DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Pressure to seat tire bead?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pressure to seat tire bead?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Packmule
posted
Trying to install a new set of M/T 32x14.5x15 on weld 15x14 magnum 2.0 wheels, the inner beads both popped easily but I can’t get the outer
to pop, only went to about 38 psi so far. Lubed with plenty of dawn and water, anything else I should try or more pressure?

Old tires are the same as the new ones, but we didn’t mount them so not sure what method was used.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Packmule,

Posts: 18 | Location: Southeast Missouri | Registered: January 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
you really need a good bead paste or lube,not sure dawn is the best choice,and ive gone to 50-60psi on them with no issues.we mount 10-15 sets a week

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I have been to 50 Psi on my rear magnums. Quick shot of WD and up they come.Have you ever noticed the sharp edge on the outside.Mine are lightly sanded down.

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Cleaning the wheel if they are used will make it easier. Any old rubber or burrs make it harder to seat.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Take a walk on the wild side. Just have plenty of beer for everybody.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2323 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Packmule
posted Hide Post
wheels are very clean around the inside bead, I will try something different than dawn and water. Just looking at them they look seated and pressed up against the lip of the rim but if you let the air out and kneel on them they will pop off.

I tried that also 3 times

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Packmule,

Posts: 18 | Location: Southeast Missouri | Registered: January 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
WD-40 and a locking air chuck. Don't want to be standing beside it - just in case. Regulate the air down at the compressor and put the wheel on the other side of the shop, ideally behind some stuff - just in case.

I've had to go to 60 on some front runners before.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
will wd40 contribute to them moving on the rim if you don't screw them?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6352 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
please use bead lube any oil and oxygen is a very bad combination

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
please use bead lube any oil and oxygen is a very bad combination

Pure oxygen and oil is a bad combination, but oil and air?

Id be more worried about WD40 breaking down the tire rubber in bead seat area. We use it on our jr dragster slicks, boy does it make a mess but the tires are sticky!

Posts: 36 | Location: Bradenton | Registered: August 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Packmule
posted Hide Post
I’m going to try it again today, I have a fifty ft hose with a clip on chuck and regulator with quick connections that plugs into a air outlet and then the extension hose into it. Just a bit frustrating That this of all things is being so difficult.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pure oxygen and oil is a bad combination, but oil and air?

20.9%oxygen ,i havent had an issue yet either when i have done it .but from training i know its a bad idea and the thr reason those type oils are not used by tire people. just info, moving on. Smile

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sc4087
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brktracer:
WD-40 and a locking air chuck. Don't want to be standing beside it - just in case. Regulate the air down at the compressor and put the wheel on the other side of the shop, ideally behind some stuff - just in case.

LOL !!!!

Mike Greene

Posts: 509 | Location: Burleson, TX | Registered: March 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I used to have a very hard time getting a race slick to take air until I came up with this method.All you have to do is after you get the slick mounted on the wheel put it back on the car temporarily.I usually spray WD-40 around the beads to make it easier.You also need to drop the car back down to the floor until the slick is positioned right over the wheel and then push the slick against the wheel on the inside as far as possible. After all this you need to get a bead seater like they use on big trucks and put in about 90 to 100 pounds of air. Release this air into the outer side of the slick and it inflates almost the first time every time. Don't forget before you release the air from the bead setter don't forget to put your air hose on the valve with the valve
core removed.

Posts: 36 | Location: corona, ca | Registered: October 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rookieman:
I used to have a very hard time getting a race slick to take air until I came up with this method.All you have to do is after you get the slick mounted on the wheel put it back on the car temporarily.I usually spray WD-40 around the beads to make it easier.You also need to drop the car back down to the floor until the slick is positioned right over the wheel and then push the slick against the wheel on the inside as far as possible. After all this you need to get a bead seater like they use on big trucks and put in about 90 to 100 pounds of air. Release this air into the outer side of the slick and it inflates almost the first time every time. Don't forget before you release the air from the bead setter don't forget to put your air hose on the valve with the valve
core removed.

What happens to that wd40? If you don't screw the tire, is it likely to slip?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6352 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The WD-40 has never been a problem for me but I only run from 4.90's to low 5.oo's. I don't think it would hurt anyone because WD-40 dries up completely after a while. Besides that you don't really have to use WD-40 it will seal up fine with-out it.

Posts: 36 | Location: corona, ca | Registered: October 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Packmule
posted Hide Post
I’m not having issues with the tires taking air, that’s the simple part, I can’t seem to get the bead on the outer rim to seat properly. The bead looks seated but if you let all the air back out you can stand on the tire and push the bead back off the rim. I had some other stuff going on so haven’t got a chance try again but plan on doing so tomorrow, I made a long hose with a clip on chuck so I can safely fill them from about 50 ft away.