of you driving such a car?

From 500-800hp and/or over 7000rpm I had very good results with McLeods RST clutch. Sold many dozens of them with engines and never had anything but great results. One of the few diaphragm clutches that wouldn't over-center at high rpms. Nice having the soft/smooth pedal pressure from the diaphragm. Especially with the cars with clutch cables.

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
I used the Mcleod RTS dual disc clutch in an honest 750hp street car with great results. Always grabbed and has one of the nicest feels of any clutch I've ever driven, real easy on the leg.
I've also used the RXT dual disc but that was a little grabbier and overkill for our application, I prefer the RTS.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post