New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bottle Leak
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I keep a spare filled 10 oz CO2 bottle in my garage refrigerator. Pulled it out to use it, and it was empty. All seemed fine when it was filled and placed in the refrigerator last fall. The bottle is only a few years old and has been stored this way before. I guess the safety valve could have blown out, but that seems unlikely. Anyone experience a slow leak in one of these bottles?

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
The bottle has a common rubber o-ring seal under the valve. It unscrews pretty easily. They shrink and leak very slowly.

I just changed an o-ring on a chrome bottle. Put it in a vice with some rags to protect it and got the valve to unscrew and replace the o-ring.

A paint ball store used to fill mine and did the o-ring once before.

I have my own refill bottle and rig now. You can use Dish soap to check for leaks. I use it straight and just paint it on anything to check for leaks. I’ve used to check natural gas lines and fittings that is very low pressure. Works good.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Ditch the CO2, air system FTW!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
This^^^

I have the AIR ARMED Air compressor system in both my cars.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I always had to cap my nitrous bottles or they would leak out the valve. That a different leak path than was mentioned above.

Also, if you have to replace the oring, I prefer a ratchet strap around a tree

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Air compressor system on my car also, runs my starting line enhancer and have a quick disconnect at the rear of my dragster for filling rear tires. Very useful if your in the lanes as the sun is going down and you didn't load the tires up with air before heading down. I bought the Viair 10000 system and just swapped out the 1 gal air tank for a 1/2 gal to save space, added a air pressure regulator and swapped out the air pressure switch for one that goes a little higher instead of the 85-105 psi, mine comes on below 100 and shuts off at around 125-130 now. I know guys who run their SLE, throttle stop and air shifter on the same kit with zero issues.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ I have the same but kept the one gallon tank. Make sure all your fittings are good and not leaking. One nice thing though is even if it leaks a tiny bit the compressor will fill everything back up where the CO2 will just leak out.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post