DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    PG Pump Pressure Increase
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PG Pump Pressure Increase
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted
So for minimum bucks, what can you do to a powerglide pump to increase the pressure that it is producing?

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You can shim a spring somewhere, I'm sure someone will chime in where exactly. As I know very little about building a PG.

Posts: 604 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Change the boost pressure regulator spring in the VB. Different colors, different pressures. Pretty simple.Whats the pressure now checking at the servo? 180? Pending no leaks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted December 01, 2018 01:18 PM Hide Post
Change the boost pressure regulator spring in the VB. Different colors, different pressures. Pretty simple.Whats the pressure now? 180? Spring is about $9-$12

dont know your hp but dont go too high unless needed .220 is enough most time.275 for 2000 plus.a high volume pump is a really good upgrade

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
New unit going together.

I have a TSI Pro Brake VB - no idea of what the pressure will end up being yet.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
if you can swing it get a high volume pump

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Call TS and see what spring is in there so you know.I have the Tci Pb. I put the white spring in it and all is well @ 225 . No need to go higher.I run the Promod pump and shaft with a 10 drum. I'm sure TS will tell you what they put in there

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If this is a stock case PG, be mindful of the case. They are weak at the reverse piston area. With lots of line pressure and a cold transmission, throwing it into reverse gear with cold fluid and high pressure can break the case. Also, the higher the pressure, the more drag there is on the engine, but that's usually splitting hairs for many of us.

The book tells all about it-and thus far, it's been quite accurate, in my "experience".

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
MOST trans specialties valve bodies come with the purple spring, which is 225 psi (ish) the white spring is the 275 psi. Unless you are making NORTH of 1500 hp, stay with the purple. Absolutely no reason to run more pressure. If the valvebody has more than 2 seasons on it, then its time for a new one.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 701 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
If the valvebody has more than 2 seasons on it, then its time for a new one.

Why do you say that?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3966 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
If the valvebody has more than 2 seasons on it, then its time for a new one.

Why do you say that?

Because they wear out. That spring isn't made of any special kind of metal. That spring is 10 bucks through Trans Specialties.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 701 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Not sure but I think Curly might have take comment as I did at first reading. The valvebody needed to be replaced. Spring replaced makes lot more sense. Good tip.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Always a good practice, for what little it takes, check servo pressure a couple of times during the season. Sonnax produces a boost valve assmy of which is a 0.489 valve. Better sealing capabilities. This where you have sleeve wear within the valve itself. Same port on the VB as the spring location. Spring and valve considered a wear item. Due to constant oscillation.
Sonnax # 28999-01K

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Spring and valve considered a wear item. Due to constant oscillation.
Sonnax # 28999-01K

Added to my list. I have no idea of how many laps this VB has been through so makes sense to freshen the valve and spring.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
If you do not have one, a 300 psi mechanical guage and a 6' hose is a good tool to have to check the health of your transmission. I like to check them new, in the car, and then keep an eye on it. 225 psi is plenty for almost all true bracket racers. I have a 4.50 car and only run that pressure. Pressure DOES affect converter characteristics, so be mindful of that. More pressure makes the converter more aggressive in the way that it clamps engine. Also, this pressure recommendation is for Glides only.

Jeremiah Hall

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Might also check your pressure regulator valve for wear and if you are looking to increase pressure make sure you have the large diameter boost valve.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3303 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post