DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Maybe switching to alcohol.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maybe switching to alcohol.
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD1964:
4 full pages from a guy who asked about carb size. Its a total f%^k show.
One bit of advice, call Rons, learn how to read plugs and install EGT. Do what he advises and go racing and have fun.

Nah, we're just talking chit, exchanging Idea's. I used EGT for idle + ign timing at one time. The best thing you can do for yourself is surround yourself with people who are experienced. I was lucky to have Bo Laws RIP himself in my corner, he'd talk to me anytime, for a long time. Bobby Taylor Sr RIP too & Scotty McLendon, all longtime carb builders. All three had about the same approach.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Mark at Bo Laws turned me onto infra red heat gun trick in 2017, on each individual header tube for idle quality (stagger jetting), that worked great to get power/mixture/overall carb performance in the ball park, off the trailer first hit new engine combo.

That's a pretty slick deal, saved on a lot of fuel, driving down the track looking at plugs. Bo Laws dominator carb on a sbc.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Why do people claim alcohol is more upkeep than gas? Or harder on parts? I find the ability to tune much easier (much larger window). As far as oil changes and maintenance, its the same. The shelf life of alcohol is much longer than race gas too, not to mention cheaper.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 736 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Ok, I'll start a new post so we can air out the opinions there, rather than 5 pages deep in a "What Size Carb?" post.

Posts: 287 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Reyer:
Why do people claim alcohol is more upkeep than gas? Or harder on parts? I find the ability to tune much easier (much larger window). As far as oil changes and maintenance, its the same. The shelf life of alcohol is much longer than race gas too, not to mention cheaper.

Alcohol is not hard to maintain if you do things right. It does have a larger tuning window and is cheaper to run.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3979 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Reyer:

More then likely they where in over there heads and couldn't get the tune right to start with. If the tune is wrong it will be a mess. That said its a learning curve just like anything else

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post