DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Desulfication of batteries
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Desulfication of batteries
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Anyone have any luck with any units? Which?

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Autometer BEX-5000.

Posts: 106 | Location: Indy | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
No personal experience with these, but this seems to be a professional outfit and there's a lot of info you might find useful. They have an in depth menu of products and information.

http://www.chargingchargers.com/pulsetech.php

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2332 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Was wondering if anyone had some experience actually bringing an older one back to life. The impedance brought on by the sulfication of the acid.......not sure how well they work but I think I'm going to give it a shot on the batteries I removed from the race car. I'll keep everyone posted if I learn anything of value.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Ive seen optimas and XS 16 volt batteries brought back to life after having this done to them. It is definitely a nice tool to have in your shop.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 704 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Got this one last month. I had my doubts. Tried it on 4 Group 31 semi batteries. Both failed load test and have been at 2-3 volts for months. These were cores going back. Ran the procedure and i was amazed. Batteries came back to 95%. Performed more load test on these again and passed. As long as the cells are not shorted.

https://www.harborfreight.com/...gg_q=battery+charger

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
No personal experience with these, but this seems to be a professional outfit and there's a lot of info you might find useful. They have an in depth menu of products and information.

http://www.chargingchargers.com/pulsetech.php

Maybe a little insight.. I worked with this company when they were just getting their feet wet in the Army.

I was an Army Warrant Officer in charge of maintenance for several units. One of my teams ran a battery shop where "in the old days" we accepted batteries from the unit and rebuilt them then reissued.

When I took over the shop was not used other than as a place for a few of my soldiers to hide out in.
I started investigating why so many batteries were being replaced and found a lot of perfectly good batteries sitting on pallets. Diagnostics by replacement, that's the way most units performed maintenance. I could spend hours talking about this.

Anyway I recommended we test the batteries on our end before issuing a new one, we cut battery consumption by at least 25% by turning them back to the unit. The the rest of the batteries were taken to the shop to de-sulphate and tested further.
We used equipment from Pulse Tech They also have a tester that is simple to use and very accurate. My shop saved hundreds of thousand dollars by using this equipment to save batteries. I even set up a mini battery shop for my Armored Bn. in Kosovo to keep our tanks mission capable. At that time dead of winter and equipment sitting unused batteries just died.
I kept a couple of dozen batteries on the pulse equipment at all times.

I have one of their pulse chargers here at home for my use.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3304 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Great info. Thank you all!!!

BG