DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    250 tbs blower causing issues …?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

250 tbs blower causing issues …?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
So I strap the blower on on my 582 combo that has probably over 1500 passes in n/a mode with the reg. Maintenance over the years 1000 hp stuff nothing exotic . I put new valves springs pac 1224 as I do every other year and go to chassis dyno . Made good power .11 pulls 1225 hp all good . Take it to the track and it’s burning up pushrod tips on the rockers ? Changed the first one then did another burnout and burned another 2 on different hole . Why would it be doing that same cam same rpm etc ,would the quicker acceleration that the blower makes require more spring pressure ? Have my pushrods come to the end of their life cycle ?

Posts: 40 | Location: canada | Registered: December 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abitz:
So I strap the blower on on my 582 combo that has probably over 1500 passes in n/a mode with the reg. Maintenance over the years 1000 hp stuff nothing exotic . I put new valves springs pac 1224 as I do every other year and go to chassis dyno . Made good power .11 pulls 1225 hp all good . Take it to the track and it’s burning up pushrod tips on the rockers ? Changed the first one then did another burnout and burned another 2 on different hole . Why would it be doing that same cam same rpm etc ,would the quicker acceleration that the blower makes require more spring pressure ? Have my pushrods come to the end of their life cycle ?

Is it just on the exhaust pushrods?

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2544 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
need a better material ,call scoggins and ****ey raceshop for the fix

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1410 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
quote:
Originally posted by abitz:

Is it just on the exhaust pushrods?

Both

Posts: 40 | Location: canada | Registered: December 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Not experianced with baby blower, but lots with the big ones. That said so you can take input at face value.

Blower do stress intake valvetrain more,probably not near as much as 50 lb b oost. With my whipple I replaced intak springs every run and shimmed exhuast every 6 to 8.

Now as for blower causing issue. How much power would you figure you added? Now has blower caused issue or more power made any weak area show its face?

I would say more oiling to pushrod ends. Better pushrod cups or tips with lubricating coating on them. Maybe geometry not that it changed but the acceleration rate increased.

I fail to see any way the blower directly affected pushrods wituot is be friction based problem.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
No way 5 or 6lbs boost would cause this unless the push rods were inferior material to begin with, even with that only the Exhaust should be affected because it is opening against the boost. Sounds like a oiling issue if its both. Call Manton and see what they say

Posts: 2423 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Did you switch to alcohol when you put the blower on?

Is it milking the oil?

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I don't see how the blower itself is related to push rods failing. Unless somehow when you installed the blower intake, the distributor isn't in the correct location up and down and is somehow shorting the top end for oil??? I think the top end oiling goes through that hole near the lower half of the distributor shaft, theres a step in the distributor body that blinds the bottom and top of that hole. Possibly depth isn't perfect and you've somehow blocked off the flow to that passage and now the top end is not getting enough oil???

I always loosen the slip collar, remove gasket, push distributor down till fully engaged, then tighten collar, add a thick gasket and that's it.

Are you burning out at the same RPM as NA?

Posts: 373 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
So update : I pulled all the rockers and only passengers side head has the issues with almost all the pushrods intake and exhaust .

- yes it’s alky motor and oil is good .
- only pulling 5 lbs of boost
- pushrods are comp can .80 Chromoly probably have 1500 passes on them .

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
If its only on 1 side then Definatly oiling issue, something restricting that side. I would pull the manifold and check all the lifters, but before that double check the distributer height as was already mentioned, if you have a engine primer install it and check flow to the rockers.

Posts: 2423 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Give Alan Glatt a call.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12167 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
If its only on 1 side then Definatly oiling issue, something restricting that side. I would pull the manifold and check all the lifters, but before that double check the distributer height as was already mentioned, if you have a engine primer install it and check flow to the rockers.

That’s a good idea I will prime it and see how the oil flows . As for distributor I installed it without gasket with loose collar then added the gasket . The only thing I did not use one of the o ring gaskets on the shaft as it ripped . But it ran like that without the blower .

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Are you running restrictors? If so, get rid of them.....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
UPDATE !

I pulled distributeur and primed the engine passenger side is full of oil , drivers side not a drop !!! So it’s an oiling issue !

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Now pull the manifold and check the lifters and oil flow to the lifters on that side

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Like Steve says check that dry oil galley. You can run the prime tool, Starting with the very rear lifter pull it and check for oil discharge. Continue down the line. As a side note i have seen where as the front galley plug came out and that was an issue also.

Non Priority oiling starts from the top down.
Priority oiling starts from the bottom up.

Older blocks>>Non priority.
Newer blocks>> Priority.

Just some pointers...

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
UPDATE !!!

So pulled intake and started priming took no oil coming out of passenger side ! Lifters all look great even blew air through holes to see if blocked .

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Just to also mention this is a dart big m block

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Well being a Dart block it has priority oiling and is feeding from the front of the block off the main oil galley. Being you are getting oil to only 1 side my bet is the block has oil restrictors for the lifter galleys and one of them is plugged up with something. If the galley plug had fell out seems to me it would affect both sides and overall oil pressure to the entire engine. Time to pull the cam gear off and remove the galley plug and have a look

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Big Steve,

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Pretty simple video on priority.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBeUClZs9RU

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post