DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Alternator Issue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alternator Issue
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of 6Volt
posted
I have an East Coast Auto Electric One Wire Alternator that came off of my dragster I just sold that I want to put on my door car. On the dragster I had zero issues with it, but for some reason on this door car I have a problem. Every time I connect the cable to the alternator and fire the car up, you can't rev above around 2000 rpm, sounds like its on a rev limiter. Disconnect the cable no problem runs just fine. I'm using 8ga wire run all the way back to the battery side of the master disconnect switch. I even tried a ground strap from the chassis to the alternator housing, still runs like hell. Anybody else have a clue?

Cody Harger
Charger Racing

Posts: 22 | Location: West Monroe, LA | Registered: January 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
Is the alternator wire run with other wires? Pickup/Coil, etc or is it completely separate? I would call ECAE today and speak to them, they have more experience but to me the only reason it would do this was noise on the lines from the output of the Alt. It may not be operating correctly and the reason for the noise.

302-786-1078
slickvic@slickvicracing.com

slickvic@slickvicracing.com
www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 6Volt
posted Hide Post
The alternator wire runs completely seperate from all other wires, so i wouldn’t think noise would bw and issue. It definitely wasn’t and issue on my dragster where the wires did all run together.

Cody Harger
Charger Racing

Posts: 22 | Location: West Monroe, LA | Registered: January 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
Cody,
Does the alternator spin freely when disconnected? I too would think its noise related causing a malfunction in the ignition system which you sound to be well aware of. Usually the exciting point on these is what 1200-1500 rpm? so at or above that point is where the issue arises? I would say try another one if someone you know has one. might be quicker to narrow down then.

Ryan Fasano

2014 Byron Overall Track Champion
Byron's actual elevation is 730' because that matters more than winning anything ever....

Posts: 535 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: January 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Just a FYI....

I had a machine last year that would not work properly and the issue was simply a spark plug!

A std plug was installed in the machine instead of a Resistor plug....

That was not the first time for issues from RF noise...

As we all know resistor or carbon core wires became a must have once electronics arrived in race cars.

An alternator makes AC voltage and is internally rectified and regulated to DC for it's output...

I personally never saw an alternator or a tach ever cause a misfire condition....

I'd be thinking the alternator has a diode issue in the diode based rectifier.....and is causing an RF on the DC output....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:

I'd be thinking the alternator has a diode issue in the diode based rectifier.....and is causing an RF on the DC output....

First thing I thought too was a bad diode

Ken

Posts: 319 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I would agree with the other helpful ones thinking bad diode which would allow some a/c voltage into your wiring which the ignition box is seeing as noise and it is interfering with it working properly. A filter at the ignition box may help but obviously if alternator is bad you want that fixed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Moderate Joe,

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I’m gonna help him now, Cody your problem is not in the torque converter

Posts: 13 | Location: Middle Lane | Registered: February 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 235582:
I’m gonna help him now, Cody your problem is not in the torque converter
X-2

Posts: 1708 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Back to the topic of this thread.

I'm no electronics expert, but if the alternator is not putting out pure DC it will cause issues with electronics. Seen it on several cars that have come to my shop over the years. It's not very common, but it can and does happen.

What ignition did the dragster have and what does the door car have?

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6Volt:
I have an East Coast Auto Electric One Wire Alternator that came off of my dragster I just sold that I want to put on my door car. On the dragster I had zero issues with it, but for some reason on this door car I have a problem. Every time I connect the cable to the alternator and fire the car up, you can't rev above around 2000 rpm, sounds like its on a rev limiter. Disconnect the cable no problem runs just fine. I'm using 8ga wire run all the way back to the battery side of the master disconnect switch. I even tried a ground strap from the chassis to the alternator housing, still runs like hell. Anybody else have a clue?

I would try to find another alternator just to test with and that should quickly tell you if it is an alternator problem or wiring issue.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
In addition to the possible had diodes, worn out brushes can cause electrical noise also. They get too worn the springs can't keep them tight to the slip rings on armature you will get static like crazy.

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Thank you clapping

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
clapping

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I've never done it but you might learn something by hooking up an Oscilloscope to the B+ post off the alternator.

Every Miller Welder service manual includes waveform patterns you should see if a machine is working normally.

I have been to Miller HQ's in Appleton Wisconsin......and they test every machine that goes out the door.

The more high tech the machine the more parameters they test. And many are far more complicated now.

I am sure today it is more computerized compared to when I was there......

The post about brushes arcing and creating static is a good one.....True....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post