DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    2010 Silverado 6.0L spark plug issues
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2010 Silverado 6.0L spark plug issues
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
My tow vehicle has been hard on plugs it seems. Last winter I changed them after owning the truck for a year. I have no idea how old they were. One was missing the entire electrode.
So 10 months later, and maybe 4000 miles, I get a loud backfire in the exhaust....very loud. Tonight I check the plugs, and they look like they have been in it for 80k miles, not 4000. The gap is opened way up. Black on the ring. Even the outside of some of the plugs look corroded. AC Delco's.
What can cause this?
Only code recently is a downstream o2 sensor.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
It's an iridium plug. 41-162

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
It using any oil? whats the dtc for the sensor?

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
No and I will check

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
I would think that O2 sensor issue could cause some other problems, if the PCM tries to compensate for a perceived rich or lean condition by trying to adjust the air/fuel ratio.
I changed the Iridium plugs on my old 2002 6.0 HD2500 every 80-100,000 miles out of guilt, they always looked good enough to put back in for another 100K.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1032 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
Check for intake leaks. Also these are diplacment on demand engines, could be lifter issue. How does the engine sound? Have you kept up on the oil changes? are you using the factory recommended oil.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 236 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1leg:
Check for intake leaks. Also these are diplacment on demand engines, could be lifter issue. How does the engine sound? Have you kept up on the oil changes? are you using the factory recommended oil.

No dod. Engine sounds fine and runs smooth. Yes on oil changes with the recommended.

The old code that it had previously popped was P2273 Sensor signal stuck rich bank 2 sensor 2

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:

No dod. Engine sounds fine and runs smooth. Yes on oil changes with the recommended.

The old code that it had previously popped was P2273 Sensor signal stuck rich bank 2 sensor 2

As far as the dtc set, if nothing is causing a rich condition on that bank, id replace that o2z. But position 2 is just the catalyst monitoring sensor which wouldn’t affect fuel trim.

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DRB Motorsports:
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:

As far as the dtc set, if nothing is causing a rich condition on that bank, id replace that o2z. But position 2 is just the catalyst monitoring sensor which wouldn’t affect fuel trim.

That was my thought as well. I have had some tell me that they can trigger extra fuel to keep the cat hot. I had not heard that before. Three new plugs in it, cleaned the MAF and drove it. Everything normal. Even ran the hp tuners scan while driving and I didn’t see anything odd. I’ll eventually pull the injectors for a cleaning to see if that is any issue too. Just weird

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
That is weird, Bucky. Especially with only 4K miles on the plugs.
You said you replaced 3 of the plugs, did you look at all 8? Are they all mostly consistent in appearance?
How many miles on the truck?
I wouldn't think the injectors should need cleaning. Even the crappiest, cheapest gasoline is required to meet minimum detergent additive content these days, to keep fuel injectors functional. My 02 had just under 300K miles when I sold it, never had to pull, clean or replace an injector, and I always just used cheap regular unleaded.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1032 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
You said you replaced 3 of the plugs, did you look at all 8? Are they all mostly consistent in appearance?
I wouldn't think the injectors should need cleaning. Even the crappiest, cheapest gasoline is required to meet minimum detergent additive content these days, to keep fuel injectors functional. My 02 had just under 300K miles when I sold it, never had to pull, clean or replace an injector, and I always just used cheap regular unleaded.

Agreed. dont think ive seen a failed injector for those MY trucks. however, alot of stuck piston rings and lifter/cam issues. The plug that was missing the strap wasn't #1 or 7 was it?

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DRB Motorsports:
quote:

Agreed. dont think ive seen a failed injector for those MY trucks. however, alot of stuck piston rings and lifter/cam issues. The plug that was missing the strap wasn't #1 or 7 was it?

I don’t think so
That was the last set.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:

all 8 were consistent this time

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo