DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Piston flavor of choice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piston flavor of choice
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
So what is everyone's piston of choice?

Going to bump cubes .125 bore and throw some compression 2.5 to 3 points and figure ordering now might get me a set before Jan.. LOL

Normally run Arias,Venolia or Ross. Not sure Venolia even still in business since Joe died. Ross are just freaking heavy as he11.

So what piston are you running? For those who build your engines what do you like or dislike about them.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4174 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I have used nothing but Wiseco .Support with Vic is top notch. They will make you anything. Want a pin moved 10 thou, no problem.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Probably where ever Ed Urcis is working. Over the past 25+ years I've bought pistons from Ed when he worked at Aris, JE and CP. Great service, very knowledgeable guy.

Bob

Posts: 3080 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
Probably where ever Ed Urcis is working. Over the past 25+ years I've bought pistons from Ed when he worked at Aris, JE and CP. Great service, very knowledgeable guy.

Bob

Ed was with Diamond but since they were bought- have no idea.
Still talk with Dave Calvert weekly.
CP Pistons talk to Rick - Chris. I can PM contact.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4470 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:

Bob

Ed was with Diamond but since they were bought- have no idea.
Still talk with Dave Calvert weekly.
CP Pistons talk to Rick - Chris. I can PM contact.

Ok send me contact and I will give them a call.

Posts: 4174 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
PM sent Chris.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4470 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
CP is the choice for me.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If I were building new, diamond right now for me personally. Most choices are just fine though I feel like

Posts: 785 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
most of the professional bracket engine builders are using either Diamond or Wiesco pistons which are now owned by the same company and I have both in my engines. Sunset uses CP.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
And having trouble out of both..

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Wrong

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
CP for us for a long time now.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 985 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
The last SB I built I used the same piston that was previously used in the engine....JE and they were a shelf piston

Short pins, slipper skirts, round wire pin locks and narrow rings with side gas ports

The engine is fast that they are in and I'm about to start building another one and will probably use the same pistons.....have a new block and heads already

I used Wisecos in my own 584.....again a shelf stock Quick 16 piston.....and had Diamonds in the same engine as a 565....They were excellent....

CP's in my EFI stocker.....

From what I know most of the piston companies are all owned by the same parent company......prices went way up the last few years.....wonder why ! LOL

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Cp was on my list of possibles a dn seems a lot here like them.

Mine are anything but off the shelf. Pretty sure there is going to be a good amount of delay, which is fine since planning around it. Not going to need them till about NOV. at best.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Wrong
Keep thinking that

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I have used them all including Ross. Never had a piston problem that wasn't caused by something else including the tune.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6374 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Is this for the hemi? I wouldn't think that any of the people mentioned are gonna wanna screw with a custom hemi piston. Call BAE

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Only one has said they wouldn't have anything. Only thing really custom is pin location. They liked being able to leave extra meat in valve reliefs and me fly cutting to fit.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bry-war:
Is this for the hemi? I wouldn't think that any of the people mentioned are gonna wanna screw with a custom hemi piston. Call BAE

CP has been building fast Hemi pistons for years.
TAFC and Digger.

https://www.cp-carrillo.com/n-...er-hemi-engines.html

Nothing wrong with BAE or others by the way,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BP758,

Raceless in California!

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I had great luck with Ross in my TD engine. They just didn't give up, had literally hundreds of passes on them at 25-30# boost and 8000-8400 RPM and they were ready for more. Current owner of the engine has put many more passes on it and they still look good. They are hard anodized, maybe that is one reason they are so durable....

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post