DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Super Stock Heads
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Super Stock Heads
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of SpeierRacingHeads
posted
Hey guys, wanted to show you something. I know some of you old school guys will appreciate them! This is a set of NHRA legal Super Stock heads. The rules state, 172cc, 63cc chamber, and 64cc exhaust. They come out of the box 185cc, 64 chamber, 85cc exhaust. The exhaust is raised and welded to the lower bolt holes. I have 55 hours in them. This set moves lots of air. Rules say with an aftermarket legal head, you need to be 50lbs heavier.

This set is going to Canada for FJ Smith. This is the fourth set I have done for him.

I hurt my hand and have a easy day and wanted to share. Any questions.. Ask!

Posts: 1405 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Super Stock legal eh?
My uncle had a set of those that came on his 68 Nova, who knew?

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1654 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
And I'm just over here hoarding unmolested cast iron heads thinking they'd be valuable to a Stock or S/S racer some day.... Roll Eyes Frown

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1654 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Just curious, is that Devcon material or something more space age?

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
NHRA legalized Dart and World, RHS iron. Also Edelbrock aluminum. Must have the NHRA logo on these and specific part numbers.

As much work in them, they would be crazy to use OEM stuff nowdays.

That is Z-Spar or splash zone epoxy, coated with Devcon 2-ton clear sealer.

Posts: 1405 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
So, off topic, 20 years ago I bought a pair of Bowtie Phase 6 heads, just put them on a new build.
It's disappointing, so far.

Would you say that they may be pieces of crap, as in 65+ HP less than a very comparable build using box Track 1's, or very mildly worked Pontiac 867 Standard port heads?

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
So, off topic, 20 years ago I bought a pair of Bowtie Phase 6 heads, just put them on a new build.
It's disappointing, so far.

Would you say that they may be pieces of crap, as in 65+ HP less than a very comparable build using box Track 1's, or very mildly worked Pontiac 867 Standard port heads?

I would bet they are 30cfm down from either two you mentioned. They weren't much of a raised runner. They were tight, and didn't last very long before GM pulled the plug.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Very cool!

Posts: 1625 | Location: UsA | Registered: October 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work Chad ! That burr finish is really neat, to me.

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Chad thanks for posting pics.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
quote:
And I'm just over here hoarding unmolested cast iron heads thinking they'd be valuable to a Stock or S/S racer some day.... Roll Eyes Frown

I been saving 990 heads for nothing. Make door stops now I guess

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1219 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
worthless junk

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hotrod Corvette:
quote:

Burt, If they are untouched some steel SS and S guys can use them.

And after all, it depends on your budget. If they work for you then good!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4497 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Hotrod Corvette:
quote:
And I'm just over here hoarding unmolested cast iron heads thinking they'd be valuable to a Stock or S/S racer some day....

Burt, If they are untouched some steel SS and S guys can use them.

Nothing wrong with 990's Razz I just made nearly 750hp with stock 990's on a budget build 496. I was shocked !!!

Nice work Chad !!!

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by HS professor:

Nothing wrong with 990's Razz I just made nearly 750hp with stock 990's on a budget build 496. I was shocked !!!

QUOTE]

Pick one up and hold it for 5 minutes! That's what's wrong with them... Big Grin

Posts: 2156 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bob, you’re a unicorn, no one wants a 454/462/468 no mind heavy cast iron heads no mind rectangular ports that don’t accelerate as quickly as oval
Ports.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post