DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Aluminum radiator corrosion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aluminum radiator corrosion
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of novaX522
posted
Is there any additive to keep radiator from getting corrosion when you run water in it?

Rob Livingston

Posts: 176 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Water wetter. Available almost everywhere.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2322 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
ground the radiator,electrolysis

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1389 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Water soluble oil. Used in milling machine in the shop. Turns the water the color of milk. About one to two ounces mix it Ruth water prior to filling cooling system. No rust and corrosion and with keep the pump seal lubed also. Don’t worry about spilling at the track it cleans up easy with towels and if needed alcohol or thinner.

Posts: 485 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wooley:
Water soluble oil. Used in milling machine in the shop. Turns the water the color of milk. About one to two ounces mix it Ruth water prior to filling cooling system. No rust and corrosion and with keep the pump seal lubed also. Don’t worry about spilling at the track it cleans up easy with towels and if needed alcohol or thinner.
this. I started doing this a few years ago, my stuff comes apart looking brand new now.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of novaX522
posted Hide Post
https://www.mcmaster.com/water...ntainer-type~bottle/

Would this stuff work?

Rob Livingston

Posts: 176 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of novaX522
posted Hide Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/Sta-Lub...Gallon/dp/B000MCZI12

Buy the gallon and then pour some up in another bottle and ship it to me free. I'll be very thankful. LOL Big Grin

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5296 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 485 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of novaX522
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info!

Rob Livingston

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I’ve used this for over 5 years now and water comes out looking the exact same as when it went in.
Lucas Super Coolant

Posts: 2427 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
quote:
lon and then pour some up in another bottle and

@Rob - have you solved your issue? I had electrolysis in my S10 radiator after we first built it. Thought I had it resolved, but it came back after going from a 55a ECAE alternator to a 120a ECAE alternator.

Someone we both know told me it is almost impossible to solve easily, and a little bit of antifreeze goes a long way.

Information on the web is truly frustrating as the radiator companies and the water wetter companies ALL contradict each other on what to use and not use....

CD

Posts: 120 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I've been running an aluminum radiator in my cars with straight tap water since the early 2000s without issue or corrosion to any concern.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Based on what I have seen, certain alloys are more sensitive to corrosion than others. I have seen heads and motor plates take a decent hit here over time but rad's seam OK for the most part. I have used a water pump lube/anti corrosion additive and recently water wetter.

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I use Cummins DCA4 additive in everything i own.
Including the cars.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
I use this, more for peace of mind than anything else.

Lucas Oil additive

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post