New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grid Question
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I am building a new car for this year and i am not sure which way to go with the ignition system. I have always ran the digital 7s in the past and never had any issues and was wondering if the grid was as user friendly as the 7s were. i am told that the 7s are not supported by MSD anymore but i have a very good one just sitting in my trailer but i don't want to put it in a new car if the grid is so much better but one thing that is making me nervous is you see a lot of grid's for sale on racing junk and different sites also i have a couple of friends that use them and they shift on time because the RPM mode is burned out of their units in a short amount of time.

So some of you guy's that use them could jump in and give me some sense of direction that would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Posts: 33 | Location: waverly tn | Registered: February 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
I have been running a Grid ever since they came out. For me it works, not because of all the features, but because the ones I use are spot on. It has way more features than an average bracket racer will ever use, but it is cheaper than a Race Pack and you do get good data from the Grid. RPM, Shift Points, Timing, Launch, O2 if you have it and you can monitor any 12 volt event. I always monitor my shift time because I shift with the box on time not the Grid. I did try the Grid for shifting, but for me it wasn’t consistent. I also have MSD 7751 Manual Launch controller which let’s me change launch RPM’s without hooking up the computer. I only use about 20% of the functionally but I wouldn’t go back to having no data.

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Go grid.. You won't be sorry. Once you know it for bracket racing it should be illegal. Smile.

Lots of fun nifty things a creative mind can do with it. And not be breaking any rules but creating illusions for your opponent.

Configuration: 3350#, 582 C.I.,

60 - 1.24
1/8 - 5.53@ 126MPH
1/4 - 8.73@ 159MPH

3700#+210lb driver, FULL interior, through mufflers, 10.5 tire.
60'-1.333 (IN 4000ft DA! Joisy Math excluded; 1.25sec using JOISY MATH.) Wink
1/4 - 9.60@144MPH

Posts: 1442 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Are they user friendly? All i plan to do is bracket race so i am pretty sure that i will not use all it's features.

Quick Dawg, are you saying that you don't recommend using the grid to shift with or did i misread that?

Posts: 33 | Location: waverly tn | Registered: February 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
You already know how to use MSD GraphView 3.19 software for Digital 7, so I suggest you go HERE to learn how to download MSD View Software, install on your computer and take a free test drive if you have not already done so.

If the features in Digital 7 are all you need then I’d suggest using it if you want to save money.

If you decide to Go Grid, I suggest only purchasing new. This way you have a full 1 year warranty from MSD if something should fail.

Some of the failure that I’ve experienced and seen with Grid has been self-inflicted. And generally if Grid 7730 / 7720 last through the warranty period they will continue to work properly for many years.

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
You already know how to use MSD GraphView 3.19 software for Digital 7, so I suggest you go HERE to learn how to download MSD View Software, install on your computer and take a free test drive if you have not already done so.

If the features in Digital 7 are all you need then I’d suggest using it if you want to save money.

If you decide to Go Grid, I suggest only purchasing new. This way you have a full 1 year warranty from MSD if something should fail.

Some of the failure that I’ve experienced and seen with Grid has been self-inflicted. And generally if Grid 7730 / 7720 last through the warranty period they will continue to work properly for many years.

Mark. do you have any idea why these functions of the grid fail? could it be because they are not being ran through a relay board or is that just stuff that happens?

I have never shifted on time always RPM but some of my friends are using time and they think time shifting is better.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copper head:
Mark. do you have any idea why these functions of the grid fail? could it be because they are not being ran through a relay board or is that just stuff that happens?

I have never shifted on time always RPM but some of my friends are using time and they think time shifting is better.

Some have used Grid to activate relays that exceed 2 amps of current when energized. What is worse, is that the relays are not wired with a diode across the coil to prevent flyback voltage from damaging the Shift (Yellow wire) and Output Switch (Brown/White wire).

When Grid is used with a relay board to activate a relay, the board generally has the flyback diode and possibly a resistor on the board for this protection.

Whenever I wire a relay to Grid output, I always confirm it is less than 2 amps and I always use a diode to protect from excessive flyback voltage.

Others will say that no diode is needed as long as under 2 amps and they have success using this method.

Whether you shift using RPM or Time with Grid is your choice. I will say this. It is my experience that when using the Distributor output to trigger the ignition, the RPM display will not be as smooth as if using a crank trigger. Because of this, if your engine rpm is accelerating at a slower rate (taller gearing) the activation of an output using RPM with a Distributor will not be as accurate as if you were using a crank trigger…. Guaranteed!

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
For me using the Grid to shift with wasn't ideal. I had an RPM Digital Delay shifter on the car when I installed the grid. I have since gone to shifting on time with my box. I have a switch that lets me switch between shifting on time and via RPMs. Both the K&R box and Digital Delay let me change shift points from inside the car in case I want to in the lanes. You have to hook up the computer to do that if shifting via the Grid.

My Grid wasn't consistent when using it to shift. Both the K&R and the Digital Delay will only vary 50 RPM's at the shift. I got a much larger spread when using the Grid. Of course MSD blamed my car, but it wasn't. Your results may vary, because I know a few guys that shift with the Grid and it works for them.

Even if you don't use all the features of the Grid I do believe it is the best system on the market today. Many times on a bad track I have used the retard feature on launch to make my car more consistent. It works. On good tracks, I don't use it. The learning curve isn't bad. Mark has written some very good instructions. Much better than MSD.

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have been using a Grid for the past few years and use it for a number of functions except for shifting, it's easier to use the Digital Delay Mega 450. While the Mega 450 also controls the throttle stop and trans brake delay functions the Grid does everything else.

I rely on the Grid data acquisition for feedback information, it interesting what you can discover about a run with the Grid. I intend on expanding that capability this season by adding a canbus connector and a few legal options. A RacePak unfortunately is beyond my financial ability but expanding the Grid functions is not.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks guy's, This car will have the data max logging system on it because that's what i am use to and i think for now that i will put the digital 7 in there because i am very comfortable using it and maybe later on if i see some things that i don't like i can switch to the grid.I have heard a few horror stories about the grid and i am pretty sure not all of them are true.I will only be using this as a bracket deal and really would like to keep it as simple as possible.