DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    3 Way Shutoff Valve for Belt Driven Fuel Pump(Carb)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3 Way Shutoff Valve for Belt Driven Fuel Pump(Carb)
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I am in the process of converting my dragster from gas to alcohol. I have a mechanical pump and carb. I recently purchased a 3 way shutoff valve to mount to the top of the pump(outlet). Off the 3 way valve, I plan on running one line to a fuel log with a by-pass regulator and the other line back to the tank. When looking at the 3 way valve it appears that when on(open) all three passages are open and when off(closed) just the inlet and return passage of the 3 way are open. When on(open), should all 3 passages be open? I assumed only the inlet and outlet would be open. New to alcohol. Thanks for your time and assistance.

Michael K Smith

Posts: 4 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: January 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Something is wrong. The valve when open should be straight through. When closed all the fuel is diverted back to the tank.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5296 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 27Keith
posted Hide Post
What your describing sounds like the 3 way valve needs an Enderle type set up and a "pill" to adjust fuel psi on the 3rd leg return line. With the regulator at the end of the fuel log do you plan on running a return from there ? Could you just cap the return line off the valve ?

4 X Track Champion ( 2 & 2 )
2 X Run off Winner

Posts: 2084 | Location: out there | Registered: March 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i have run in to some from apd that have to be turned upside down to work,they were assembled wrong

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1389 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I think that is what happened. When open all three passages are open. I think I can pull out the pin and rotate the shield 180 degrees so that when "on" the return is closed. I ordered an APD and was confused so I ordered one from Enderle and must have got the wrong one. Thanks

Michael K Smith

Posts: 4 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: January 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for your replies. I think I realized what is causing my issues. I ordered the wrong valve.

Thanks

Michael K Smith

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted November 19, 2020 11:29 PM Hide Post
I think that is what happened. When open all three passages are open. I think I can pull out the pin and rotate the shield 180 degrees so that when "on" the return is closed. I ordered an APD and was confused so I ordered one from Enderle and must have got the wrong one. Thanks

i reconfigured mine to work with flow normal .pulling the pin is what i did

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1389 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure you want to leave it the way it is for the reasons shown in the good vibes description above. Stick a check on the return port with a 30 psi spring. Otherwise, if you configure it like a typical mfi shutoff and don’t have a check somewhere, your going to see 200 psi at the regulator inlet. Unless you have one of those low pressure BLP pumps, in which case you could run it either way.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I’m running a 0 1/2 Rons pump, same pump I ran with my injection system. Using an Aeromotive bypass regulator. 7 pounds of pressure going downtrack and no problem with it whatsoever. It’s simply bypassing 90 percent of the fuel. I’ve run this same deal with an alky carb and now a gas carb.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5296 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post