DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Conventional Headed 582
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Conventional Headed 582
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
Just curious about how much power folks are making with a conventional headed 582 on gas? I know dyno numbers vary so lets try this, put that 582 in a 2200 door car, how fast are some of you guys?

Just interested/curious.....

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking 5.0s - teens depending on weather and track elevation.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
Back in 2008 or 2009 I assembled parts for a 582 from Tracy at Sunset. Made 1056 hp on a local dyno. In my small tire, stock suspension car it ran 8.50’s/5.40’s at approx 3200 lbs with driver.

A couple years later after some tweaks from Tony Bischoff at BES it made 1177 hp (4.98 @ 2950 lbs), then 1205 hp (5.0's at 3025 lbs) a year later.

But 1000-1050 hp is pretty typical for a 582 using off the shelf parts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fabman,

Posts: 272 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Fabman. What Heads and Intake were you using on that Build??

Posts: 227 | Location: North Royalton Ohio US*** | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S/S Dart:
Fabman. What Heads and Intake were you using on that Build??
Brodix Head Hunter 377MC with the Brodix intake. We later swapped to the SV565.

Still using this engine today.

Posts: 272 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
2600 lb doorcar I have been 5.12 in decent air and 8.10 in the 1/4 in decent air l, not mine shaft air.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
my buddy has a all alum 582with bb3 heads. runs low 4.60s in a older digger and been a best of 4.58 i think

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1394 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Alot is going to depend on compression and heads, Is it not, We had a 565 with BMF 385 heads that ran 490s in a 2400 pound door car but it had injection and we leaned on it pretty hard.

Posts: 22 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: June 09, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I'm just trying to see if I'm at least in the ball park with my 582. 1.13 / 4.90-92 @ mid 136, which seemed average, nothing special.

Thanks for the replies.

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
I'm just trying to see if I'm at least in the ball park with my 582. 1.13 / 4.90-92 @ mid 136, which seemed average, nothing special.

Thanks for the replies.

Bob

What rear gear? I have 4.30 and block I was running at the time I knew was weak so I was shifting at 7000 trying to make it live it let go the last race of the year so I had to buy a new block and crank and haven’t run it the past year.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
1.80 in the glide, a 9 inch spragless and a 4.29 with a 33.5/15 Hoosier. Since I now only run the car at a local 1/8th mile track it probably could use a little more gear, maybe a 4.56 or a 4.88.

Bob

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Should have at least a 4.86 rear gear

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
1.80 in the glide, a 9 inch spragless and a 4.29 with a 33.5/15 Hoosier. Since I now only run the car at a local 1/8th mile track it probably could use a little more gear, maybe a 4.56 or a 4.88.

Bob

I run pretty much same setup but 32.5 tire and I ha so my made one 1/4 mile pass in the past few year I was considering a 4.88 but new owners of a track I used to run some is doing major improvements and they run 1/4 so I will probably leave it alone for now.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
God Bless The NHRA for their many years in existence but the reality is I no longer can afford their 1/4 mile events and the long tow expenses. Frankly, I'm sort of over "Funding" the fuel classes and racing for a purse that, even when winning wouldn't cover my gas and entry expense.

I'll probably replace the 4.29 with a 4.86 give up the 1/4 mile events and enjoy racing at the local 1/8th mile events.

Bob

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
God Bless The NHRA for their many years in existence but the reality is I no longer can afford their 1/4 mile events and the long tow expenses. Frankly, I'm sort of over "Funding" the fuel classes and racing for a purse that, even when winning wouldn't cover my gas and entry expense.

I'll probably replace the 4.29 with a 4.86 give up the 1/4 mile events and enjoy racing at the local 1/8th mile events.

Bob

Hi Bob, I'm starting to think the 12-14 hour round trip to Vegas might not work for me...I liked Barona ok but not enough shut down was kinda hard on the brakes...had to replace pads after running there...And I had a 180mph parachute that did nothing at 145-150....I think I'm going to get a bigger chute and give Barona another try....But I can't be dropping the dragster nose into the sand like it did on a couple of runs last time I was there.....too much excitement for me lol

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
How long is the shut down at Barona? We wouldn't/won't race at any track that we had to pull the chute to safely make the turnoff.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Good Morning Guys:

From the stripe to the sand box the distance is exactly 1320, smooth but shorter than you have been accustom to. That is about to change. The plan is to move the starting line back to provide a longer stopping area.

They have had a number of 150+ MPH door cars stop without using the chute. I still lift about 60 - 70 feet early and have never gotten close to "Beaching" the car. The quickest
and fastest I have ever run the car at Barona has been 5.0's and 135 just not willing to take the risk. Brave I ain't!

You need to be aware that this isn't a 1/4 mile track, your "internal clock" can get you into trouble. After a few runs it all seems natural.

Bob
ps: Numidia is on my bucket list!

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bob, If you’re saying there is 1320 feet of shut down to the turnoff, that’s more than enough for a 150mph bracket car that if the driver has a clue isn’t WOT to the stripe 99% of his runs anyway, to slow without a chute proving his brakes are functioning spot on which we know many with dragsters are not for several reasons. I would also say that if this is your home track and you race a dragster, investing in dual calipers, for a stand alone handbrake would be smart.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good Morning Guys:

From the stripe to the sand box the distance is exactly 1320, smooth but shorter than you have been accustom to. That is about to change. The plan is to move the starting line back to provide a longer stopping area.

They have had a number of 150+ MPH door cars stop without using the chute. I still lift about 60 - 70 feet early and have never gotten close to "Beaching" the car. The quickest
and fastest I have ever run the car at Barona has been 5.0's and 135 just not willing to take the risk. Brave I ain't!

You need to be aware that this isn't a 1/4 mile track, your "internal clock" can get you into trouble. After a few runs it all seems natural.

Bob
ps: Numidia is on my bucket list!

Bob, I know Barona is your home track so I'm not saying you're wrong, but Having ran there myself, I find it hard to believe there's a 1/4 mile of shutdown after the finish line.... Surely I can stop my car 150-0 in 1320 feet???
Just wondering.....

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Dave it's hard to believe but I've walked that shut down more times than I'd like to admit, and it's 1320 feet long. The hard part for a lot of new races, and a few of us older guys, is that it comes up SO fast that their internal clock mises the stripe. I would strongly advise anyone new to Barona to make a conservative first pass to get use to how fast that stripe comes up. There have been times where I got a little lazy with the brakes at Fontana and found myself flying right along when that right turn came up. Familiarity breeds contempt, I'm a prime example of that. I got to thinking there's a lot of stopping area, and there wasn't, this isn't Tucson.

I will say that there is little room for a mistake. In spite of that there have been lots of heavier door cars that run in the mid 4's and mid 150's stop without a chute, you just have to be awake and smart, don't get the car bouncing by bombing the brakes, just apply them and a 150 car like yours will stop with room to spare.

If you want to come down let me know and I'll show up to help.

Bob