New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dzus fasteners
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
This is probably a silly question, but I don’t know. Someone please enlighten me. What is the correct way to measure a dzus fasteners length?

Posts: 46 | Location: stonypoint,nc | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
And another tip. After many years of installing and working with them, I like the hex [Allen head] in either countersunk or rounded head.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1833 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Have you ever had any issue of those rounding out the holes? I have slotted ones but they can be a pain in the you know what....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Mark,

I like the steel hex head and have had no issues with them rounding out. Would never go back to the screwdriver type.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Slotted dzus fasteners have been the cause of many scratches on show quality paint jobs for decades unless you had/have a wrap. Laughing very hard

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
A little off topic but has anyone ran the push button type dzus fasteners? I have them on a fglass body and a little nervous if they’re reliable???

Posts: 1146 | Location: Busy putting up crop circles | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pivotdoc:
A little off topic but has anyone ran the push button type dzus fasteners? I have them on a fglass body and a little nervous if they’re reliable???

I have seen a bunch being used on the nose of a dragster. Never seen a nose fly off if that helps

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I have sockethead or allen dzus that are aluminum. Not to worry with these you will break them before stripping them, Thats down side to the aluminum ones. With steel I would imagine neither stripping nor near as much breaking would be issue.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I was just about to order 75 of them in assorted sizes and didnt realize you measure to the top of the lock not the tip of the dzus.

Also i was about to order the slotted maybe i should try the hex style,save my paint job lol

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Mike, order the hex

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike, order the hex

have you used the washers as well?? looks like they will save paint also

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Slotted dzus fasteners have been the cause of many scratches on show quality paint jobs for decades unless you had/have a wrap. Laughing very hard

Dont worry, ive fooked up good/show quality wraps with screw drivers too

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Laughing Hard

quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
quote:
Mike, order the hex

I use the plastic washers from Intensity Racing Products aka Phil Smida S/C, S/G and S/ST division 3 racer.

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2109 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
I converted my entire car to the hex type a few years ago. I use a 3/16" ball end T-driver on them.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Laughing Hard

quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
quote:
Mike, order the hex

I use the plastic washers from Intensity Racing Products aka Phil Smida S/C, S/G and S/ST division 3 racer.

Although the washers help the paint issues, it's not a fix all solution. The best way to fix this problem is to have a set of Dzus fasteners that are turned down a bit that are used just for painting, then there is no paint under the full size Dzus to chip off and it's large enough to cover all the bare area!

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
Using correct Dzus tools will rarely scratch or slip. My wife and I have scratched it though using screw drivers.....just like dragging the battery charger.....lol. I like the idea of slotted Dzus's mainly for the fact that if there is a time sensitive catastrophe, more than one person usually has something to turn them.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nitzsche:
I like the idea of slotted Dzus's mainly for the fact that if there is a time sensitive catastrophe, more than one person usually has something to turn them.

That’s my thought as well.

I’ve done far more scratching while trying to do top panels by myself than with a tool slipping out of the fastener.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post