DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Facet pump as primer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Facet pump as primer
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Ok . I have a facet pump hooked up on injected motor using for primer system. Car cranks fine after little tuning. Use for cranking only right now.

Issue I think I am having is when shutting motor off. I pull fuel shut off,motor revs up as should before shutting o0ff,except it keeps running and running(no batteries here). I am thinking the vacuum maybe pulling fuel thru the electric pump. Pump is about 12" from main line from tank and mounted low so as to keep it wet for easy priming.Line from pump goes to a jetted line that's in middle of injector with 4 spray holes drilled in it that spray up ward and mix with incoming air.

Anyone have issue with fuel being pulled thru pump?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You need a pinch valve ( shutoff wired to pump it opens when pump is on and closes when you turn pump off.

Jeff McClure

Posts: 240 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If you have a NOS fuel solenoid run it through this, same thing used in a Primer Plus system.

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I got the one with check valve rated for alky. First, it’s not really a check valve. Second, even if it was, the “check valve” part is not alky compatible.

On first install I verified that the check valve didn’t really work. Added almost 5% to my barrel valve leak. ABA to verify it was leaking back through Facet.

Added an idle check after the facet so I didn’t have to worry about an electric solenoid failing. Facet pushes against the idle check to open it (crack is about 1 psi, .150 pill just so something is in there). Main pump pressure closes the check when the facet is turned off.

Fast forward a year or two and the facet wasn’t really working anymore. Disassembled to find that the “check valve” was really a spring loaded rubber flapper valve that had swelled up and completely shut off the inlet to the facet. I removed the rubber flapper and spring and it works just fine again. Maybe not quite as good as brand new but good enough.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Just like markemark said, you need a solenoid like a NOS solenoid to prevent the fuel from being pulled through the pump when the pump isn't running. That's how the primer plus system is setup.

Posts: 67 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I could plumb with check valve,but would have to tie into mechanical pump system.. Right now it is its own system. Since you fellas have valve of one type or another it tells me you had similar issue or figured you would.

Might do when I install my new stage/WOT dual line system.Hell with plumbing for that the primer will be easy and cost nothing. LOL

I am worried about life of it with some nitro/alky mix at times. Maybe flushing with alky afterwards will prevent instant death for it. Then have already fired on 30% and pump is still alive. Just thinking out loud again.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
nos fuel solenoid for the win!

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Yep wire it with pump

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6409 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
Just curious but what size jet are you using - thinking about building one of these.

Save on Fuel - GetUpside - https://upside.app.link/jE7eqmHc2z

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
If you have a NOS fuel solenoid run it through this, same thing used in a Primer Plus system.

This

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
james monroe sells the solenoid you need, I think its cheaper than a nitrous solenoid too. also grainger and or mcmaster carr should have something that you could use as well.

Posts: 39 | Location: oregon | Registered: December 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chasracer:
Just curious but what size jet are you using - thinking about building one of these.

Instead of a jet I have friends that used adjustable needle valves inline. Takes a little fine tuning. They also had to install a solenoid and they found that cheapo ebay solenoids don't last.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Anyone think about using propane to start and prime using a small
Needle valve to control the idle speed?

Posts: 691 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
wideopen231

I run Enderle MFI as well and I bought a primer pump from Spud. The pump is fed from another bung in the bottom of the 3 gallon tank, the outlet goes into a endrle check valve and then it is teed into the line above the 3-way shut off that feeds the k-valve. I have a momentary switch in the cabin for it. Doing it like this, it fills the lines above the 3-way all the way to the nozzles and primes the motor. When the motor starts and the 80A-1 pump picks up, its pressure closes that check valve at the primer pump. No extra tanks, nozzles or solenoids. At the beginning of the day if you play with the 3-way while priming and not cranking the motor, you can back feed and prime the main pump also. You can hear the primer pump start to labor when all the lines get filled up and see fuel going back to the tank from returns.

I would like to see what the blown boat guys use while sitting on the rope.

Posts: 105 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: January 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Got mine off an Onan generator.

Posts: 522 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 69427:
wideopen231

I run Enderle MFI as well and I bought a primer pump from Spud. The pump is fed from another bung in the bottom of the 3 gallon tank, the outlet goes into a endrle check valve and then it is teed into the line above the 3-way shut off that feeds the k-valve. I have a momentary switch in the cabin for it. Doing it like this, it fills the lines above the 3-way all the way to the nozzles and primes the motor. When the motor starts and the 80A-1 pump picks up, its pressure closes that check valve at the primer pump. No extra tanks, nozzles or solenoids. At the beginning of the day if you play with the 3-way while priming and not cranking the motor, you can back feed and prime the main pump also. You can hear the primer pump start to labor when all the lines get filled up and see fuel going back to the tank from returns.

I would like to see what the blown boat guys use while sitting on the rope.

This sounds identical to mine he just explained it better. I don’t have a 3 way shutoff though but I think it would still work the same.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I use the fuel side of my nitrous system to prime. Works like a champ!

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Nitrous solenoid in the line after the fuel pump is a must. Check valve will leak by just a tad. Put a separate 1 quart tank and a nitrous solenoid. Then you can prime and shutdown on gasoline. Eliminates rust and condensation around the ring package when you store one for a few weeks without running it.

If you really want to tweak it you can add in a needle valve for fine tuning adjustment and run the car on gasoline when you so chose.

It's much easier just to call Rons and order a primer plus. He makes one for a bird catcher sized opening if you are on an injector hat and not a carb opening up top.

Posts: 375 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Thanks for reply's . Checking on nitrous solenoids for now. Understand using gas just not willing to add more weight. Hell adding solenoid is killing me. Plus I always do final shut down using bottle fed gas to totally drain lines and wash motor down at same time.

At least it seems other have or have had similar deal before and not like norm when its only me Or so the story I hear.

Don't plan on driving around on primer system.Right no need some temputarue increase out side for more test runs. Went from 85 to 35 around here it seems in cpl weeks.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
I use the fuel side of my nitrous system to prime. Works like a champ!

This is a slick idea that I just shared with a racing friend, THANKS !!

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post