DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Help with cooling
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with cooling
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
just wondering what kind of fan everyone is using. My car doesn't cool as fast as i would like after getting back from a pass. Just wondering what kind of fan everyone is using.

Posts: 26 | Location: va | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
if you are using a mechanical water pump then a factory steel blade fan driven by a $125 moroso water pump drive kit worked 30 years ago and still works today. Otherwise the largest electric fan you can install on your radiator.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
If your fan doesn’t have a shroud on it buy one that does and one that covers the whole radiator.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
If your fan doesn’t have a shroud on it buy one that does and one that covers the whole radiator.

X2

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2549 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
Need way more details on the set up!
What engine and how much HP?
What kind of car is it?
Gas or Alk?
Are you using a belt driven pump or electric?
How hot is the coolant when you get back from a run?
A picture or two of you current cooling system will help.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 240 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
X3 on shroud or sealed box around the fans. I run two small fans diagonally. Not sure if it's any better or worse than one large diameter fan.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
67 mustang 408W on gas @550HP
Has a moroso water pump drive and a perma cool 16” electric fan.
Usually 190-200 when I get back after a pass.

Posts: 26 | Location: va | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
190-200 is not that hot after a run.

The old Moroso drive unit and stock style pump is only good for about 10-15 gpm. This is normally ok for a drag race only car. A higher flowing pump will allow you to cool down a lot quicker between runs. I use one of our HD pumps rated a 42 gpm and have about the same HP as you. Once I shut the engine down I leave the pump and fan on and can watch the temp drop on the gauge. In few of minutes I will be down to where I want the coolant.

Another old trick is to use a garden sprayer with water to spray down the radiator with the water pump and fan run. You will be down to the temp you want in a few minutes. At the cost of a $25 garden sprayer.

Make sure your fan has a shroud that covers the complete core of the radiator to allow it to pull air through the whole radiator. This will be more efficient and cool down quicker after a run.

Also make sure you are using a recovery style catch can to help keep air out of your system.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 240 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Waylon:
67 mustang 408W on gas @550HP
Has a moroso water pump drive and a perma cool 16” electric fan.
Usually 190-200 when I get back after a pass.

This is the style fan you should consider. I use it & works great with 600+ hp motor. I use a 16" non-shrouded on our other car & it plain sucks compared to the shrouded style.

https://www.flex-a-lite.com/15...stat-controller.html

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2549 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
A few possibilities. Your radiator may be too small to get rid of the heat, the fan may not be moving enough air and or you may not have good airflow under the hood. I think many people run more timing than needed and that may add additional heat load on your system.
You do not have to move much water through the block to cool it as long as rest off system is large enough and working right.

I run alcohol so I do not need much radiator but I also run a thermostat in the housing with a few small holes drilled to allow circulation and eliminate air bubbles. I also run a thermostat control on the fan.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
My old ride had a bigger radiator but fan with small shroud, not full size of radiator and motor was taken out of it and installed in my new ride with smaller radiator but full shroud and now it cools way better. I was really surprised but I did notice the old ride you could feel the air leaking out the sides of the shroud so that air wasn’t going through the radiator.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post