DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    S10 manual steering conversion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S10 manual steering conversion
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I have a 1993 S10 Frame and I am looking to convert to manual steering. The original boxes are not available and I hear the Borgenson 525 will work. But I am having a hard time finding a pitman arm Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks

Posts: 22 | Location: chicago | Registered: July 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Check with FJ SMITH

Posts: 1257 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thank you. Just checked there website. Calling them in the morning

Posts: 22 | Location: chicago | Registered: July 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
Rockauto
http://tinyurl.com/yy4j7dbq

Autozone
https://www.autozone.com/suspe...-steering/625105_0_0

Late model pitman arms should all fit onto these late model manual boxes.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1352 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yeah I have tried all them and they show them on the websites but you cannot get them. Thanks

DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
One more
https://www.oreillyauto.com/de.../chevrolet/s10?pos=1

Have you tried checking your local parts store?

Posts: 1352 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yeah they list it online also and you call them and they say they cannot get on. I called them yesterday. Thanks

DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
There's always ebay and your local junkyard.

You're looking for a late model S10 manual steering box with the 4 bolt top cover. They came in S10's that had the 2.5L 4 cylinder engines but not all S10's with the 2.5L had manual steering.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
The manual gearbox from the 1st gen S-10's will work too.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yes that is what I am looking for. Not easy to find. I know a Borgenson 525 box will work but I don’t know what pitman arm it takes and I call Borgenson and they dont know all they can tell me is what spline count and shaft diameter is of there box

DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
The early 3 bolt top cover box (usually called a Monza box) has a smaller diameter sector and input shaft. The late model 4 bolt top cover boxes are direct bolt in for late model vehicles. Pitman arm from your vehicle off your power box will bolt right on. The coupler on your steering shaft will also bolt right on.

As for the aftermarket boxes, you'll need to do a lot more research to determine if they'll be a direct bolt in or not.

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi
How many you want? Search this site plenty listed.

Posts: 1453 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AlkyIROC:
The early 3 bolt top cover box (usually called a Monza box) has a smaller diameter sector and input shaft. The late model 4 bolt top cover boxes are direct bolt in for late model vehicles. Pitman arm from your vehicle off your power box will bolt right on. The coupler on your steering shaft will also bolt right on.

As for the aftermarket boxes, you'll need to do a lot more research to determine if they'll be a direct bolt in or not.

So the Monza box early s10 and pitman arm will work? Just the sector shaft is a different size. I am running an after market colum anyway. Are they the same ratio do you know

DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
To my knowledge, the late model pitman arm will not fit onto the early box either. If it does fit, it may be indexed differently.

Technically, if you find an early box with a pitman arm already on it, you can probably bolt it right in then do whatever conversion is required for the steering shaft. That is providing the early box pitman arm is the same style as a late model one with a hole at the end instead of a ball socket.

Pitman arms are not all the same but small differences don't make big changes. I wouldn't want to swap a straight pitman arm with one that has a drop to it etc but depending on the vehicle, it may make no difference at all. Different lengths, as long as they are close, will only change the turning radius which isn't a big issue for a drag car.

I know a lot of third gen f-body racers who simply bolt in an S10 box with the S10 pitman arm and have no problems. The CTC is only off about 1/2 - 3/4 inch between the two arms.

Early steering boxes use a 5/8" input shaft. Late model boxes use a 3/4" input shaft.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

DRR Trophy
Picture of mac
posted Hide Post
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all56356
quote:
Originally posted by ollies69:
I have a 1993 S10 Frame and I am looking to convert to manual steering. The original boxes are not available and I hear the Borgenson 525 will work. But I am having a hard time finding a pitman arm Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks

Posts: 7 | Location: burgh | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post