Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Freeze plug Block Heater
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Freeze plug Block Heater
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
What brand are you using? Had Kats brand new for 2017 season only lasted 3 months ! Who makes high quality one? Sbc on alcohol

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mxx68,

Posts: 21 | Location: rubicn wi. | Registered: December 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mxx68:
What brand are you using? Had Kats brand new for 2017 season only lasted 3 months ! Who makes high quality one? Sbc on alcohol

Posts: 21 | Location: rubicn wi. | Registered: December 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of fatpack
posted Hide Post
One thing to consider is cavitation in the cooling system when running the water pump. On trucks using block heater in the winter the block heater should be unplugged before starting the truck. Air bubbles get to the element create a hot spot and burn it out. I don't run my pump with the block heater on. jmo

Walt

Posts: 34 | Location: Sykesville | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
la-291718944609&CATARGETID=230006180039220957&cadevice=c&gclid=CjwKCAjwlrnNBRBMEiwApKU4POVb6XY3837PlWKHFMHSP6KA76y7trQ0O4hlxyL_DvKDYfwLXcQa_RoCV-sQAvD_BwE" target="_blank">http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555...LXcQa_RoCV-sQAvD_BwE

Ive had one on each side of my motors for the last 15 years with no issues. Saves on fuel big time. I usually only plug in one unless its really cold out. I also cover my engine with a blanket.

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

Posts: 1883 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67SS
posted Hide Post
Kats also makes heaters that fit in the lower radiator hose. And unless you have a closed coolant system you better not be running the pump with the heater on as air will pop the element.

Chad Harris

Posts: 1279 | Location: Vinton, Virginia | Registered: May 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
A couple of my buddies are running the one Chad mentions, seems to work great.

'69 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7117 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the information I did have the block heater plugged in when warming up the car will try a new one