DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Mono-shock dragster. What brand shock?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mono-shock dragster. What brand shock?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
i had a 08 mullis mono shock dragster and trying to run 4.70s it was shaking the tires with the 33.5-16-16 c07 and a stange shock and 500lb spring, I changed to the the same tire in hoosier and went to c06s with a 450 spring going from 4.10 to 4.30 gear and small 4 kink re adjust and it fixed the shaking and et loss and I got down to a 4.61. just my experience though.

Posts: 30 | Location: tennessee | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Like I said if you still have your JRI even though I didn't sell it to you I would love to work with you on it.

ok thank you because that was a rough experience

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
Like I said if you still have your JRI even though I didn't sell it to you I would love to work with you on it.

ok thank you because that was a rough experience

Mike, I think you dealt with the same bozo I did at JRI a number of years back... which caused your agg!

They do make a nice shock though.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
ya al I talked to you right in the middle of that mess

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
It is a great product but as you all mentioned was misrepresented. The guy that started JRI is the same guy that hired me at Penske in 05. Let me know if I can help either of you. Sorry for the issues you had.

Posts: 21 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
On your car it should not matter which brand of shock you put on it or even where you set it, you should not be rattling the tires.

Go back to square one and find your real issue. Have you had a professional actually scale the car? What are the weights of all 4 tires on the scale? What is your pinion angle? Where are the 4 link bars set, and where does it throw the center of gravity to based on the intersect point?

IF what I have read is true and you have a dragster running roughly 480’s then you should have no problem with either a Strange shock or an Afco shock

Currently running 450’s on Afco’s in a 4 link and have never even touched the shock setting.

Penske and Ohlin are “better” shocks some would say, but unless you are running 440’s or quicker then I really do not think you can get any benefit from the shock change

Posts: 789 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
As I already stated on page 1 in my initial reply, fix the car, the shock is not the issue.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
I think its a few things. 1200 runs on a shock, probably needs rebuilding and at some point is not planting the tire or keeping it planted and rattling. second I would want to know the bar angles and pinion angle as stated above, you might not be aggressive enough or now that your shock is worn out you could be overly aggressive.

Ryan Fasano

2014 Byron Overall Track Champion
Byron's actual elevation is 730' because that matters more than winning anything ever....

Posts: 535 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: January 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Ed and all

By design, a 4 link dragster is pretty numb when is comes to 4 link settings and shocks, many configurations will work. They have a large sweet spot! But as you go faster this gets smaller and smaller. No rocket science here. But to say that all shocks are the same in Jok's application is just untrue,,,, or we would all still be running on Gabrial High Jacker air shocks! Big Grin Now that's not to say he needs a high dollar shock to make his car work either! And to your point Ed, he may have a car issue and I could be a bad shock too. (You can't test the shock(s) by hand seeing how they change vs settings) When issues occur, data loggers shine! and allow you to get to the root of the problem much faster than a trial ad error method but that's another discussion. When the mono shock deal came out, many had no idea how this impacted the shock and Ed that includes your idle UC! They just picked a shock that fit in the car and off they went. It took a bit and also with the data loggers becoming more common place, soon many saw that the shock settings from full soft to full stiff made no difference! And this was due to the rear end to shock movement ratio. The shocks that were being used just couldn't control the rear end because they were not valve'ed correctly for the application so they were just along for the ride so to speak. (But they still went down the track!)

So anyone one considering buying or rebuilding their current shock with this deal, needs to have the shock/rear ratio. There are a bunch of builders producing mono shock cars with different geometry's so you can't use one from another or even from the same builder from different years. If you don't think this is important, I may be able to dig up an old Gabrial High Jacker air shock I can let go cheap! PM ME!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rymo:
I think its a few things. 1200 runs on a shock, probably needs rebuilding and at some point is not planting the tire or keeping it planted and rattling. second I would want to know the bar angles and pinion angle as stated above, you might not be aggressive enough or now that your shock is worn out you could be overly aggressive.

Explain to me how pinion angle effects anything with regards to hook! Other than minimizing the u joint angle to the DS, it's just a number.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Al, you and I know it doesn't but the clueless believe it does based on what they read written decades ago by a nobody.

Now about his shock, my point again is...

1. the Afco shock on his car is not his issue unless it somehow went "bad"

2. his car doesn't need a custom shock and again, countless cars running the same ETs as him and quicker are getting down the track every week running the same afco shock.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
question. what is the advantage to the mono shock. why make one shock do the work of two.

ep-you have to run such a stiff spring rate and run the shock so stiff to compensate the loss of the other shock

can't understand the engineering behind it I guess

Posts: 763 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:

By design, a 4 link dragster is pretty numb when is comes to 4 link settings and shocks, many configurations will work.......

There is something even the dumb door car guy can agree with.....and......pretty sure that Gabriel will work on a properly set up 7 second dragster.

Smile

NHRA Pro Stock..........now on a no CARB diet.

Posts: 2764 | Location: ohio | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
i agree it is just a number, however in extreme cases the harmonics and bind of the two can cause issues and a feel of rattling. It would only really play havoc in the extreme cases but I have seen with my own swingarm application the results from a near neutral pinion angle rattling at the top of first to adding more angle and smoothing the transition out, I believe it was due to the neutral angles so neutral that it wasn't happy and wanted more bind to the ring gear (although I'm not sure if that is correct. I'm not arguing with Ed on this, he'd call someone, I've done aba testing. I wish the person who knew a lot about swingarm dragster and pinions would chime in but I fear he doesn't want to get dragged into a pissing contest even though he is #1 is passes / and probably money won in an American like mine....

Ryan Fasano

Byron's actual elevation is 730' because that matters more than winning anything ever....

Posts: 535 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: January 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
I've always strived for 0 pinion angle in my suspended door stuff and have never noticed any adverse effects ...... but maybe this is comparing apples and oranges?

Also no denying that a bit of negative adds very slightly to the hit ..... it's not much and you have to be pretty sharp to see it...... but it's there.

Maybe again apples and oranges?

NHRA Pro Stock..........now on a no CARB diet.

Posts: 2764 | Location: ohio | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
question. what is the advantage to the mono shock. why make one shock do the work of two.

can't understand the engineering behind it I guess

So, good question... IMO part of the answer is sales, the latest greatest thing to generate sales! Also one shock can be cheaper than two,,, but not always depending on the application and shock used. A mono shock setup also does the same work a torsion bar does on a standard 4 link setup, at least to some extent.

BTW, UC before they closed shop came out with a duel shock setup using the mono shock framing and called it their Top Dragster setup, again sales IMO.

One shock can do the job in these things when engineered correctly.

DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
I don't think much can be done to the hook side of things with angle, however when the car separates and relaxes there is some movement that could be affected by an extreme case and why I think the top of first gear is where it would occur. I'm no expert, don't claim to be like all knowing puppeteer but I know what I did on my own car and what an expert told me and by expert I mean #1 ranked in a dragster...

Ryan Fasano

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XPS fan:
I've always strived for 0 pinion angle in my suspended door stuff and have never noticed any adverse effects ...... but maybe this is comparing apples and oranges?

Also no denying that a bit of negative adds very slightly to the hit ..... it's not much and you have to be pretty sharp to see it...... but it's there.

Maybe again apples and oranges?

Can you elaborate on the negative PA creating more hit? Is this a PM deal that you only see due to the power these combo's have?

DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
The two are similar but have different advantages. 4 links are more adjustable for the "hit" but are less stable at the finish line. Swingarms have less adjustability (one less shock) but are more "stable" at speed due to the cage in the back being more square and solid. That is what 3 of the big chassis builders told me at the time of purchase, American, miller, undercover. I have driven both types.

Ryan Fasano

DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
Jok, also for whats its worth I have had my afco shock rebuilt and it made a big difference. I don't know if they changed the valving of it, or if something was bad but I had the opposite happening I couldn't make it real stiff. Its like a MSD box you send in or lifters, you call and ask what was wrong, "nothing" and they send it back but yet all your problems are gone..... evidence gone

Ryan Fasano