DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Throttle linkage and pedal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Throttle linkage and pedal
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted
70 Nova with BBC and 4500 carb. The stock linkage/pedal isn't working flawlessly anymore and I'm reading to bite the bullet. Who makes a quality setup that's fairly easy to install with the engine/trans in place.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
https://www.smithracecraft.com...-firebird-68-74-nova

Great set-up !!!! The only downside is you have to cut an opening in the cowl for the carb rod. If your car sits outside that may be a problem . They also sell a direct replacement set-up that looks nice, but I've never used that ............

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I went with a joes pedal and morse cable

Configuration: 3350#, 582 C.I.,

60 - 1.24
1/8 - 5.53@ 126MPH
1/4 - 8.73@ 159MPH

3700#+210lb driver, FULL interior, through mufflers, 10.5 tire.
60'-1.333 (IN 4000ft DA! Joisy Math excluded; 1.25sec using JOISY MATH.) Wink
1/4 - 9.60@144MPH

Posts: 1440 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
We use the Smith Racecraft stock pedal replacement with the toe hook in our 69 Camaro with a BBC and a tunnel ram base. It was installed with the motor in place in like 20 minutes. Its a real nice piece.

https://www.smithracecraft.com...eplacement-gas-pedal

1.34 9.42@ 142.41 1.29 5.97 @ 114.00 @ #3251 Better in 2022
427 BBC by S&S Speed Center, AFD, Enderle MFI by Spud Miller
Trackside Products, Sepanek Racing T400, Dynamic converter, Autoweld, Santhuff, Smith Racecraft,
His real name is Richard but they call it "**** Fords Body Shop"

Posts: 105 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: January 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
If you want cheap and easy go to a junk yard and unbolt a pedal assy from a GM RWD car like a Malibu or Monte Carlo. Throw the plastic pedal away and weld a flat piece of steel for a pedal. Weld a 1/4 bolt to the end of the rod where the cable hooked. Cut a hole for the rod and buy a throttle rod from Summit with adjustable ends that look like little heim joints. One end slips over the bolt you welded on and install nylock nuy. Other end use a bolt to attach to carb.

Posts: 1461 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I use Lokar pedal and cable. Never been disappointed in any of their stuff

Posts: 297 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by qtrrcr:
I use Lokar pedal and cable. Never been disappointed in any of their stuff

I've tried their stuff 2 times in two separate cars. Never can get full throttle with return springs and carb linkage springs.

That is why I went with Morse cable. Push and pull capable, no stretch, and much better feel.

Posts: 1440 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 69427:
We use the Smith Racecraft stock pedal replacement with the toe hook in our 69 Camaro with a BBC and a tunnel ram base. It was installed with the motor in place in like 20 minutes. Its a real nice piece.

That's the one. Peddle

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
That's the one. Peddle

Pedal

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3158 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
The Smith Racecraft stuff looks good but I'd rather not cut a big slot in the firewall. Maybe their pedal assembly with a Morse cable would work. The Lokar pedal looks good to if I get a pull back welded on and use a Morse cable. Joe's pedal looks good too but I'm not sure how I'd hook a cable to it. Thanks for the replies.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't want a hole with a rod coming through my factory 69 Nova SS firewall either.

Open 69427 link

Affirmative Tony - Pedal

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I've tried their stuff 2 times in two separate cars. Never can get full throttle with return springs and carb linkage springs.[/quote]

ski-dwn-it, your right. I had the same problem when i first started using Lokar, until I realized that I was using too long of a cable and it was flexing and couldnt get full throttle. I ordered a shorter cable and that took care of my problem.

Posts: 297 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
No hole necessary with the stock replacement from Smith. It uses the factory hole and mounting holes. 15-20 minutes to install.

Posts: 105 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: January 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
I run one of smith pedals also. Exactly as stated, mounts to the factory pedal hole. Installation is easy. I can shoot some pics of it in my car if you would like.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
Here are the pictures

Pic 1
Pic2
Pic 3

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill. I'm probably gonna get the Smith setup like yours and 69427. Did you install it with the engine/trans in the car?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ron Gusack,

DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
It's been a while since I installed mine, bit I am pretty sure I installed it with the engine trans. Hardest part is just getting to the two bolts that hold it in.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
I see now that the pedal comes off before sliding the piece through the firewall, I missed that before.