DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    weld v series front runner wheel bearing question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

weld v series front runner wheel bearing question
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
The other sets of wheels ive used on dragsters have had the press fit roller bearings 1628-2rs fronts and 6205rs rear bearings.Thet offer a perfect fit.
The new weld V series 17 inch dragster wheels use a standard taper bearing. The front bearings are 03062 and the rear bearinings are BR07097.
Everything fits nice except the 5/8 castle nut bottoms out just before you can get a cotter pin in it.
Did they send the wrong bearings? or is there a trick here im missing?
The wheel part number from weld is 84B-17000 which says it fits lamb,starnge and anglia spindle mount

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I don’t know if it helps but I just put new tires on my car and one side the nut was always a little to tight to get a cotter pin in there and have the right adjustment on the bearings.

I put the nut in a lathe and trimmed a little off the back and problem is solved. If it’s not much material to be removed that might be a solution. The nuts are very wide and can easily be trimmed without hurting it.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I put the nut in a lathe

It looks like that would work for sure...but i would think they would make something that would bolt together properly

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I hate to say it but thinking something made for racing would fit without some “massaging” is often is a mistake.

I’m old school, I make it fit if I can.

Look it over real good to be sure the bearings and races are seated properly and the wheel is on as it should be. I’m sure you probably did

You could probably find other castle nuts that might fit better but if it’s possible to trim some off yours it’s easy.

Chucking the nut up as square as you can get it is a little tough but close will be ok.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
https://www.facebook.com/group...nk/3951622988222565/ These are the ones I used on my V series front wheels of my American, had no issues.

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
These are the ones I used on my V series front wheels of my American, had no issues.

thanks barny those are the same bearings i have...looks like i gotta trim my nuts

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mad Dog
posted Hide Post
Are you positive the races are installed to the correct depth?

As I recall when new, V series fronts come without races installed, at least ours did from weld. They were shipped with bearing and race packs but needed install...

Dan

DOES YOUR IDEOLOGY ALLOW YOU TO EQUITABLY APPLY STANDARDS OF ACCOUNTABILITY OR DOES IT PROMOTE THE PRACTICE OF HYPOCRISY?

Posts: 226 | Location: ... --- ... | Registered: November 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

I bought the wheels from jerry bickel race cars.They have a special tool they designed to install races in this style wheel so i had them install them...they looked properly installed from what i can see

DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
quote:

I bought the wheels from jerry bickel race cars.They have a special tool they designed to install races in this style wheel so i had them install them...they looked properly installed from what i can see

Sounds like the machinist quit too soon. Either fix his mistake, or make up for it with your nuts.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
in this day and age it seems tolerances can stack ip more than they use too

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1408 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If possible, it is acceptable to use one half of the cotter pin. That is to say, open the pin, cut one side off, then bend the 1/2 pin around in a "Z" shape.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1829 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of sammy christian
posted Hide Post
That's the test for whether you should have a race car or not- figuring out how to do things since NOTHING on a race car "just bolts together".
failed.

6.41@221 (so far)
4.11@178
off the shelf/built it myself

Posts: 82 | Location: Amherst, Ny | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's the test

oh i definitely should not have a race car!!