DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Looking for Dragster Tires that shake less
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Dragster Tires that shake less
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Bucky,have you looked at the Hoosier 15x33 #18372 tire? It's Hoosiers' answer to the 3080 Mickey.I've run 'em both and the Hoosier is a few numbers quicker.It's about 105 roll out.

Posts: 106 | Location: Indy | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dtye:
Bucky,have you looked at the Hoosier 15x33 #18372 tire? It's Hoosiers' answer to the 3080 Mickey.I've run 'em both and the Hoosier is a few numbers quicker.It's about 105 roll out.

By memory mine is the 18260. The 18372 is .5 wider, an inch taller and the same compound, d05. How fast have you run on the 18372 60'?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Actually,the 18372 is a C06 compound,but it has a STIFF sidewall which works better with a hard 60 ft.I've been 1.10 in my door car w/it and 1.03 in my 4-link altered.That tire is the best working Hoosier I ever had and I've about all of them.

Posts: 106 | Location: Indy | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
that tire is a DO6 compound but the CO6 is what he needs short of going to 16" tires

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The 260 is also a stiff sidewall according to the Hoosier chart.

Lets talk hoosier compounds. Their sliderule shows D05 and D06 on the soft side of the chart, followed by C06. C11 and D07 much firmer. Then much further yet to the firm side is the C1500 and C2055, which seems to be what they are using for fast cars. My assumption is that the firmer compounds don't dig as hard so the car can get up on the tire quicker and skip past shake.

Also when it comes to firm vs regular vs soft sidewall: They don't have the stiff sidewall marked on the tire description like they do for the rest of the chart. BUT, they put the indication that that tire uses the A* tube, which they label as a liner. I see nothing else on their website requiring the liner nor suggesting it. So do they consider these tires not stiff sidewall wise? Are they saying the liner is used to stiffen the tire? I have never known anyone not in a funnycar to use a liner.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
A liner does stiffen the the tire. You will have on average 55 psi in the liner and pick your poison on air pressure of the tire 5-6 Psi. A lot of alcohol guys run liners. Basically serves the same purpose as a bead lock. I have installed many for the guys next door when they where changing out hides for test. On this rattle trap.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine has a durometer to check compound stiffness and we could barely see any difference between the D06 and the 07.I can tell ya this new 18372 sidewall is WAY stiffer than any other Hoosier I've seen and put hands on.It's just my opinion but I think they're worth a try on your car.By the way,I was wrong about the rollout,they're 103-103 1/2.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually,the 18372 is a C06 compound,but it has a STIFF sidewall which works better with a hard 60 ft.I've been 1.10 in my door car w/it and 1.03 in my 4-link altered.That tire is the best working Hoosier I ever had and I've about all of them.

With as similar as that tire is to mine, I am reluctant to try them.
The MT 3080 is the tire that the MT tech recommends for a 15" tire, and thought it would be fine for what I am trying to do. He did say that 16" opens some more opportunities including the Bubba's. But also wouldn't be afraid to go with the 3080 for this application. I did speak with one other fella who has run the 3080. He is going much faster now with the littles, but said the 3080 capacity had not been exceeded running faster than I am right now. Another crazy turbo dragster guy.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
A friend of mine has a durometer to check compound stiffness and we could barely see any difference between the D06 and the 07.I can tell ya this new 18372 sidewall is WAY stiffer than any other Hoosier I've seen and put hands on.It's just my opinion but I think they're worth a try on your car.By the way,I was wrong about the rollout,they're 103-103 1/2.

They don't go into much detail about how stiff the sidewall is. Just stiff, so your feel may actually be more telling. They are wider, at least an inch more roll out, and if they are stiffer, they may very well be an improvement. Man I just don't want to TRY another possible shaker though. I see you have gone 1.03. But if they shake at .99, I'm hoping that is a problem for me.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
A liner does stiffen the the tire. You will have on average 55 psi in the liner and pick your poison on air pressure of the tire 5-6 Psi. A lot of alcohol guys run liners. Basically serves the same purpose as a bead lock. I have installed many for the guys next door when they where changing out hides for test. On this rattle trap.

I haven't run tubes in forever. But I do wonder if tubes have some of that stiffening effect as well. I bet liners are fun.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:

I haven't run tubes in forever. But I do wonder if tubes have some of that stiffening effect as well. I bet liners are fun.

Back in the 70's, we always ran tubes. Ran GY and M&H if you remember those lol. With a splash of VHT.. Everything hooked.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I remember! But I wasn't old enough to drive quite yet.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Fab this up and bolted to the floor. A little easier.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I just switched to the 3080s this season. I've been running the 3074s for 5 years or so. SBC 4 link dragster. Been 1.019 60' on the 3074s plenty of 1.02s. 1.03s on the 3080 so far. I haven't changed the gear to offset the increased height yet. Still doing a little tweaking and learning before I change, only 3 races on the 3080s.

Posts: 477 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by team:
I just switched to the 3080s this season. I've been running the 3074s for 5 years or so. SBC 4 link dragster. Been 1.019 60' on the 3074s plenty of 1.02s. 1.03s on the 3080 so far. I haven't changed the gear to offset the increased height yet. Still doing a little tweaking and learning before I change, only 3 races on the 3080s.

That's great to hear. Might get to test next weekend.
Great short times on an na sbc by the way!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, tubes do stiffen sidewall some and made a difference for the better on my front engine dragster.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by team:

How much tire pressure? Weight of car including driver if you want to share. Just getting a ball park. Is that a hard tail suspended front?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted Hide Post
Bucky, what did you end up running? I can say the 18372 is way stiffer than any Hoosier I have tried. My car would shake like crazy until I put the 3080 on it. Just tough to get them matching size but work really well. I've been 1.08 and 4.90's in a door car. The Hoosier 18372 wouldn't shake either and I would shake every other Hoosier I tried. You can tell mounting them they are way stiffer.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inferno camaro:
Bucky, what did you end up running? I can say the 18372 is way stiffer than any Hoosier I have tried. My car would shake like crazy until I put the 3080 on it. Just tough to get them matching size but work really well. I've been 1.08 and 4.90's in a door car. The Hoosier 18372 wouldn't shake either and I would shake every other Hoosier I tried. You can tell mounting them they are way stiffer.

Here's another way of looking at it, this my approach. What is shake? Shake is caused by egg shaped tires.

On a tight track you run lower pressure & vice versa loose track. So pressure is traction & too much pressure is too much traction, resulting in shake (egg shaped tires).

The same fundamental apply's to the end of the burnout, where the tire has increased 1 psi of pressure for every 10 degrees of temp increase.

For this reason you don't set the pressure in the staging lanes based on anything other than the type burnout you intend on performing, in conjunction with the amount of moisture in the air, in which you introduce into the tire, every time you fill it, which then evaporates into gas, further inflating the tire according to the tires temp, at the end of the burnout.

Have you ever hit the tire with a infared heat gun, after the burnout?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
Originally posted by inferno camaro:

Here's another way of looking at it, this my approach. What is shake? Shake is caused by egg shaped tires.

On a tight track you run lower pressure & vice versa loose track. So pressure is traction & too much pressure is too much traction, resulting in shake (egg shaped tires).

The same fundamental apply's to the end of the burnout, where the tire has increased 1 psi of pressure for every 10 degrees of temp increase.

For this reason you don't set the pressure in the staging lanes based on anything other than the type burnout you intend on performing, in conjunction with the amount of moisture in the air, in which you introduce into the tire, every time you fill it which then evaporates into gas further inflating the tire according to the tires temp, at the end of the burnout.

Have you ever hit the tire with a infared heat gun, after the burnout?

heck i see the tire temp all the way thru the burn out most of the time

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1517 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post