New
Find
Notify
Tools

Q16 questions
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Tuning on dyno last night and didn't color the plugs hardly even though we were at stoich and below.
This normal for this fuel?

Posts: 690 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I’ve only read a couple Q plugs on a nitrous motor. I don’t remember what the base of the porcelain looked like, but the top of the porcelain had turned yellow from a little bit of idle time. I remember suggesting he pull a little fuel so guessing it was probably showing color at the bottom like a typical gas plug.

Are you cutting them apart or using one of those little scopes? I have found that the less experience someone has reading plugs, they tend to have a harder time finding a fuel ring. I don’t know anything about the guys reading your plugs just offering a general observation.

Also what do your straps look like? The one Q combo I looked at had no heat in the strap but ran pretty good for what it was. I hate making suggestions on combos I’m not familiar with but I did suggest 0.5 degrees and the car responded with a few hun and about 1 mph. I didn’t get to see the straps afterward though but have always wondered if a good strap looks any different on Q vs regular.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I have been running it for years, 598 & 632. It is not a fill and go fuel. I only cut the plugs once for a baseline and went from there. You'll notice gray soot like substance in the exhaust ports along with a tinge of yellow on the plugs. To properly run Q, mods have to be done. 6-8% increase in fuel delivery is normal. The fuel likes to collect moisture..Here is a little info to read when you get some time.

https://www.hotrod.com/article...oxygenated-race-gas/

Contact Jmarkaudio.....Mark Whitener on here. The man is a genius.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Read plugs with an iluminated loupe and let the dyno numbers show what the engine liked.
Strap showed heat and the timing mark.
Curious to see how much the tune will change at the track

Posts: 690 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I can tell you this. Running the Q at the track. Get in the water at the same engine temp every time if you can. I make it in at 140.Called better vaporization with the heat.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
What carb and engine combo?

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
1st carb was a 2 circuit Dominator made 810hp
2nd was a 1250 quick fuel made 837hp but it was lean from 5500 to 6800, picked up to 837hp after 7000 to 7400.
It's a 470" Buick.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B.C.Malibu:
Read plugs with an iluminated loupe and let the dyno numbers show what the engine liked.
Strap showed heat and the timing mark.
Curious to see how much the tune will change at the track
.........Usually from the Dyno to the track. It will want a little more fuel and a little less timing.

Fellow racer and servant of the Lord of Lords
John 14:6
"Creekside Racing Ministry"
MFI system, ProCharger Non-intercooled [6.02 @ 229 or 3.91/660' soft tune and killing power above 6K rpm]
Ron Clevenger

Posts: 1006 | Location: Visalia, Calif. 93292 | Registered: November 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post