DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    T&D rocker arm life
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

T&D rocker arm life
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Broke an aluminum T&D intake rocker yesterday. 1.8 ratio, approximately 700 1/4 mile runs on it, .858 lift cam turning 7700 making appx 1000 HP.

First issue I’ve ever had with a rocker arm. Replaced it and the car ran the same, nothing else caused it that I can tell. What kind of life do you expect from them? Should I be looking at replacing the whole set? Going to call them tomorrow figured I’d see what the group thinks.

Posts: 712 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
you may can get one in a few weeks ,a set is several weeks out.where did it break.

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1396 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
What head?

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Al, they’re CFE BMF 350s with one piece intake stands.

Here’s a pic, can click to make it larger:

8-F250861-AA56-42-A0-8982-33076-C1-BCF59

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 183N,

Posts: 712 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
comon your a smart guy!! once one breaks they start one after the other!! save yourself a possible catastophe and replace em all.may come a point where your waiting months for a set!!

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of dragracer2757
posted Hide Post
be prepared... sent a set in to be rebuilt this past novemeber,didnt hear from them till january and was told id get them back mid july and a complete new set would be august!

Posts: 62 | Location: old hickory tn | Registered: December 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Maybe time for Manton's...

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1515 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
I'm not saying this is OP's issue but one of the things that many people do when running valves is over torquing. This came straight from Sheldon at T&D.
Do yourself a favor and get the LSM valve Lash tool. It comes preset at 22 lbs and it so easy to use.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
What kind of life do you expect from them? Should I be looking at replacing the whole set?

I replaced the aluminum T&D rockers dated 2013 on my 622 when it was last freshened with nearly 1000 passes on them without a body failure but numerous trunion failures, .900 lift, turning 7600rpm and making 1100HP.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Mine broke last year, same place, same scenario except 507 1/8 mile passes with .825 lift. turning 7500.They said probably something else not right???? Have always used the LSM lash tool. What is the date on yours?

Why Do We Do This!

Posts: 14 | Location: United States | Registered: December 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
What kind of life do you expect from them? Should I be looking at replacing the whole set?

I replaced the aluminum T&D rockers dated 2013 on my 622 when it was last freshened with nearly 1000 passes on them without a body failure but numerous trunion failures, .900 lift, turning 7600rpm and making 1100HP.

I've always sent mine back at every freshen to rebuild.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Honestly I have had really good luck with the T&D aluminum rockers on my blower motor. The only ones I ever broke was when the bolts came loose. Since then I am really anal about checking lash and the stand and rocker bolts. I rarely have to make any lash adjustments and this is running 30lbs boost and well over 8K RPM every pass. I sent the whole set in 2 years ago for rebuilt and other than a few roller tips being rough they were in excellent shape.

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen a failure like that on those rockers for that head. Make sure you have no coil spring bind just to be sure. Breaking an intake is not a big issue usually but you don't want to break an exhaust for sure as it usually leads to other damage! 700 runs isn't a little but I know of many with a good deal more with no issues.

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Just ordered a set of aluminum T&D's for this. The owner doesn't know it yet but we're not getting aluminum, we're getting steel (atleast if it's up to me) . What's a $900 upgrade over 5 months?.... Peanuts. Sept delivery date.

T&D mention their steel rockers as an option quite a bit when you call em .... $2700 steel..

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Honestly I have had really good luck with the T&D aluminum rockers on my blower motor. The only ones I ever broke was when the bolts came loose. Since then I am really anal about checking lash and the stand and rocker bolts. I rarely have to make any lash adjustments and this is running 30lbs boost and well over 8K RPM every pass. I sent the whole set in 2 years ago for rebuilt and other than a few roller tips being rough they were in excellent shape.

Needle bearing roller tips are a regular service need, they have the same issues that roller lifters had before, the axle on the load side! All the needles are fine! I have to do mine around 350 passes. They are easy to replace yourself also. These tips are worth the price as they greatly reduce side loading on the valve stems and therefore don't wear the valve guides out, especially with high lift cams!

I would say you could even just buy spare axles (without the needles) and carefully push out the old axle while pushing in the new one with out disturbing the needles!

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Just reci3ved 4 rockers I ordered as replacements that failed. T&D said 12 weeks when I ordered but I think it was more like 8 or 10. He did say it would belonger for a complete setup.

Posts: 371 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Who ever suggested you replace the Set is doing you a favor...We pushed the adjuster thru the Body on several Aluminum T&D's during the 2021 Season...Ordered a set of Steel T&D's last August
they arrived late November. I had ordered them with Bronze Bushings and they didn't arrive that way..I had a slight dust up with Sheldon but eventually it was resolved. I tried some Mantons and they were a work of art but they didn't fit our Heads.. I would suggest asking Sheldon to send some confirmation of what you ordered, so there aren't any surprises or confusion. Apparently its usually the customer who is confused about what they thought they ordered.lol...Any highly stressed aluminum part has a life cycle....that includes drive shafts.
We recognize Aluminum Connecting Rods as being subject to a life cycle. Cylinder pressure , valve springs, cam profile are all factors that influence Rocker arm life...

Posts: 227 | Location: North Royalton Ohio US*** | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
and carefully push out the old axle while pushing in the new one with out disturbing the needles!

Just what we want to do at 3am at a race track.The one thing top38 left out is he is cheap!!Ive known him for 36 years and nothing has changed.He gets 250 runs on his mickeys and probably same number on his fruit of the looms before he changes them Full Moon

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
quote:
and carefully push out the old axle while pushing in the new one with out disturbing the needles!

Just what we want to do at 3am at a race track.The one thing top38 left out is he is cheap!!Ive known him for 36 years and nothing has changed.He gets 250 runs on his mickeys and probably same number on his fruit of the looms before he changes them Full Moon

Ha HA!!! You should worry more about your lack of keeping good crew chiefs on board vs what I spend my dollars on! I seam to remember you losing a first round TD race, I know, shocker Smile, when someone forget to bolt on the wheelie bar!!! Razz

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Hummmm...in the pits thrash or load up and go home...
Decisions decisions...

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4453 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post