DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    B&M 250 blower and a 598
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

B&M 250 blower and a 598
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Has anyone put a B&M250 blower on a 598? The 598 in question is 1020hp NA, Dart 380's, 13.5:1, injected, on methanol. Idea here would be to install the 250 blower with the Enderle 5" single butterfly, tighten the converter and go racing. I'm reading they can make 10 to 12 psi on a 540 and from my estimates that translates to 7-9 or so on a 598. Just wondering if anyone has done this conversion and what were the results.

As far as blowers go, a kit for a 250 is the same price as a kit for a street 871, given the larger volume of the 871 seems like it would have a better chance of not getting in the way of the 598 and maybe give a little more room for growth down the road if you wanted more power. I know the 250's are the hit these days just looking for someone who's got one on a 598 and has some racing info to back it up.

Looking to run low 4.50 to low 4.40's.

Thanks,

Kris

Posts: 370 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I don't know about that compression even with fairly low boost.
Even if the car is fairly heavy, if it will maintain 8 psi, I would think it would do 4.50 in a dragster. I can't help with the specifics on that blower.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6354 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
My red dragster has a Wilson 598 with BB3s and 250 blower. We have 13 to 1 compression with big APD alcohol carb and 31 tooth pulley up top.

Just went 4.30 at 161 last weekend at 350 feet DA at Galot. Very happy with it. Running 4.42 at 156 during Fling this week.

Posts: 1749 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
we ran 13:1 with 14-71 hi helix at 54% and 42 lbs for long time. That was of coarse in Hemi block which does have stronger bottom end.

I don't see any problem with that combo with that low of boost.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yeah the compression don't really scare me, had a similar deal on a 565 a few years back with a HH 14/71 it loved it. The stroke is more of a concern to me at this point i'm worried about having too much stroke and it trying to knock the rods out the bottom. When everyone around here went to blowers 15 or so years ago, seems like none of them would live if they were 632's, i don't recall anyone doing a 598 and having trouble.

Torqin, sending you a PM.

Thanks,

Kris

Posts: 370 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Nickel:
Yeah the compression don't really scare me, had a similar deal on a 565 a few years back with a HH 14/71 it loved it. The stroke is more of a concern to me at this point i'm worried about having too much stroke and it trying to knock the rods out the bottom. When everyone around here went to blowers 15 or so years ago, seems like none of them would live if they were 632's, i don't recall anyone doing a 598 and having trouble.

Torqin, sending you a PM.

Thanks,

Kris

I did the transmission for years on the first DOT radial tire car to the 4.70's, 4.60's. it was also the second car on DOT radials to go 4.50's and third DOT radial tire car to go 4.40's 10 years ago.

It had a Big Chief 632 w/ ProCharger F3R. It was hell on everything drive train related @ 3150lbs.

It won the first Radial tire championship diamond ring 2009, which is now the Radial vs The World championship diamond ring.

It had aluminum rods /632. Bryant crankshaft. Proline main man tuner did the tuning.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Seems like the 632 was a pretty common deal in pro chargers and turbo charger applications before everyone went 481X and or Hemi, but the roots blower guys i know that tried it (only know 2 personally) for bracket racing didn't have any luck with it. They went back to 1/4" stroke (540, 555, 565) or 4" stroke motors (509, 515, 522) and that seems to be the flavor of recent with blower motors in our areas. The roots blowers make boost immediately, while the centrifugal deals seem to be more a function of RPM. Was just polling the group to see if anyone had luck with 4.500+ stroke BBC's and roots style blowers. Looks like Torquin has all the info i need.

Thanks for the info.

Kris

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Not a 4.50- stroke deal, but mine is a 4.375 stroke (582), with 8-71 and I couldn't be happier. Runs 4.30's not leaning on it hard at all.

Posts: 122 | Location: Over here | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
First weekend out and the TBS 250 blower did everything it was supposed to do.

The setup is the 598 mentioned above, 13:1 compression, Dart 380 pro 2's, 850 lift cam, enderle hat, TBS 250 kit, 8 - 52 nozzle jets in the Enderle Birdcatcher hat, enderle 80A-1 pump, 75 main pill, no high speed. Car weighed 2000 lbs with me in it before the blower, 2004 4 link miller dragster 237", no bead locks, dual calipers. My guess is it should weigh in at about 2070 or so with the blower and 10" converter addition. When i get it on the scales again i'll post an update. 67 bottom pulley, 33 top pulley.

First day out best ET was 4.452 at 152, 1.023 60', 2.878 330'. That's 30 degrees base timing, pulling 10 degrees out for 0.600 seconds then all back in immediately, no ramp. Best boost pressure i saw was 8.5 PSI on the little gage screwed into the manifold with the 1 way check valve. Weather was good i'm thinking 1000' - 500' DA based on what i heard from some folks who were looking at the weather.

Still working on fuel consumption at idle and overall manners while riding around in the pits but this thing is impressive to say the least based on how small the blower is. Thanks Torquin for all the help!

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Kris - What did it run prior to the 250?

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't have guessed it would like so much timing. that's an easy/fast combo.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6354 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Best pass without the blower was 4.77 141, but this car seemed to hang out around 4.80 range. That was with a lose converter that flashed to 6900, obivously i couldn't run that converter with the blower so this is a 10" transmission specialties built for blowers. Its so hard to determine exactly what it flashes to because i'm pulling timing but it appears to hit the converter around 5700/5800 and fall back to around 6300 at the shift so i'm thinking the converter could be loser which i'll work on that a little down the road.

This is a 1.80 straight cut planet and 4.30 rear gear, with 34.5x17x16 Goodyear tire.

Bucky, the timing was an educated guess on what it would need based on my experience with my previous 565 and 14:71 same heads, similar compression, but based on the timing mark on the ground strap its a little toward the electrode vs. being dead in the center of the bend on the ground strap. That tells me it could use a little more timing maybe like 2 degrees, but no real reason to go there for now. I'm thinking i could back the base timing down to 28 and it may be a little less aggressive down low, but its a decent initial tune up. Will take a look at some plugs this weekend to see how close i am on the fuel.

Long term i'm considering a 3.73 rear gear to settle it down early in the run and get all the timing in it for the entire run, for now i'll use timing to get it away from the starting line. I'd like to see it run a little harder up top say 155 and 4.45 but it will be a challenge to make the car run that hard up top if i'm not getting after it pretty good down low so i'm not real sure if i ever try the 3.73 option, just thinking out loud to some degree here.

Kris

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Oh last little bit of info....

Launch at 3200, shift at 7200, cross right at 7100 1/8 mile.

Flash and fall back info comes from play back tach.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
When we started going faster, I switched to a 4.10 gear. Great at the finish line but the small block is a little tough to get to 60' with that gear in it.
Love this combo. Well done.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
what kind of head gaskets you guys using on these high compression engines with that amount of boost copper and o-ring block i assume

Posts: 65 | Location: central indiana | Registered: May 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Nickel:
Best pass without the blower was 4.77 141, but this car seemed to hang out around 4.80 range. That was with a lose converter that flashed to 6900, obivously i couldn't run that converter with the blower so this is a 10" transmission specialties built for blowers. Its so hard to determine exactly what it flashes to because i'm pulling timing but it appears to hit the converter around 5700/5800 and fall back to around 6300 at the shift so i'm thinking the converter could be loser which i'll work on that a little down the road.

This is a 1.80 straight cut planet and 4.30 rear gear, with 34.5x17x16 Goodyear tire.

Bucky, the timing was an educated guess on what it would need based on my experience with my previous 565 and 14:71 same heads, similar compression, but based on the timing mark on the ground strap its a little toward the electrode vs. being dead in the center of the bend on the ground strap. That tells me it could use a little more timing maybe like 2 degrees, but no real reason to go there for now. I'm thinking i could back the base timing down to 28 and it may be a little less aggressive down low, but its a decent initial tune up. Will take a look at some plugs this weekend to see how close i am on the fuel.

Long term i'm considering a 3.73 rear gear to settle it down early in the run and get all the timing in it for the entire run, for now i'll use timing to get it away from the starting line. I'd like to see it run a little harder up top say 155 and 4.45 but it will be a challenge to make the car run that hard up top if i'm not getting after it pretty good down low so i'm not real sure if i ever try the 3.73 option, just thinking out loud to some degree here.

Kris

That Transmission Specialties NorthStar converter will be 7000 drop at shift going from 470's to 4.40's , 6600 - 6700 flash at the hit.

3.73 gear crossing 7200 1/8 155mph, it'll slip 20%. That sounds about right boosted, if it makes the steam to go 155mph.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 3677:
what kind of head gaskets you guys using on these high compression engines with that amount of boost copper and o-ring block i assume

On my small block 12.5:1, 19 psi, cometics

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Years ago I ran a 582 that was about 13:1 with cometics. 14-71 hhr. I don’t remember the boost number, at least 25. Enough to go 6.30s @215 at 2000 lbs.

At the time that was a pretty stout number for a T/D that was towed to the lanes and back. Now you guys are bracket racing the damn things. Well, I guess I might as well try it, still have all the parts laying around and the car has a radiator on it now anyway. I think I still have my 4.50@160 tuneup somewhere from Jegs racing, guess that’s just a regular ol bracket car these days.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
WELL I HAVE RAN THE THE B+M 250 POWERCHARGER ON TOP OF 468 BBC FLAT TOPS WAS CONCERNED ABOUT RUN NING DOME PISTONS BECAUSE OF HEAD GASKET FAILING I GOING TO TRY SOME DOME PISTONS IN THE FUTURE WITH COMETICS ,YOU GUYS USEING HEAD BOLTS OR STUDS

Posts: 65 | Location: central indiana | Registered: May 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
ARP head studs that I’ve had since I was a kid. 76/72 with 30 wt. Originally a nitrous motor and it would chatter the gaskets pretty good going 6.60s. Gaskets looked ok when the blower was on top. I chickened out eventually and went copper and oring but no reason for it in hindsight.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post