DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Fuel pressure with belt drive pump
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fuel pressure with belt drive pump
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I have a belt drive pump with alky carb and bypass return regulator and want to know if the wide open pressure can be checked other than going down track.

PMWLLC

Posts: 7 | Location: At the track | Registered: December 23, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My belt pump is at full pressure on the chip at 4400

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks

PMWLLC

Posts: 7 | Location: At the track | Registered: December 23, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
It's my thought that a return style regulator should keep the pressure the same (approximately) no matter what the RPM. That is as long as the return line is big enough to bleed off the excess fuel required to keep the pressure at the desired setting. That is why most High Volume systems like the Aeromotive states specifically to use a #10 return.

Posts: 2105 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:
It's my thought that a return style regulator should keep the pressure the same (approximately) no matter what the RPM. That is as long as the return line is big enough to bleed off the excess fuel required to keep the pressure at the desired setting. That is why most High Volume systems like the Aeromotive states specifically to use a #10 return.

That's true with a constant flow system with an electric pump. A belt drive pumps output increases with rpm, so does pressure. (usually) The poppet (or diaphragm) sets the idle pressure. A jet is used to control (increase) the pressure at higher rpm. This is useful with alky carbs.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
That makes sense. I know ours increases about a pound on the run.

Posts: 2105 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post