DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Radiator Cap pressure when cold
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Radiator Cap pressure when cold
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted
A friend of mine has started having an issue of the coolant system still having pressure the day after racing. Dragster 582 BBC. No water in overflow. Titan Head Gaskets.

Posts: 185 | Location: Hagerstown | Registered: September 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
Is it just air that comes out or do you get coolant/water also?

302-786-1078
slickvic@slickvicracing.com

www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted Hide Post
Water came out as well.

Posts: 185 | Location: Hagerstown | Registered: September 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The only way I can see that happening is with a leaky head gasket. I would remove rad cap and put air down each cylinder to try finding a leak.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted Hide Post
Yep. We pulled the head off It was leaking on the edge of #1 cylinder.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
Still doesn't make sense why its not putting water in the over flow. Cap might need replacing. I had a gasket issue, it would push water out and next week I would take the cap off and just get air pressure release. Drain the over flow and pour it back in and go race for the day.

302-786-1078

www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
It is likley a chemical reaction in the coolant system. Have him completely drain the system and flush. Is he using anything other then water in his coolant system?

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 240 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
My buddies SBC builds does this too. Take the cap off and make a mess. Re-install the cap and let it sit overnight. Take the cap off the next day and make another mess. It just builds pressure on it's own.

We put a radiator pressure tester on it and it made close to 3 lbs overnight.

He uses straight H2O and some kind of water wetter product to lubricate the pump.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 741 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
I have found customers have best luck with Redline Water Wetter with distilled water or regular tap water.

Water Wetter instructions: "The anti-scaling ingredients in Red Line WaterWetter® allow its use with ordinary tap water. However, using withdistilled or deionized water will accomplish some scale removal in the cylinder head area."

Meziere Tech.

Posts: 240 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
Another thing often over looked is grounding the radiator. If your radiator is on rubber isolators you should run a chassis ground strap to it.

Meziere Tech.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
Changes in barometric pressure or altitude from when the cap is closed and when it's opened? ;^)

Posts: 343 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Check your coolant voltage. Positive probe of your DVOM in the coolant, negative on the chassis ground. If you have more than about 0.8v, first change the coolant and see if that helps (it does wear out) and if not, ground the radiator. If it's under 0.4v, you're in good shape.

That's the way the OEM has told us to do it at work, on tractors. Some guys order aftermarket radiators and they sometimes mount differently, and occasionally will need a chassis ground strap of some sort.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post