DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Lets Talk engine diapers...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lets Talk engine diapers...
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted
Along with the new paint and fiber glass as part of the upgrades this winter. I thought what better way to protect these upgrades? A diaper to keep it sunny side up if the big boom happens. Stock nova front end with fender well headers... I looked around and looks like a bunch of universal fit out there. Who is using what?

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1394 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
DRE and you're done. In my car it's very tight and the headers are tight to the block. My DRE diaper fits between the header and the block and it's so tight I have to flex the header to slide the diaper in. After a couple of years the diaper has a stain from the header on the silver fabric. The straps fit good and bolt to the end of my heads instead of the headers.
A friend grenaded so bad last year it broke the trans case but the diaper held it all.

Posts: 1455 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I use a universal fit sbc DRE and it’s a 3rd Gen Camaro. Where the diaper contacts the headers in two small areas I used header wrap to keep from burning the diaper. Fits very nice.

I tested mine five years ago and it contained 5 quarts of oil and most of the water in the engine until I got the car stopped and pulled to the side of the track. Then the water slowly over filled the diaper while waiting to be pulled off the track.

Soaked it in simple green and water several times to clean, replaced the absorbent pad and am still using it. I’d purchase another DRE if needed.

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
My first one was a J&J and it was nice.

My last one is the Pro1 and I like it a little better. It fits a little better which is nice.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4002 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
DRE and you're done. In my car it's very tight and the headers are tight to the block. My DRE diaper fits between the header and the block and it's so tight I have to flex the header to slide the diaper in. After a couple of years the diaper has a stain from the header on the silver fabric. The straps fit good and bolt to the end of my heads instead of the headers.
A friend grenaded so bad last year it broke the trans case but the diaper held it all.

Header are not a problem for me since the fender well. Room for days around the bottom.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1394 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
DRE and be done, I dumped 8qts of oil and most of my water at the 1320 @7500 rpm and when I pulled off the track it had a 1/2" drip under the diaper, no diaper and there is no doubt I would have buying a new chasis after that pass. I will never run a car w/o one. Not worthy

Posts: 607 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of ytoddmalibu
posted Hide Post
Dennis Ridgeway makes some of the best, I have the double kevlar with kevlar straps and it fits like he made it spicifically for my car. I will never have a car on the track without one ever,

Todd P

3/28/2014 RIP Juli Pasch the love of my life for ever

Posts: 29 | Location: MidMichMotorplex | Registered: December 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HR3377:
DRE and be done, I dumped 8qts of oil and most of my water at the 1320 @7500 rpm and when I pulled off the track it had a 1/2" drip under the diaper, no diaper and there is no doubt I would have buying a new chasis after that pass. I will never run a car w/o one. Not worthy

"I will never run a car w/o one" Absolutely I agree with that. While I like the Pro 1 best of the ones I have used just use one no matter the brand.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4002 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I have a universal on my dragster, all kinds of room but it still sucks to work with.

My Nova has stock motor mounts and normal headers. DRE made a diaper specifically for my oil pan part number. So much nicer to install and change oil. The quality is apparent.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3154 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
DJ Safety here. Like having the third set of straps, and the fit is pretty good and tight around a rear sump pan. Little more expensive though.

Posts: 24 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
http://www.enginediapers.com/

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
My diaper is the one in the pics of the engine on the stand on DRE's site. The silver part is where the header sits against.

Posts: 1455 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
DRE Great customer service and can repair a damaged diaper. I know this for a fact.

Posts: 51 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
DRE, great fit great price, no problems draining the oil and replacing the filter, quick and easy.

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Dead On
posted Hide Post
I have DJ safety currently, I had a Jegs universal on my dragster it worked good never had to use it thank goodness. The Dj is on a door car, big block chassis car tight headers. The big plus for me is there a hooks with a safety button on the diaper it means not having to undo the straps to remove the diaper just loosen and unhook. Make oil changes and bottom end work if needed much much easier. Your getting lots of great hints here, some from the school of hard knocks, don't ever go down the track without one PERIOD what ever brand you choose.

Posts: 73 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Any fitment issue I was gonna have just got solved.. Smith racecraft on the way lol..

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have the generic one from Jegs on my door car and am very happy with it.

Posts: 403 | Location: a race track near you | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead On:
don't ever go down the track without one PERIOD what ever brand you choose.

This! Every dedicated bracket car, regardless of ET, should have a diaper or belly pan.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I assume the DRE diaper I see in some of the pictures can survive touching the headers? My BBC headers in a door car run next to the oil pan.

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe C:
I assume the DRE diaper I see in some of the pictures can survive touching the headers? My BBC headers in a door car run next to the oil pan.

If that is the case, Dennis will put Kevlar panels on the sides that won't burn. That's how mine was done.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3154 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post