Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    B&M Pro Ratchet 3spd rev pattern with a Shifnoid????
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

B&M Pro Ratchet 3spd rev pattern with a Shifnoid????
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted
I installed a Pro Ratchet on my rev pattern T350. Has anyone wired the NS switch with relays like the instructions show? If so what did you do about the safety relay being energized constantly?

Posts: 645 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Wire the +12v for the NS switch to the ignition ON.

Posts: 585 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I believe THIS is the wiring diagram you are using….

What I wrote previously solves the problem with the NNSR being energized all the time when +12v is applied at the COM of NS, but will not allow you to crank the engine with the ignition switch in the OFF position. Switching this to some other device will allow you to crank when turned on. Or you can wire to their drawing with NNSR relay on whenever +12v is applied.

In their wiring drawing I dislike the use of a micro switch on the shifter to control the shift solenoid. If it were my choice to wire, I’d use the “Normally Open +12v Hot” for the NNSR relay. I’d then wire the Shiftnoid Interface Relay like the “Normally Open Ground” and removing the wire from NSS terminal NC and attaching it to a +12v source that could now be fused and constant or to the Ignition ON switch.

Posts: 585 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
That is the diagram I'm using, sorry I didn't link it. I have an MSD RPM switch so it's the left diagram. I didn't want to use the ignition for the reason you stated. I'll have to draw out what you suggest and see how it looks. I wondered what others have done, plenty of these in use. I'm betting many don't wire a safety relay which allows a chance to have it shift to 1st if you rev the engine in neutral high enough to trigger the solenoid.

Posts: 645 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I understand and can agree with the safety factor that does not allow the shift solenoid to actuate when the shifter is in Neutral if the shift rpm limit would be accidentally triggered.

Here’s something else to be aware of. When you are doing your burnout and achieve shift rpm, or if you reach the shift rpm prior to the finish line, the shift solenoid is being activated. This coil type does draw a good amount of current.

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
I believe THIS is the wiring diagram you are using….

In their wiring drawing I dislike the use of a micro switch on the shifter to control the shift solenoid. If it were my choice to wire, I’d use the “Normally Open +12v Hot” for the NNSR relay. I’d then wire the Shiftnoid Interface Relay like the “Normally Open Ground” and removing the wire from NSS terminal NC and attaching it to a +12v source that could now be fused and constant or to the Ignition ON switch.

The NO terminal of the micro switch is wired to term 85 of the NNSR relay in the diagram which is how I have it. If I change the Shifnoid interface relay term 85 to 12v switched everything will work but there will be no protection from the solenoid activating in neutral.
I know there is very little chance of reaching the shift RPM in neutral or park if free revving the motor but that is what the wiring is designed to prevent. I have been leaning towards wiring like you say, which is how I had my Pro Stick wired when I had a Shifnoid on it. But that shifter couldn't shift into a gear even if you hit the shift RPM free revving.

DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
Not that it will help you with your original question, but I added a secondary neutral safety switch to my car a few years ago. It is the typical Moroso switch people put under their hood to crank the engine over when setting valves. It is in parallel to the switch inside the shifter. Should that one ever die I can still crank the engine over, not easy to do, but is possible and won't leave me stranded.

Posts: 1375 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I've considered a bypass or something else for the just in case situation. I've had a switch under the hood for valve adjustment and if I wire another it will be through the NS switch. I like the NS switch powering a relay on a GM starter as the solenoid draws a fair amount of amperage.