Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    1/8th mile gearing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1/8th mile gearing
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Have a 2900lbs camaro with 1.80 glide and 5.00 rear gear. Has Hoosier 32x14.5's and runs about a 6.10 to the 1/8th. These are my 1/4 mile gears. How much should I pick up at the 1/8th by going to a 5.83 rear gear? Thanks

Posts: 7 | Location: Olympia, Wa | Registered: March 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Very little, if any...

272" Spitzer
Bednar Racing Engines 540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Big Shaft Powerglide
3.73@196

www.ftiperformance.com

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

Posts: 1870 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR All Star
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
not enough to justify the $ and time.

Offering 1st hand experience and advice based on track proven performance, on the web since 1998.

"if you guys are so broke dyck you can't buy USA made parts you need to stay the fuc at home that's the bottomline" ----Tim McAmis

Support our country! Support our Troops! Support our economy! Buy American!!

Posts: 8562 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I prefer to gear my car for 1/4 mile even though most all tracks down here run 1/8 mile. I do that to be easier on motor and leave softer in the heat while still having the option to run 1/4 mile.
With that said I do not think it would help you much on et and may hurt consistency.

"Our products are not designed for ED, they are designed for COMPETITIVE RACERS"

2X SHRA NE2 CHAMPION.

Posts: 1169 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CH.CRAFT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I prefer to gear my car for 1/4 mile even though most all tracks down here run 1/8 mile. I do that to be easier on motor and leave softer in the heat while still having the option to run 1/4 mile.
With that said I do not think it would help you much on et and may hurt consistency.

I AGREE

Posts: 176 | Location: SOUTH LOUISIANA | Registered: December 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Guys I'm just curious because I'm going to do a little heads up 1/8 mile racing

Posts: 7 | Location: Olympia, Wa | Registered: March 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Leave the 5.0 gear in the car, going to the 5.83 is not worth the money, instead buy a fiberglass hood.

Bob

Posts: 2119 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Well it won't cost me anything because I have the 3rd laying around ready to go so it's not that lol just wondering what it actually will do lol

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Since you have the 5.83, throw it in and see what happens. My guess is it won't make much of a change in ET but it might hurt the consistency. Take a 10 run average and see if it is as consistent.

Hey Craft, Mike is headed your way this weekend, towing to Jacksonville.

Bob

Posts: 2119 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Let us know what you pick up. Your not shifting on time are you...??? (Kidding!)

I would add a bit of air to the rears possibly.

Posts: 924 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Allred
posted Hide Post
I agree. Try it. It is the only way to tell. I'd keep the 5.00 gear and consider a 1.98 planetary.

Mike Allred

Posts: 231 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: March 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of David Friedenberg
posted Hide Post
When you say heads up, just what does that mean?

I'm at 4.88 now and if I spray 100 it's spot on for my little small block. Going 5.0's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHE-18x4yjA

I've been 4.98 with 150 shot.

Don't make it harder than it is!

Posts: 941 | Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Put it in there! I had a 5.0 gear in my sbc dragster.

Posts: 474 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad Craig:
Well it won't cost me anything because I have the 3rd laying around ready to go so it's not that lol just wondering what it actually will do lol

Well I suspect if it helps at all on ET it will be minimal and think it will probably hurt consistency.
With that said since you have it go ahead and try it and let us know how it does. Since you already have it will not hurt to try it.

"Our products are not designed for ED, they are designed for COMPETITIVE RACERS"

2X SHRA NE2 CHAMPION.

Posts: 1169 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of the rain maker
posted Hide Post
I too don't think you'll pick up any in ET, but in my experience, more gear always equaled more consistency.

David Hammons

Posts: 48 | Location: gulfport ms | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CH.CRAFT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Craft, Mike is headed your way this weekend, towing to Jacksonville.

THATS A LONG TRIP, I HOPE HE CAN AVOID THE BAD WEATHER. THE IHRA RACE FOR THIS WEEKEND AT SCR WAS CANCELLED FOR THE SECOND TIME AND NOT RESCHEDULED.

Posts: 176 | Location: SOUTH LOUISIANA | Registered: December 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
To the O.P. - How close (or beyond) peak power is your RPM at the stripe with the 5.00 gear?
If already close to or past peak RPM, you could actually fall off by adding more gear.

Dan "Jim" Moore
This year = "Transbrake Jim"
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 421 | Location: Dallas, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Peak power seems to be about 7300 based on performance shifting at that point. I don't have a dyno sheet to say different. In the 1/4 mile it crosses the finish line at 7500 which is holding good power and not falling off in power at that point but also isn't gaining anything. I am unsure what the rpm is at the 1/8 mile mark. I would assume about 6700. I feel the car is geared correctly for 1/4 mile racing FYI

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
So I put in the 5.83 and made a couple test passes Sunday. Picked up the car .05 from the 60' and held it through the 1/8th.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad Craig:
So I put in the 5.83 and made a couple test passes Sunday. Picked up the car .05 from the 60' and held it through the 1/8th.

Nice, glad to hear it helped. Was the air close so you are sure it was all the gear that made the difference and not weather?
I was thinking it would be .05 or less.

2X SHRA NE2 CHAMPION.