DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    2005 Duramax pushing water out the overflow
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2005 Duramax pushing water out the overflow
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by banjo:
Coolant hoses were cool to the touch but rock hard.

Thanks
Hoses cool to the touch means the water is not flowing....As mentioned earlier in post,check your thermostat..

Posts: 262 | Location: Fayetteville | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
The truck had been running for less than 10 minutes, which why it was still cold. But I will check them just to make sure.

Got a couple of offers for $4k for my truck as is. Still debating on what I want to do.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Diesels kinda concern me ownership wise. My tractor and motorhome are. Tractor is pretty straight forward for repairs. Motorhome if you dust a cylinder it's about a total if it has any age to it. Which means you are out any value you have in it. I have avoided getting a diesel truck since I have just heard too many of these stories. One of my employees has a Dodge that is probably worth less than $5k. It needled him out of about $6k total last year. They sure pull nicely, but a gasser gets everything I need it to do, done.

I could not agree more. Headaches are expensive.
Oh the financial abuse. Good money after bad.
Still have my 89 F350 with a Banks unit on it.

I have a couple friends with the older ones with the head gaskets issues. Sent them down the road. They slept better too.. Out of sight, out of mind lol. Bad enough with The big ones here.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
Well I got a update,

I fired the truck and ran it for a bit, when I shut it down, I could hear a noise that turned out to be pressure getting past the cap.

I went and got a new cap, along with one of those testers.

Fluid start out looking like this,

Ended up looking the same.

So I filled up the cooling system, bleed it and drove it. It took a while to warm up and then it finally jumped up and stabilized. No more pushing fluid out.

I plan on flushing the system this weekend, put some new thermostats in it and drive it like I stoled it and see what happens.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
I’ll give $4100 for it... Wink

Glad you got it sorted out.

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Most combustion leak detectors change color when carbon monoxide is present. Carbon monoxide is not a by product of diesel combustion.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most combustion leak detectors change color when carbon monoxide is present. Carbon monoxide is not a by product of diesel combustion.

I'm not prepared to argue the chemistry, nor do I care to, however the item I referenced states: "Works with virtually any liquid-cooled internal combustion engine or generator with a closed cooling system including: gasoline, diesel, propane, natural gas and other alternative fuels." But maybe it's not like most, again, I'm not knowledgeable enough to debate the subject. Just repeating their sales pitch.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
The fluid that I got was made specifically made for diesel engines.

The first fluid they brought specifically stated on the bottle, not for uses with diesel engines.

Fluid

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woody B:

According to the internet diesels do produce carbon monoxide.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
The fluid in the testers was always blue in the ones I used going back many years.

Gasoline burning engines

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Take the cap off to let pressure out , Put cap on and crank up and let run for 60 seconds , turn off engine and remove cap slowly and see if you can hear any pressure coming out. It should not make any with the short run time.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen quite a few caps fail and do exactly what Banjo said. I certainly hope it’s ok. Service the system and drive the he’ll out of it.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4505 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Banjo you need that little pinch clamp put back on that little hose. As it heats up air will seep around it. Also your heater core could be plugged up. After it reaches max normal temp. and turned off feel the radiator with your hand, feel to see if it is cold anywhere.I shoot everything with a heat gun looking for big differences Has someone ever put block or head sealer in there. It will clog everything up. Usually plugs the T.stat 1st. I am not convinced it is head related since you tested the pressure. Good luck.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by banjo:
The fluid that I got was made specifically made for diesel engines.

The first fluid they brought specifically stated on the bottle, not for uses with diesel engines.

Fluid

You should be in good shape then.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post