DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Battery disconnect
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battery disconnect
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted
What brand of battery disconnect is most using with good luck?

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I've been using the Flaming River Big Switch for many years without issue...

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Moroso on both my cars but they are made by Cole Hersee

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Moroso 4-post on my dragster with alternator. My brothers car uses two Cole Hersee Continuous duty solenoids, one for the main power and one for the alternator so it is disconnected from the battery when the power is shut off from the car.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
We use Heavy Duty continuous duty solenoid from Fastronix. Easy to wire "kill switch" to rear of car and inside for driver as all it takes is a toggle switch or basic push-pull headlamp switch in back of car that is wired pull-on completes ground and push-off that breaks ground. We use 16-gauge wire from switch to On-Off solenoid.

Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Cole Hersee 75912-BX on both cars, which is a double post switch so it shuts the alternator off too. Currently it's $47.47 on Amazon. Moroso re-brands it and calls it 74108 and they get $80-90 for it.

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
Cole Hersee 75912-BX for me.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I use Cole Hersee 2484-A SPST 175A continuous, 1000A intermittent rated. My alternator is on its own separate disconnect.

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
Cole Hersee 75912-BX on both cars, which is a double post switch so it shuts the alternator off too. Currently it's $47.47 on Amazon. Moroso re-brands it and calls it 74108 and they get $80-90 for it.

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Gusack:
Cole Hersee 75912-BX for me.

X3 on the 4-Post/2 Circuit Cole-Hersee 75912-BX.
Whatever you buy, look at the current rating first. Some of those cheap units with plastic levers or keys on them are barely capable of handling enough current for a fuel pump, much less a starter...

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1035 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
On my front engine dragster I have the electric solenoid for master cutoff with switch in drivers compartment and one in back of car. Very convenient.

On my new Altered I am going to set it up with both mechanical master in the rear and the electric solenoid to with switch in drivers compartment.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
On my front engine dragster I have the electric solenoid for master cutoff with switch in drivers compartment and one in back of car. Very convenient.

On my new Altered I am going to set it up with both mechanical master in the rear and the electric solenoid to with switch in drivers compartment.

How are you going to accomplish this? My guess is your going to run the 12+ from battery to one of the switches and then the other side to the second switch? If doing so, you will lose more voltage than needed instead of just doing one or the other... Might want to just consider doing the Electric solenoid, to minimize voltage drop.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
Im needing the proper way to wire in the CH 75912 switch. Ive looked online and IM not fniding anything.

Single battery with alternator.

Thanks

Posts: 395 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
wrong switch for the application

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
this switch will work with any alternator and battery setup.

4 posts rated for high current as opposed to the ones with a smaller signal type contact set.

Littlefuse - Cole Hersee 75912BX DPST

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Fast lane PM sent.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
of course it will work but it's not needed.

Both of my cars are professionally wired, both have alternators and neither has a 4 post master disconnect.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
A power relay also works. I went with this, it's definitely Not WRONG.

BG

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
Had a two pole but lost a lot of juice through it. Was hoping this would be better. Open to more ideas.

Posts: 395 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
The problem you get NOT using a 4 post disconnect is if the voltage regulator / diode in the alternator sticks it can drain your battery. I had this happen more than once before I switched to them.

Yes you can use whatever, but I wouldn't use anything other myself anymore.

SL...

Posts: 2107 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:
The problem you get NOT using a 4 post disconnect is if the voltage regulator / diode in the alternator sticks it can drain your battery. I had this happen more than once before I switched to them.

Yes you can use whatever, but I wouldn't use anything other myself anymore.

SL...

Great information. Never considered that.

BG