DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    582 lifter failure
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

582 lifter failure
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
Crower HIPO in my engine

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1352 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Add another for for BAM give Brad a call. Great guy to work with.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the feedback and info. Question I have is it worth getting them rebuilt and saving some money? If so is Bullet still in business or anyone who can rebuild them?

Posts: 608 | Location: Da Swamp!!!! | Registered: October 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Da Shoe:
Thanks for all the feedback and info. Question I have is it worth getting them rebuilt and saving some money? If so is Bullet still in business or anyone who can rebuild them?

Pretty sure Bullet lifters are rebranded Morrel lifters. At Least the ones my son got from Bullet for his Mopar are

Posts: 2426 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I had a set of Isky Red Zone needle bearing lifters converted to bushings.

For what it cost I might as well have bought new...they did replace one pair and that pushed the cost up some....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
This is just a suggestion based on the way I assembled the 582 engine for my roadster:

I bought a Dart Big M 9.855 block directly from Dart and had them do all the machine work. I purchased the Isky Red Zone .904 bushed roller lifters through Bill Cerillo (Big Speed on DRR) in Patterson, New Jersey and had them drop shipped (from LA) to me.

I poured Lucas Semi-Synthetic Assembly Lube into a 5 X 8 X 2 inch deep aluminum pie pan then submerged the lifters in the lube and let then sit there and soak over night.

The two take-aways from this is that Dart did the machine work (it was dead-on with a zero) and the assembly process, particularly the lifter pre-assembly process using Lucas Semi-Synthetic Assembly Lube.

I was cautioned that using heavy weight assembly lube can create a challenge with the lube penetrating the area surrounding the lifter bushings.

Just a suggestion.

Bob

Posts: 3082 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
The best thing anyone can do is a lash check and valve spring and rocker check and do it often...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
The best thing anyone can do is a lash check and valve spring and rocker check and do it often...

Completely agree. They’re free to work on and expensive to fix. And to me that kind of job is fun, it’s not hard work. Just put some tunes on and go, only problem is the wife tells me to turn it down Big Grin

I’m usually looking every 15 runs or so. And I run my fingers in the corners of the heads, flakes of stuff will accumulate there.

Posts: 714 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Mine is a different animal but I try and check lash hot after every pass, rarely make any adjustment but looking for anything out of the ordinary. Twice last season I found a extra .008 clearance on an intake valve, once on #7 and once on #8 both the last valve on the stand. What I found was the bolt that screws into the head on the stand had loosened causing the stand to lift off the head.
If I wasn't checking lash like I do it surely would of ripped the bolt out of the head causing a bunch of damage to both the head and valve train costing me a bunch of money

Posts: 2426 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
quote:
Heck IDK what you call it but it’s a .937 that does not have needles or a bushing....really don’t understand how it works but it does...

Same thing we're running in both our engines now. Oakley and Huntsville. Yes we paid for them as we felt they we're upgrades to our program Wink

SL...

Posts: 2104 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I experienced the same thing that Steve did, the base plate hardware was loose due to either thermal heating and/or cycles so the lash increased. Everything in the valve train system is under greater stress. Higher lift cams, faster ramps and much greater valse spring pressures will result in more failures if not attended too, it's the nature of the beast.

The caboose to this train of thought is:

Check the valve lash HOT and more frequently. As someone else said it's an inexpensive process, a failure isn't.

Bob

Posts: 3082 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
Thanks again everyone for the continued info and mainly staying on topic lol. Im going to take a look at the BAM lifters since rebuilding the ones I have will cost just as much almost as new ones.

Probably also going to make a cam change and see if I can get this 582 a little stronger.

Posts: 608 | Location: Da Swamp!!!! | Registered: October 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
I experienced the same thing that Steve did, the base plate hardware was loose due to either thermal heating and/or cycles so the lash increased. Everything in the valve train system is under greater stress. Higher lift cams, faster ramps and much greater valse spring pressures will result in more failures if not attended too, it's the nature of the beast.

The caboose to this train of thought is:

Check the valve lash HOT and more frequently. As someone else said it's an inexpensive process, a failure isn't.

Bob

I had one of the bolts for my one piece intake rocker stand loosen last year. I did a burnout and had a tapping noise after the burnout so I shut it off and towed it back. I checked the lash hot and everything was fine because the other bolts held the stand down when the valves were closed. I found the problem when I bumped the engine over while watching the rockers. Pretty amazing how all that spring pressure can flex the hardened steel stand with no trouble. Luckily the threads were fine, just had to retorque. Now the rocker stands get checked a couple times per season too.

Is there a reason you check it hot Bob? I did it hot at first but learned that the cold setting is .004 tighter on our stuff so I check it cold .004 tighter. Less mess and less heat.

Posts: 714 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I initially set the valve lash at home while cold but check it while at the track (hot). As you said the lash for both the intake and exhaust is tighter while cold. In my case a Dart Big "M" BBC iron block with a set of CFE heads is:

Intake Cold is .018
Intake Hot is .022

Exhaust Cold is .021
Exhaust Hot is .026

I don't "Live" under the valve covers but always make a spring check and set the lash before making a run. There is plenty of time to do this so why not? If it's a two (or more) day event and I've made a few runs I check them each night.

Bob

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:

Yes Indeed. Weak or broken valve springs will cause a slamming effect of the needle bearings on the back side of the cam lobe. Gotta stay on top of spring pressure.

Posts: 10 | Location: Tallahassee, Fla. | Registered: January 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Isky EZROLLMAX or EZROLLHELIX. Helix was their latest and greatest about 2 years ago. I have experience with both, no issues with either.

I've had trouble with Crower bushing lifters in bracket cam setups, BBC standard diameter, two separate occasions, I will not run them ever again.

Posts: 373 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post