DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Fluttering popping and cracking
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fluttering popping and cracking
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Normally wouldn’t ask for help here but I can’t seem to find the issue. Rail with a steel block 598 sr20 on gas. Is fluttering and I can’t seem to find the cause. Was fine when I pulled the motor out last year for freshen up and made about 8 runs this year then started fluttering. Seem to me like it’s more above 6500 rpm. I’ve changed every piece of the msd except the distributor. Been through the valves 3 times now, had the carb apart nothing there either. New wires and plugs also. Tried a new battery to. Going to put a GoPro on the fuel gauge tomorrow to see if that may be it. Been over the wiring on the car no also didn’t see anything there either. Things about to drive me crazy. Anybody got any ideas?

Posts: 81 | Location: nc | Registered: February 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Did you check the valve springs?

Abbott Racing Heads
(432) 558-2841

Posts: 39 | Location: Crane, Texas | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
They are new which doesn’t mean anything I know. I looked them over this morning and nothing is broken there, a buddy of mine is going to check the pressures for me.

Posts: 81 | Location: nc | Registered: February 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
when it ain't the valve springs, ignition or fuel, it's the converter!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My converter man tells me I can’t break his converter. Lol he don’t know me, if it can be broke I can find a way to do it.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
sounds like you already did.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BLIND MULE 2217
posted Hide Post
Cap and rotor?

Posts: 354 | Location: Opelika AL, | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Check the fuel pump flow first

Contact the manufacturer for flow specs and recheck float levels with motor running.

Posts: 2961 | Location: Boon Docks, FL | Registered: March 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
Torque converters don't pop and crack. And torque converters are the number 1 thing blamed on this web site and usually wrong. Ohm the plug wires 1st.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Fluttering, popping and missing is NOT the converter.
I would change out the ignition box with a known good one. Check crank trigger pick up, and I agree with checking fuel pressure down track. Also trying a different carb is a quick and easy way to help narrow it down and eliminate that variable.
Check the easy and cheap stuff first.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3972 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Torque converters don't pop and crack. And torque converters are the number 1 thing blamed on this web site and usually wrong. Ohm the plug wires 1st.
change the hi end chip 200 rpm higher too.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
for those that can't read...

when it ain't the valve springs, ignition or fuel, it's the converter!

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Gas or Alcohol?
Spark plugs arent what they used to be,try new set.
I personally had a crank trigger wheel go retarded one time, wouldnt go over 6000-6500, replaced the wheel and issue went away, no missing magnets or anything obvious.
With no data, man you can throw a lot of parts and money at this and may never find it.
Buddy of mine has like an 06-07 Mullis, did nothing but print tickets for 5-6 years, one day it started this "laying over/popping/missing/****ing/bucking" every 2-3 runs, replaced every piece on the car over the course of about 6 months, finally stripped every piece of wiring, replaced with all brand new and that fixed it.

Shane Carr

"Sugar Shane"

Posts: 119 | Location: No clue | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Check the master disconnect also. You can bypass it for one pass if you have to just to see. I had one go bad and sounded like I hit the chip prematurely.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^ If they get "loosened up" inside from vibrations they will lose contact and could cause your issue. Jump across it and make a run, then you eliminate on easy thing to check.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1217 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 00 DEAD ON
posted Hide Post
What is the burn out chip? Had a bad burn out button that caused the motor to pop and miss Just something else to check. Good luck

Brian Mollison
2009 RaceTech Dragster
2020 Sumerduck Dragway VA Top ET Champion
2017 Sumerduck Top ET & SSS Track Champion
2017 MAC Top ET Track Champion
2009 Sumerduck Dragway Va Top ET & IHRA SSS Track Champion
2008 IHRA Division 1 Top ET Bracket Final Runner-up
2007 Colonial Beach Dragway Top ET Track Champion

Posts: 1026 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toad1:
^^^^ If they get "loosened up" inside from vibrations they will lose contact and could cause your issue. Jump across it and make a run, then you eliminate on easy thing to check.

I respect testing, but why not take the safer route and just replace the switch and see if it goes away? Not being able to disconnect power in an emergency could be a bad situation during a run.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6365 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyc:
My converter man tells me I can’t break his converter. Lol he don’t know me, if it can be broke I can find a way to do it.

Must be a Carolina boy's thing.LOL Before we went FC racing saying around Piwdmont was give it to Chris or Gilmer they will break it.

You said not in carb how about rest of fuel system? Pump,filter or a line thats collapsed?
I doubt conveter,but unbolt it and fire engine.
Only takes 3 things to make it run air,fuel and some spark to make it go boom.Fuels easy the spark part is where it can be hard to find.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4170 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The master cut off switch has also been replaced and I have changed the chips out to. It’s had new plug and wires also.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
It’s fine until it’s under a load up in the rpms.