DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dragster headers?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dragster headers?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Freddie
posted
Ok so is there any difference in performance on up swept vs down swept headers on dragsters or is it simply owner preference? I am working with a Small block with the Stahl pattern and need headers just looking for some info before I buy something. Also if anyone has anything laying around let me know. Price could sway my decision.

Posts: 685 | Location: Anderson SC. | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I like my upswept headers because you don’t get burned near as often.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Yea, its monkey see, monkey do.... that being said I have the downs on this car but liked the ups on the old car better and if I bought new it would be ups and chromed...

Posts: 266 | Location: Irving, Texas | Registered: March 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Easier plug access,No ankle damage or flash burns.
More floor space for more junk. ETC. Plus if you have an engine issue, the *** hopefully won't blow under the hides. Plus if you're running Q16, it is an excellent mosquito killer.lol

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Freddie:
Ok so is there any difference in performance on up swept vs down swept headers on dragsters or is it simply owner preference? I am working with a Small block with the Stahl pattern and need headers just looking for some info before I buy something. Also if anyone has anything laying around let me know. Price could sway my decision.

Apples to apples IMO none that you would ever see on track!

For the folks who complain about burning legs with down swepts,, take your pick, arms for up swepts and legs for down! Looks is just personal preference.

For racers putting two dragsters in one trailer, ups may provide more space but I have never had issues doing this with either.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
LOL, I have up's and if i get burned it is my knee area (when fueling etc) or my wrist area (when pulling a plug for a read).

Scott

Posts: 1838 | Location: Illinois | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
not to hijack, but is there a real advantage of stainless vs mild steel? thinking about some new ones myself?

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Freddie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DRB Motorsports:
not to hijack, but is there a real advantage of stainless vs mild steel? thinking about some new ones myself?

Good question. I was also considering if there is any difference in the Borla Mufflers or just open?

Posts: 685 | Location: Anderson SC. | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
IMO stainless is the only way to go. Steel will rust from the inside out.

Borla collector mufflers work good, usually you loose ET based on the weight they add vs just an open collector, HP is not normally effected from what I have seen.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mad Dog
posted Hide Post
Have had both, burns can happen with either if you're not careful...

Didn't see any notable performance difference between either ups or downs. Some will say downs have less wind resistance, for what that's worth...

The stainless up-swept Borlas with the big Borlas mufflers did weigh quite a bit more than the stainless Fab Shop down-swept with merge collectors. My guess would be twice as heavy...

Don't forget to have the collectors welded per rule book or install the clamp and cable kits that are available...

Dan

Dan

DOES YOUR IDEOLOGY ALLOW YOU TO EQUITABLY APPLY STANDARDS OF ACCOUNTABILITY OR DOES IT PROMOTE THE PRACTICE OF HYPOCRISY?

Posts: 226 | Location: ... --- ... | Registered: November 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DRB Motorsports:

If you plan to keep them awhile go stainless. Like Al said, all the mild steel ones eventually rust. My stainless headers are also coated so I don’t need to keep up with polishing them.

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
its harder to work in the trans area with ups.cant coast without rocks going in pipes.i think downs just look better

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1408 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I can tell you one thing. the Dynatek ups i have are heavy. Stainless, 38 Lbs each

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
It comes down to personal preference on look and sound honestly... My car has Fabshop stainless steel gen 3 downswepts and those are my all time favorite header made. From what I understand though, there really isn't much of a difference between ups/downs, stainless/mild steel and muffler or no muffler really. If there is any difference, your talking like .02 at the most really.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
IMO stainless is the only way to go. Steel will rust from the inside out.

Borla collector mufflers work good, usually you loose ET based on the weight they add vs just an open collector, HP is not normally effected from what I have seen.

Agree with Al on the Borlas. I just put the typical chrome Dynatech downswept on my car... they are cool looking but I'm not impressed with the quality. Go with a good set of stainless.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post