DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    2001 Duramax losing prime
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2001 Duramax losing prime
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted
Coming back from Topeka today I stopped for fuel. Started it up to leave and the engine immediately shut off and would not start. Pumped the filter primer pump several times and started up. A few hundred miles later I hit some traffic and had to brake hard and engine died again, luckily I was in the right lane and able to coast off the freeway. Pumped the primer again and off I went and made it home.

What would cause this and what should I look for?

Posts: 2421 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
I had same problem with my '05. You need to buy the primer rebuild kit and rebuild it. It costs about $30. Mine did it on the way to the track and I bought the kit at a local parts store and rebuilt it while at the track. It takes an hour or so. It's not very hard.

I also noticed my hoses were dry and cracking so I replaced those later. Make sure to use diesel rated hose.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Okay thanks I will get a rebuild kit and check all the hoses. Just weird that it would die like it did under heavy braking.

Posts: 2421 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
Not sure about the hard braking. Maybe it's something else? I stopped for breakfast, came out and truck went 3 ft and cut off. Would not restart. Primed several times before it restarted and limped to the track. No more issues after rebuilding the primer.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of SuperPro54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brktracer:
I had same problem with my '05. You need to buy the primer rebuild kit and rebuild it. It costs about $30. Mine did it on the way to the track and I bought the kit at a local parts store and rebuilt it while at the track. It takes an hour or so. It's not very hard.

I also noticed my hoses were dry and cracking so I replaced those later. Make sure to use diesel rated hose.

X2. Did the same on my 04. They sell a kit to rebuild the filter housing/ primer with the hoses.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SuperPro54,

Posts: 109 | Location: Florida - Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I've also been told the seals on the fuel filter can cause a similar problem.

Posts: 1455 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
What filter are you using?
Like already said probably need to rebuild filter housing.

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rs72z:
What filter are you using?
Like already said probably need to rebuild filter housing.

Wix, replaced it a couple of months back

DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
I had a wix do that on my sons truck once after changing it. Tightened it up a hair more and never did it again.
I recommend using AC brand fuel filter, supposedly the best filter for the dmax's.

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
BALDWIN filter FTW...

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Had a similar issue. Truck sometimes wouldn't start but the biggest problem I had was on my move to Florida. Truck would derate and check engine light would come on. Code for low fuel rail pressure. $6900 later I was back on the road. Injectors failed and were bypassing too much fuel. New injectors and truck runs better than it has in a long time.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Rebuilt the filter housing, put a new AC/Delco filter on, hopefully its fixed

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
Had a similar issue. Truck sometimes wouldn't start but the biggest problem I had was on my move to Florida. Truck would derate and check engine light would come on. Code for low fuel rail pressure. $6900 later I was back on the road. Injectors failed and were bypassing too much fuel. New injectors and truck runs better than it has in a long time.

Same problem we had with our shop truck. Or..should I say our OLD shop truck (Dmax 3500 2006 with a build date of 6/06). Now gone (thank goodness) and picked up a used '14 F350 with a gas engine. It'll use more fuel but it hopefully won't be in the shop every week. Putting $20,000 into repairs alone on the old chevy was ridiculous!

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post