DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Mono-shock dragster. What brand shock?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mono-shock dragster. What brand shock?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
I have been using an AFCO but between the spring and valving it just seems very stiff, no matter where we set it. You can feel the difference but not much. Wants to try to rattle the tire and this whip isn't that fast. M/T 3191
Just looking for experiences you have had with mono-shock manufacturers or "shock service shops".
Thanks,
Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1217 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
My Worthy mono shock has a Strange shock. Seems to work fine. Driver needs help though. LOL

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Is your shock laying flat? That seems to be a concern when I called Strange and talked to JC.

Posts: 1217 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toad1:
Wants to try to rattle the tire and this whip isn't that fast. M/T 3191

Laughing very hard

quote:
Don't bother with Hoosier comments, do not want those "rattlers" on the car again.

One year later, same shyt about rattling your tires but now with emp-tees and the Grid. Laughing Hard

There's more mono shock dragsters getting down the track without issue running an Afco shock then any other.

AGAIN, fix your car!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
Jok - we use Penske and have for 5 years now like most manufacturers now days. Eric Davis is probably the most familiar with the dragsters out there at this time.

You can reach him at his office in Michigan - 517-592-6681

He is a great guy and easy to talk to.

Just tell him we sent ya!

Posts: 2099 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pivotdoc:
Well just an a update to what I found. Most of the heims in the 4 link were locked up/frozen. Some were pretty badly galled, appears my stellar maintenance program those had been in the car 10 seasons, at least 1000 runs. New joints, put Afco shocks back on reset everything and boom right down the track no chatter. So my advice is check your stuff.

from this thread where many were telling him his issue was his shocks...

https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/foru...0760912/m/3117088976

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks Scott, I will give him a call. Appreciate the recommendation.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I carry the JRI brand of shocks and am the former drag race market manager of Penske Racing shocks. I stand by all the products I sell and have quite a bit of cars since I started my business running our product. I can definetly go over your options with you. My company doesn't just sell the products we continue to look after our racers. Give me a call 484-529-3501. We also service many brands so I can give you an idea of what you are looking at with other shocks. You have quite a few options.

Posts: 21 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 00 DEAD ON
posted Hide Post
I have a 08 American and I use the Ohlin Shock

Brian Mollison
2009 RaceTech Dragster
2020 Sumerduck Dragway VA Top ET Champion
2017 Sumerduck Top ET & SSS Track Champion
2017 MAC Top ET Track Champion
2009 Sumerduck Dragway Va Top ET & IHRA SSS Track Champion
2008 IHRA Division 1 Top ET Bracket Final Runner-up
2007 Colonial Beach Dragway Top ET Track Champion

Posts: 1026 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been using an AFCO but between the spring and valving it just seems very stiff, no matter where we set it. You can feel the difference but not much. Wants to try to rattle the tire and this whip isn't that fast. M/T 3191
Just looking for experiences you have had with mono-shock manufacturers or "shock service shops".
Thanks,
Jok

Jok

With any mono shock car, the first thing you need to know when looking at the shock (builder should know this too but some just don't or don't care) is the ratio of the rear movement vs the shock movement. Without that is a crap shoot! BTW this also impacts the spring selection too.
I'd jack the car up, put it on jack stands and then using a jack move the rear up or down one inch and measure how much the shock moves, this will give you your ratio. That along with the rear end weight will allow you to talk to a shock company with the info they would require.

Just bolting on an off the shelve shock that was design to mount behind the rear of a car is just wrong.

As to what company to use, AFCO is a decent shock as are many out there. But I will say this, the faster you go the more you will see your more expensive shocks shine!

I'd get the info I mentioned and then start by calling AFCO and go from there.

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
4-link dragster, 1875 lbs, 4.10 gear, 1000H.P. 565"

all he needs is what he's got. Countless cars like his get down the track without issue every week all across the country.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Jok,

When the Vari-Shock leaked like they all did I called Eric Worthy. He gave me the number of the shock to order from Strange and told me to tell them to put the valving in it for Eric Worthy. He told me where to set the shock compression and rebound. I did that and have never changed it. Car goes right down Broadway. Driver is lacking.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Jok,

When the Vari-Shock leaked like they all did I called Eric Worthy. He gave me the number of the shock to order from Strange and told me to tell them to put the valving in it for Eric Worthy. He told me where to set the shock compression and rebound. I did that and have never changed it. Car goes right down Broadway. Driver is lacking.

That's pretty much what I said above...

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sweigart1022:
I carry the JRI brand of shocks and am the former drag race market manager of Penske Racing shocks. I stand by all the products I sell and have quite a bit of cars since I started my business running our product. I can definetly go over your options with you. My company doesn't just sell the products we continue to look after our racers. Give me a call 484-529-3501. We also service many brands so I can give you an idea of what you are looking at with other shocks. You have quite a few options.

Call this guy^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. The shock is about 7 years old, maybe 1200-1250 runs so it's time it gets looked at.
I will burn up the phones tomorrow. Again, appreciate your help.

Like the idea of figuring out the ratio of the arm to the rear end. I will have that info when I call them.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
quote:
Originally posted by sweigart1022:

Call this guy^^^^^^^^^^^^^

X2!!!!

Posts: 114 | Location: pa | Registered: September 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
adam lambert at prs he is the best in the business

Posts: 155 | Location: Syracuse NY | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
it's a 7.60s car at best, maybe slower it don't need no custom valved shock.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I agree with ed here but I would at least send it back to afco and have them refresh it.they can get you pretty darn close knowing your combo and just drop it back in
JRI was the worst customer service I ever had as far as shocks go.would never ever use them again even if they had a good product.

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Jenavet you are buying the JRI product from me. They are the manufacturer which since I left Penske they let go of there Drag manager. Myself and my partner Adam Hornberger are a major distributor for them. We are currently working with them to work on their product. If you still have the JRI I would love to help you with it. We stand by the product we sell which is the JRI. We take it apart and make it the way we want. My cell phone # is 484-529-3501. Like I said if you still have your JRI even though I didn't sell it to you I would love to work with you on it.

Posts: 21 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post