DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dead Hooking in 4 link dragster
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dead Hooking in 4 link dragster
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Also no input on suspenion.But if front end lifting is issue and battery is not as far foward as possible that would be no brainer.Why add weight when you have 30 or so lbs that can be moved and at no cost weight or money wise. Fuel is next hey 3 gallons is 24 lbs(well close enough). Battery and fuel we are saying 50 lbs and man thats a lot.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
Originally posted by Peabody Holdaway:
Anything to do with the rear suspension. I don't know anything about the 4 links or the swing-arm cars. I only owned hardtails. I thought by making some adjustments that would solve the problem. Especially if you could change the bars to move the IC?

Did you not like my answer above?

If you have a dragster that's too light on the nose your swimming up stream if you refuse to add nose weight. You have a few choices but both are basically numbing up the leave. Lower the launch chip and or change the converter. All race cars need to be balanced!

Some chassis are stiffer than others ahead of the driver's foot box, the stiffer ones will have more issues with this also!

Your typical 7.50 dragster needs a good 500 pounds on the nose or you are likely to have this issue, especially when the air and track are good! Hot greasy summer time tracks usually fix this issue also.
I'm 400 pounds on the nose, and very stiff up front. My car absolutly does not pick the front wheels up for at least 5 feet out and my car is obviously much quicker then 7.50..... oh and we race a lot on very good, cool tight tracks... Tossing lead in the nose is not the answer, suspension setup can absolutely fix picking the wheels straight up

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will Harrison:
quote:
quote:
Anything to do with the rear suspension. I don't know anything about the 4 links or the swing-arm cars. I only owned hardtails. I thought by making some adjustments that would solve the problem. Especially if you could change the bars to move the IC?

If you have a dragster that's too light on the nose your swimming up stream if you refuse to add nose weight. You have a few choices but both are basically numbing up the leave. Lower the launch chip and or change the converter. All race cars need to be balanced!

Some chassis are stiffer than others ahead of the driver's foot box, the stiffer ones will have more issues with this also!

Your typical 7.50 dragster needs a good 500 pounds on the nose or you are likely to have this issue, especially when the air and track are good! Hot greasy summer time tracks usually fix this issue also.
I'm 400 pounds on the nose, and very stiff up front. My car absolutly does not pick the front wheels up for at least 5 feet out and my car is obviously much quicker then 7.50..... oh and we race a lot on very good, cool tight tracks... Tossing lead in the nose is not the answer, suspension setup can absolutely fix picking the wheels straight up

Will, ya killin me Smalls

Question first - how long is your car?

Next, I stated that unless you can turn the tires at the hit, you will need nose weight if its too light! That's the physics of it and you can't argue with Physics,,, at least that's was Calloway says!
Next, next, the converter plays a large role here as does the amount of power you have!
Next, Next, next - This is regular type bracket racing in which I refer too,,, their is no one going .991 in sixty feet and doing it consistently week in and out!

Your combo is an orange in an apple world! And I am not saying that is either bad or good, just saying.

Lastly, any fast car or dragster uses ballast to go faster, and that includes the front of the car.

So maybe we can agree to disagree???

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Will Harrison:
quote:
quote:

Will, ya killin me Smalls

Question first - how long is your car?

Next, I stated that unless you can turn the tires at the hit, you will need nose weight if its too light! That's the physics of it and you can't argue with Physics,,, at least that's was Calloway says!
Next, next, the converter plays a large role here as does the amount of power you have!
Next, Next, next - This is regular type bracket racing in which I refer too,,, their is no one going .991 in sixty feet and doing it consistently week in and out!

Your combo is an orange in an apple world! And I am not saying that is either bad or good, just saying.

Lastly, any fast car or dragster uses ballast to go faster, and that includes the front of the car.

So maybe we can agree to disagree???
My car is 235", I definitely dead hook it on any of the tires I've run over the years, 33.5x16.5x15 Hoosiers back in the day, the 3183,3185,3186,3190,3195 etc all of them dead hooked. I agree converter makes a difference, that said I've had 4 different converters behind this motor and 2 more converters behind my old motor (way back in the day) and none of them ever had me yanking the wheels out of the lights with 60 foot times from high 1.teens all the way down to the best run I've ever made which was a .967, with the old motor it never lifted the tire off the ground at any time, the new motor drives out a few feet then picks the wheels up and carries them out.

There's a ton of variables involved, and you're right my car isn't "normal" it was built by myself and my dad with a specific plan and it has worked extremely well. The bars have been in the same holes, with the same ride hight, same spring, same preload from day 1 and I have never had a reason to change... and the car is 16 years old.... and has never cracked anywhere. Oh, and the fuel cell is behind the seat lol the battery is as forward as it can go and still fit under the steering column.

We can agree to disagree, I know my car and motor isn't normal lol that's probably why it runs what it does for what it has for cubic inches...

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2108 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Im headed out tomorrow for a weekend of racing. Im gonna drop air pressure down to 5 lbs instead of 5.5 and lower launch RPM and see it that helps.

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" scrolling="no" src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fscott.lemen.5%2Fvideos%2F10204723877318282%2F&show_text=0&width=560" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" width="560">[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Do you have a stripe painter under that car? Haha

Hey... I think I seen the tire slip a 1/4 inch. Better get to work on that. Haha just kidding. That's about as close to dead hooked as you'll see any dragster that fast

Scott

Posts: 1838 | Location: Illinois | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 358T:
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" scrolling="no" src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fscott.lemen.5%2Fvideos%2F10204723877318282%2F&show_text=0&width=560" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" width="560">[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Do you have a stripe painter under that car? Haha

Hey... I think I seen the tire slip a 1/4 inch. Better get to work on that. Haha just kidding. That's about as close to dead hooked as you'll see any dragster that fast

Scott

I was wondering about the stripes! LOL
How fast is that 60'? That thing is certainly glued.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6394 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Nichols
posted Hide Post
Is this a dual shock, dual spring car... or a Monoshock Swing arm, or a hybrid?

I had a 235" car that used to pull the tires. Moved the battery to the nose, and once in a while (rare), or skate.

How old are the shocks / springs on the car? How many adjustments are there for extension and compression?

You can make one leave very hard and never lift the tires. Mine ran 1.01x last outing on a green track and never lifted a tire.

Posts: 157 | Location: Charlestown, IN U.S.A | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
4 link car, dual shock, shocks are about 5 years old, double adjustable.

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Nichols
posted Hide Post
Knowing what I know now, I would have the shocks rebuilt (just to be sure) and valved for the HP you expect to run. I bought some AFCOs (32 extension adjustments and 24 compression adjustments) to replace my old shocks that were no longer rebuildable. They recommended a higher HP version of the shock and they have been superb.

Posts: 157 | Location: Charlestown, IN U.S.A | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post