DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    2 post Lift for garage
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 post Lift for garage
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
What is a good lift to get for a garage. I'm thinking around a 10k pound 2 post lift. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Brian

Posts: 108 | Location: north carolina | Registered: July 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
I prefer a 4 post drive on. With the wheel option it can be moved around in the shop to any open area. If I need to get the wheels off I just use a jack on the jack tray. Or you can use it as storage with one on top and one under..

Just my opinion, I just think it is more versatile.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Forward - Rotary same thing. Made in USA - Indiana

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I installed a 10k# Atlas 2 post (Greg Smith Equipment) in my attached garage 13 years ago. My race car always sits on it when not servicing my daily drivers. No problems. Made in China.

If I were purchasing today, it’d be 10k# Rotary 2 post with 3-stage asymmetrical arms.

Posts: 2459 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Ravaglioli....

They are made in Italy, and are of a screw design. Can stop anywhere within the range of travel. Once stopped, they are locked and cannot drop or move...Used them years ago when I worked at an import repair shop. Rotary doesn't even compare. Only thing between the two stands is wiring that is routed in conduit over the top. No cables, hydraulics, latches. Can bump them a bit at a time if needed to get vehicle at preferred height....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Good info! Any more?

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
My Bend-Pak is going on 25 years old. Only thing I've had to do to it is replace the equalizing cables. It's a 9k and the columns are formed 1/2" steel with large bearings on the carriage. It's not asymetrical but it's lifted plenty of duallys. I like the height adapter setup with the stackable length adapters and the way the arms lock in place. It does have independent safety releases so I have to walk to the other side to release the safety, no big deal to me.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
I prefer a 4 post drive on. With the wheel option it can be moved around in the shop to any open area. If I need to get the wheels off I just use a jack on the jack tray. Or you can use it as storage with one on top and one under..

Dave

I agree, the four post drive on is one I am getting for same reasons.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4011 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
The last two I have bought have both been 2 post 10,000 Rotarys. I like the flip up style adapters that allow you to adjust without a bunch of stacked adapters. I have had my F450 that weighed over 9k on it as well as several 3500 Chevrolet dualies. In my opinion, 2 post lifts give you the most flexibility to do different tasks.

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
quote:

Dave

Thanks... I never knew such lift existed. I assumed they all had to be bolted down.

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by head gamez:
quote:

Dave

Thanks... I never knew such lift existed. I assumed they all had to be bolted down.

It can be bolted if you don't plan to move it around.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Get as much lift as your concrete will support.

Posts: 521 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The last two I have bought have both been 2 post 10,000 Rotarys. I like the flip up style adapters that allow you to adjust without a bunch of stacked adapters. I have had my F450 that weighed over 9k on it as well as several 3500 Chevrolet dualies. In my opinion, 2 post lifts give you the most flexibility to do different tasks.

Rob Robertson

Hey Rob What brand lift to you buy.

Thanks

Posts: 108 | Location: north carolina | Registered: July 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Rob,
What brand did you buy?

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I have 6 Rotary 2 post in my shop, the only issues I've had have been leaking cylinders on about half of them, they are all 10-20 years old.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
I have a 10klb direct lift 2 post I bought about 15 yrs ago for home, it's been hassle free for home use, but I wouldn't put a big truck on it!!!

Mine is for a 10' ceiling so it kinda sucks to do trans work plus its got the cables going across at the bottom, which also sucks. We have a pretty good system that helps, but a taller lift with top cables is the way to go.

I have a 4 post at work that has 2 slide jacks underneath and that gives tremendous versatility for just about anything, except taking bodies off of frames lol

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by head gamez:
quote:

Dave

I have a 9000# 4 post that has wheels, my 3500 extend cab 8ft bed dodge fits no problem. what is nice is i can wheel it outside and pressure wash the underside of the truck or racecar.
PS your gong to get wet!

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1300 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of sst5167
posted Hide Post
I see pros and cons to both the two post and four post lifts.
The two post lift gives you easy access to wheel and suspension repairs.
As stated above, the four post with the wheel option allows you to move the lift around the shop.
I weighed all these options out for years. It was a tough decision to make! But I finally decided on the four post lift. And I'm glad I did. I like being able to scale my car and make 4 link changes without laying on my back under the car.

Mike Boehner

Posts: 92 | Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ | Registered: January 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I looked around my buddy's auto shop. He has one 4 post and half a dozen two posts. I put in a two post. It has been good to me.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6406 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I looked around my buddy's auto shop. He has one 4 post and half a dozen two posts. I put in a two post. It has been good to me.

Bucky, Which two post did you go with.

Thanks