Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Air in coolling system
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air in coolling system
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
What are you guy's doing to get the air out of your cooling system? I have tried just about everything. I am using a 16 volt battery and the water pump runs fine and you can tell when it picks up water and you can hear it circulating for a while and then all of a sudden it will loose it's prime and stop cooling. This car has an upper and lower radiator cap one, The lines are #12 braided hose. I have done all I know to do to get the air out of the system but no luck so far. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 81 | Location: waverly tn | Registered: February 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Where are you filling your cooling system?

L8R, Mike

Posts: 13308 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
This sounds familiar......

272" Spitzer
Bednar Racing Engines 540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Big Shaft Powerglide
3.73@196

www.ftiperformance.com

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

Posts: 1868 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
On 16 volts my water pump (remote) was cavitating. I had to use a voltage step down box to get it to work properly.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 4548 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Cash, I'd lean towards location more than voltage

Bender, ya think

L8R, Mike

Posts: 13308 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike English:
Cash, I'd lean towards location more than voltage

Bender, ya think

Agree. Truth and facts.....

272" Spitzer
Bednar Racing Engines 540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Big Shaft Powerglide
3.73@196

www.ftiperformance.com

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

Posts: 1868 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Copperhead:

Sent you a private message because it was tooooo long to post here. If you did not receive it, let me know.

Bob

Posts: 2119 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Location? Hmmmm, not saying the location is right or wrong but I'm leaning towards nothing wrong with the location. The pump is located on the framerail on the left side of the engine. It's actually the lowest point in the cooling system so feed to the pump is not a problem.

I have it plumbed like Worthy described when I got the car. This is a Dedenbear pump and a Dedenbear crossover on the front of the engine. Radiator is above the rear end.

No cooling problems but when I installed the 16 volt battery it was obvious that the pump was cavitating. I bought a voltage step down box from Seabass and as soon as I installed it the pump went back to working normally.

Everything else on the car works flawlessly with the 16 volts.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 4548 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I started using this on all my vehicles including the dragster. You pull a vacuum then fill your system.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...kId=M7E63JQNLVJ43NOW

Posts: 459 | Location: Highland,Ca | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike English:
Where are you filling your cooling system?

I am filling at the water neck on the intake. Radiator is lower and I fill with the cap off the radiator until it is full and then finish filling the block.

Posts: 81 | Location: waverly tn | Registered: February 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Coloradoracer
posted Hide Post
There is a small allen head pipe plug in the top tank of my radiator. When I'm filling I just pull the plug and fill until it spills out then put the plug back. After that I fill until the water neck is full and that's it. Never an issue...

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 234 | Location: Conifer, Colorado | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67SS
posted Hide Post
This is what I use on my SBC...
problem solved. You need to be filling the system on the low pressure side. I also use a meziere expansion tank so the system is free of air.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/mez-wp201s

Chad Harris

Posts: 1279 | Location: Vinton, Virginia | Registered: May 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am filling at the water neck on the intake. Radiator is lower and I fill with the cap off the radiator until it is full and then finish filling the block.

Yiu are filling on the high preassure side so you are trying put fill in the very point that air is trying get out of the cooling system. You will never get all the air out. Move your fill point off the intake. I know some people have very good luck with this setup but you are not.

L8R, Mike

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Door car or dragster? Where is the rad located?
I raise the front of my door car when I fill. My dragster doesn't need much of anything. My dragster rad is mounted to the blow shield and cap is the highest
point but still raise it a little because I think you can get air pockets in the cylinder heads when filling

Radiators mounted over the trans always looked like trouble in my opinion.

Perhaps you need to add some air bleeds to your intake or radiator.

My 2¢

Cool

Posts: 134 | Location: Atco NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies, This is a door car and the radiator is mounted pretty low and that's why I have the filler neck on the intake. I will try some of the suggestions.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 1355PRO
posted Hide Post
As someone stated earlier....get one of these and don't look back.

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/...LEAQYAiABEgIg1fD_BwE

Eric Macchiaroli
S/R1355 80 Arrow

Posts: 714 | Location: Glenshaw PA | Registered: February 25, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i still use a remote pump on frame,fill at intake and reverse flow the water.i do have to open the bleeder on the rad sometimes when filling.i am 16v also

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rusty,

opinions are worth what you pay for them
1.015,2.88,4.46@ 153

Posts: 446 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR All Star
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything except that I've never had an air bound cooling system nor have I had an issue cooling my cars down between rounds.

Both my door cars were/are filled through the radiator which is lower than the intake manifold/upper radiator hose neck which is not bolted on when initially filling. Then bolt the neck/fill neck on the manifold and top off.

If that's too much trouble or you're still concerned about air in the system, drill/tap the water neck for an 1/8" npt drain c o c k about 1 1/2" from the top and open it slowly and when water temp is cool to bleed air. Same can be done on the fill neck of the radiator.

My dragster is even easier as it has a drain c o c k/air bleed already installed on the radiator from Ron Davis. All I do is open it up and fill the system until I have a fountain blowing out of the air bleed.

Offering 1st hand experience and advice based on track proven performance, on the web since 1998.

"if you guys are so broke dyck you can't buy USA made parts you need to stay the fuc at home that's the bottomline" ----Tim McAmis

Support our country! Support our Troops! Support our economy! Buy American!!

Posts: 8562 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Both my door cars were/are filled through the radiator

Which is on the low pressure side where you should fill.

L8R, Mike

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Obviously i have been doing this wrong this whole time, I always fill the radiator first and then top off at the intake but i still have issues, I will try what you guy's are saying to do then i will see what happens.

Thanks guy's!