DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Brake line plumbing Q: 'tension relief coils'
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brake line plumbing Q: 'tension relief coils'
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted
Guys, on your race cars, how many of you bother to put in coils of brake line below the master cylinder? I believe the factory does this to allow some 'give' between the body and the chassis. I think they're called 'tension relief coils' or something.

I'm replacing most of the brake lines on my S10, which of course has a separate frame and rubber body mounts.

BTW, I'm replacing the 1/4" line to the rear brakes with 3/16" line; it has 4-wheel disc brakes now and I think the 1/4" was needed for the rear drums for some reason.

Cheers!
T.

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Bad,

I think with any layout some curves are a good idea allowing for slight flex. I do not think the factory method of several loops is required.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1828 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Larry. One mine I wound up putting in a couple of loops; partly to take up the slack of a too-long pre-flared brake line (I got lazy).
I had in fact considered using a couple short lengths of -3AN braided brake hoses to make that jump.

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post