DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    wheelie bar vs nose weight
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

wheelie bar vs nose weight
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
I know this has been discussed on here before but I couldn't find it.trying to find whats most beneficial on a dragster.nose weight,wheelie bar or both?
im thinking even though you are adding more weight the ability to add more power would negate that

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
seems to me it must be both.
It's a balancing act between power, clutch or convertor, wheelbase and how far you want to ride the bar.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
What he said.....

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
ya im looking at the benders wheelstand and looks like the wheelie bar alone was 0.00 help

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Well…...if you're looking to control wheelies, I think it's a combination of nose weight, the amount of hook in the chassis, the amount of hook in the track, the amount of power/launch timing curve, torque converter characteristics, overall 1st gear ratio, weather conditions and wheel speed. For what we do the wheelie bar should be used as a means to limit the height of the wheelie, but it should not be on the bar hard every run, then you are taking the chance of unloading tires. Get the balance of the car figured out without relying on the bar to control wheelies.

I am currently doing just that.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
ya im looking at the benders wheelstand and looks like the wheelie bar alone was 0.00 help

In that case I had to set it very high because the track had lots of teeth and I was out of time(runs)to play around with other things to bring the front end down, so I set the bar high as to not unload the tires and let it eat. It worked, but the big wheelie is not what you want. Makes for a cool picture though...……..

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Wheelie bar helps you tune wheel speed and air time.Nose weight just helps you drive. I have seen cars add 30 lbs to nose and go quicker because going straight is still faster.Its 1320' feet why driver 1500' to get there.

Wheelie bar adds weight to rear and leverage's it.

Imo start little heavy on front.Remove little at time till either abusing wheelie bar or you know why you wanted it in first place. You start with no weight and wheelie bar lower,raise little till get right height and/or add weight to keep from hittin it too hard.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4178 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
in my particular case I have been .970 60 foot with no wheelie bar or nose weight and in average to poor air she will lift the tire only a few inches.
but now at the end of the season when the elevation is almost sea level and low grains of water,the car is shooting for the stars.
pulling timing will settle the car down but then if I am in a qualifying situation I don't want to loose et

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Mike

No matter what, if you need a wheelie bar the car needs to be balanced. You don't want the nose too light in any case.

For your deal, if your looking to go fast! then you should be using the bar to control wheel speed during the launch! and not for controlling big wheelies! Going fast is all about wheel speed during the launch. If your nose weight is too light it will be hard to control how hard it hits the wheelie bar at the hit which will in turn make it impossible to tune the wheelie bar. The design of the bar is also important and should match your application.

Oh, and it must be on the car when racing too! LOL

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
This is being used by some to knock out timing to control wheelies. I think Joe O has one too.

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i think the nose is the place to carry weight that is already on the car(battery,air compressor,ect).i think the chassis,engine torque or tires and ect can be tuned to control a wheelie.a wheelie bar should be used as a safety device and should be there for every run,it needs to be long enough and sturdy to work well

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1396 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
One of the things I did that completely cleared up my red light wheelies was to move my battery from mid ship to the nose. It was actually a weight loss with the smaller battery. Plus, the additional leverage knocked out the random red light. Win win!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6377 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
well this is new territory for me so how do you control wheel speed with a wheelie bar????

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
For what its worth Danny Nelson told me when I bought a wheelie bar from him and asked for some advice, he said if your using a wheelie bar to control launch and wheelies on a suspended car your doing something wrong. Long wheelie bars are for hard tails only, when used correctly in addition to a timing curve they need it to control the launch and wheel speed.

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
Mikey Mikey Mikey...... You Cannucks wanna-bees gotta think outside the box!

Get one of your pretty little oriental crew mates to sit up front for the ride of her life!

Smile

So how much more power did you add? Your dragster was working perfect last year when we were helping you!

I remember putting my car on the bumper one day. One pass was perfect. Added 1 degree of timing, ONE LOUSY DEGREE, and the biotch went for the sky! Blue hood, blue sky, all looked the same! Smile Learned how to pedal though..... Wink

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
well this is new territory for me so how do you control wheel speed with a wheelie bar????

Way to much to type here... Call

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
1° can make a huge difference.....

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
When you start going really fast, you use the bars to control wheel speed. As you raise the wheelie bar up, you take wheel speed away. Lowering it adds wheel speed. It doesn’t allow the wheel to compress as far, which allows the tire to spin. A good race track will make the car faster by lowering the wheelie bars, but as the track goes away, raise the bar.”

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
think I get it^^^^^^^

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Wheel speed = controlled spin

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4450 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post