DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Powerglide drag in reverse
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powerglide drag in reverse
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
Ok in the interest of getting my son some seat time before the end of the season, we grabbed the trans out of my car, since it's sitting with a broken rod that we haven't gotten to tearing apart.

Only thing we changed is converter.
All detents are perfect aligned with the shift cable.
Park, low gear, high gear and neutral are fine. Trans brake works fine and launches the car as it should.
But put it in reverse, and hit the button, the tires quiver like it went into gear, but the tires won't move. On the stand I can't even push them backwards. Turn the engine off, and the tires rotate backwards fine. No brake drag or anything.
It will go backwards if you give it a bunch of throttle, but stops immediately if if you let off the throttle.
This damn thing came out of my car working fine the round before.
Then an odd thing, his finger slipped off the button as we were backing it up to put on the trailer, and he kinda double hit it. Suddenly it backs up as it should with no drag.
At this point I'm convinced someone is messin with me. LOL. What could this be?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6396 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Did the motor lock up for an instant ( look at data recorders) when the motor broke? I’ve see this take out the trans and converter.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Make a jumper wire from the pan bolt you have the solenoid grounded, to the ground post on the battery.

Check the pressure at the reverse tap with, and without the jumper.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
Did the motor lock up for an instant ( look at data recorders) when the motor broke? I’ve see this take out the trans and converter.

Well I don't see it, but it could have. But mostly the trans works.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6396 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
Make a jumper wire from the pan bolt you have the solenoid grounded, to the ground post on the battery.

Would this be any different than simply making sure the plunnger is going flush with the solenoid body? By eye, it seems to pull in fine.
It's plausible though. The double hit then working was telling in that way. I always ground to the battery....except in his car which already had a chassis post right there. So.....well maybe.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
planetary from broken motor ??????

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1408 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Servo pressures/Reverse pressure? May be a cracked reverse pressure plate. long shot.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Torn gasket in the valve body?

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

Would this be any different than simply making sure the plunnger is going flush with the solenoid body? By eye, it seems to pull in fine.
It's plausible though. The double hit then working was telling in that way. I always ground to the battery....except in his car which already had a chassis post right there. So.....well maybe.

Bingo!

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Is the line lock hooked up to come on with the trans brake also. I have a car that does the exact same thing. When he came off the button he probably was not on the brake pedal and released the pressure.

Posts: 2 | Location: spfld,il usa | Registered: November 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scblback:
Is the line lock hooked up to come on with the trans brake also. I have a car that does the exact same thing. When he came off the button he probably was not on the brake pedal and released the pressure.

Ummm.
Man as stupid as this is, I think you just made me think of what it is. I didn't rewire this car, and it indeed has a line lock. I would be willing to bet anything that this is where the problem lies. I have never had a line lock in a dragster and never gave it a thought.
Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo