DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    BBC Rocker recomendation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BBC Rocker recomendation
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wooley:
Is it possible the rocket arm broke because the piston hit the valve? Thinking the broken rocker is a result of rather than cause.

Not sure if the rocker caused it or something else. I will find out soon.

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

Posts: 1989 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not sure if the rocker caused it or something else. I will find out soon.

Don't know your timeline for a tear down (I'll assume that's what you're alluding to), but you can get a bore scope off eBay, that works on your phone w/free app, for next to nothing. Just a suggestion if you don't already have a bore scope.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
A leak down test might be beneficial

If a valve hit a piston it may be slightly bent and a leak down test may show a lot of leakage in that cylinder.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a 454 BBC with Steel heads in my bracket Nova. My kid and I run the crap out of this car it is super fun to drive. Its 6.0s @ 114ish. It just bent a valve last weekend. It has stud mounted Harland sharp rockers. I check the valves every other time out. I rarely have to adjust anything. I started to take it apart at the track and noticed the center pivot on the rocker was cracked. Im guessing the rockers stuck and hung the valve open. Cam is .714 lift roller lifters should I have shaft rockers on this? Trying to do this as economical as possible. Recommendation?

Were these rockers the HD version? If so, there is a possible issue with the trunion. It is smaller diameter than the original. We broke 4 trunions at one time recently.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I put a new set of Comp Cams pro magnums on the nova and have not had a problem. Just think the old rockers where wore out and failed.

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

Posts: 1989 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post