DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Shore line cable
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shore line cable
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
My trailer came with a 25’ big-arse shoreline cable with a 50 amp plug. I think the cable is like 6/4? Anyway it’s freakin huge, pulling it back in the trailer after a race is a pain- like wrestling an anaconda while you’re under a cabinet.
Inside my trailer is a 12volt 30 amp power supply, 2-4’ led lights, a few feet of led strip lights, a 32” lcd tv, a 15k BTU rooftop A/C unit, and two 500w quartz lights on the outside. When I’m at the track, add a battery charger, occasionally run a small air compressor, and that’s about it.
I’m changing the 500w quartz to LEDs, but I never use them anyway.
What do you guys use for a shore line? I was figuring removing the anaconda and putting 50’ of 10/4 soo cable with a 220v generator plug- that would get rid of the anaconda and the 50 amp 4 blade plug that I have to adapt to fit anything.
What does everybody else use?

Posts: 97 | Location: South MS | Registered: September 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What about an adapter and just a regular extension cord?

Posts: 608 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
10/3 or 10/4 will supply a trailer, 30 Amp.
If you make it connect to the genset via a 240v twist you will need to have an adaptor to plug in to 120v.
You jump the 2 legs so both legs of the 240v see 120 v.
Or since it is only 30 amps being used in the trailer, you jumper the 2 bus bars together and just run a 10/3 cord with a 120 v 30a plug.

If you keep the 240v setup, then you need to balance the load of the 2 bus, so both legs of the genny draw approx equal amperage.
Which basically amounts to an a/c on 1 leg and the rest of the trailer on the other leg.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bad News:
10/3 or 10/4 will supply a trailer, 30 Amp.
If you make it connect to the genset via a 240v twist you will need to have an adaptor to plug in to 120v.
You jump the 2 legs so both legs of the 240v see 120 v.
Or since it is only 30 amps being used in the trailer, you jumper the 2 bus bars together and just run a 10/3 cord with a 120 v 30a plug.

If you keep the 240v setup, then you need to balance the load of the 2 bus, so both legs of the genny draw approx equal amperage.
Which basically amounts to an a/c on 1 leg and the rest of the trailer on the other leg.

Thanks!!
Sounds about like what I need to do. The load center is set up so that the a/c is on the left bus, everything else is on the right bus. Since it’s set up like that, i’ll find 50’ or so 10/4 soo and put a twist-lock to hit the 220v on my generator.
I have tied the two “hots” together and made an adapter so I could plug into a 120v outlet, it works fine of course but the cord I was using was too small and it wouldn’t hold the A/C.
I will be THRILLED to get the dang anaconda out of my cabinet! 10/4 has gotta be easier to manage than 6/4!

Posts: 97 | Location: South MS | Registered: September 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
Any way you can install a reel??

Cable Reels

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
I'm on my second motorhome that came with that long, 50 am cord. I add an exterior plug, which will get the cord disconnected from the motorhome, and it stays at home. I then have a 30 amp 3' cord that goes between the mh and trailer.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Your local RV supply store has all the adapters.
We went from the twist 50 Amp to 3 prong 30 amp and then down to the regular wall plug for at home.
That will work at the track also unless you are doing AC in the trailer.

I wired up a 30 Amp cord from the motorhome to the trailer likely similar to what Mike N. did .

I have no idea why the trailer mfg. put 50 amp on a race trailer.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the ideas!
Think I'll wire the panel to a weatherproof male plug cut in the wall of the trailer. That way I can make up a 10ga soow cable up that plugs in to the trailer on one end and plugs into generator or shore power on the other.
This way I can roll up my shore line cable OUTSIDE the trailer instead of inside the trailer, inside the end cabinet (!!), trying to pull the anaconda up through the floor. Plus it'll free up two of my lower cabinets, where the anaconda used to live.
Side note: Why in the *&#(*@!! is there so many different styles of "NEMA" plugs that do the same thing?!?

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
My Classic trailer also had a 50 amp cord and plug.

I spent a good amount of time getting that out and replacing it with a smaller cable. It was passed thru a wooden divider and jammed in there. Did it on a very cold day.

I have a twist lock plug that connects to a receptacle fed from my generator...…A 30 amp cord and plug
An adapter to go to a std extension cord from garage.

The NEMA code is usually right on the plug or receptacle and yes there are way to many.....

Home Depot usually has a real good selection......and decent quality

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post